Any COPS that will last on the cheap side? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Any COPS that will last on the cheap side?

My car has a very slight miss and idles bad some times and Im pretty sure its a COP, I DO NOT get any codes. My question is are the ACCELS any good or the Granatelli? I dont care about gains in hp or mpg I just want good long lasting ones.

Or should I buy one motorcraft COP and go hunting lol
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02
My car has a very slight miss and idles bad some times and Im pretty sure its a COP, I DO NOT get any codes. My question is are the ACCELS any good or the Granatelli? I dont care about gains in hp or mpg I just want good long lasting ones.

Or should I buy one motorcraft COP and go hunting lol
I've heard the accels are no good but that's just what I've heard personally I'd go with the motorcraft ones. Also the MSDs are good from what I've heard also
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I actually just installed the Accell COPs today. They fire great and made a noticeable difference in how smooth the car runs and there is a decent gain in the throttle response.

I don't know how long they will lays but I do know that my mechanic at the local speed shop (in business for the last 40 years) says that he lives and dies by MSD. He pushed pretty hard to get me to buy the MSD blaster COPs and he wasn't trying to just up his sell either since he knew
I was getting them elsewhere because he couldn't get them as quick and I needed them.
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: California
I have accels since 2010 no problems,
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Any COPS that will last on the cheap side?

stay OEM every other one out there just seem to have SO many issues and OEM does all you will need.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Personally.. I live and die by MSD as well. Used MSD in every vechicle I've ever had and no issues. I had a coil burn out in a 90 Bronco, replaced with the Blaster TFI coil, had 2 coils go bad in an electrical surge in my 02 Expedition and now it runs awesome with a slight increase in MPG (1-2 MPG on average) after using the MSD COP's, and use the same MSD COP's in my 00 GT with an increase in the power and torque band top end length. Even have a 6AL box brand new still in the box just sitting in my closet I got a while back.. but no vehicle to put it in now.. Love MSD.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

if you want to go cheap, get a few out of your local junk yard.

i've seen here (and elsewhere) mixed reviews on the accel cop's. i'm getting ready to change my plugs (NGK iridium ix?), and considering the msd blasters myself. i just don't know if the 'bang for buck' or 'seat of pants' feel is going to reflect the $375 investment.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
if you want to go cheap, get a few out of your local junk yard.

i've seen here (and elsewhere) mixed reviews on the accel cop's. i'm getting ready to change my plugs (NGK iridium ix?), and considering the msd blasters myself. i just don't know if the 'bang for buck' or 'seat of pants' feel is going to reflect the $375 investment.
It won't, but the combo of those 2 will help your power and torque band to not drop off as soon as it does now. You'll notice you will still have power acceleration after 4000 RPM, and you won't drop power at around 5200 RPM.. it will go out further to around 5500 to 5700 RPM before dropping off. Exhaust also really helps this. But I highly recommend the NGK IX's and MSD coils. You may also notice a slight increase in fuel economy, and depending on how old or worn out your plugs and coils are, you may gain some "lost" power back.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT