01 Mustang vs 99 camaro? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
01 Mustang vs 99 camaro?

Which would win, I raced one at the track and I beat him. It had the Z28 badges, now if it was a true Z28 I'm not sure. But it felt awesome.
01StangGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
+1 for Mustangs
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha that's what I like to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Id think the ls1 camaro should have won but remeber it also depends on who's the better driver
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Awesome, good job on win. Maybe he's a bad driver or maybe you're a better one, I think it would win though stock to stock

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: 01 Mustang vs 99 camaro?

Ls1 engines are pretty stout. It's possible you raced an lt1 camaro. 1997 and earlier. They were rated at 275-285 hp. Look almost identicle except the headlights. Congrats on the win though either way.
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: California
I had one pull next to me I was on 3rd and pull from there he couldn cach up, it was a v8 not the v6 because of the exausht and probebly automatic, I was bone stock in my current 01bullitt ,maybe is there setup not many camaros put money on there cars ,they just think by adding some flowmasters is goin to be faster plus most just put big rims and sounds not performance and they almost never get tuneups they just drive as is
robertoortiz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I'm not real sure on the year but it had the round head lights, we were pretty even and I slowly pulled on him, ran 3 times and every time was the same results. I am pretty pumped about the win. Thanks guys
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have to kind of disagree with the not many camaro's put money in their cars statement. I have seen a lot of heavily modified camaros. The other thing is that when they do put money in them they respond very well to the changes. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Chevy or anything else. I like all muscle cars. But I have some friends with camaros. One is an ls1 heads and cam swap, he made 450 rwhp. Have another friend with the older lt1 engine, swapped his heads and cam and made 402 rwhp. I had an lt1 camaro that I swapped the lt1 cam for the lt4 cam. Mild street cam. I made 301 rwhp with a cam and headers. Not only that but I had no problem beating a 2002 mustang gt at the drag strip multiple times BEFORE I swapped the cam. I also had my doors blown off by a lt1 383 stroker.I have a 2003 gt now and even though it is under powered compared to the camaro I had, It is still way more fun to drive and i much prefer it to my camaro. Again I'm not trying to defend camaros or Chevy but I'm just trying to bring a little first hand insight to this thread. Honestly a stock ls1 will beat the mustang with equal drivers. I don't really think there is any shame in it though. An ls1 is a 350. We have 281's for it to be an actual argument speaks volumes to how well these cars are able to put their power down and use what they have. And come on, you know the mustang looks better anyway.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I do agree with you on that, ls1's are some mean engines stock. And yes the mustang look and handle much much better.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I love my mustang but a ls1 stock would keep up with my modded mustang if not beat it there super fast but handle bad and I think mustang's look better a 350 responds really well to mods you can only do so much to a 4.6 I had a Chevy 350 in my dirt car make 700hp
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Road Trip!

tru on the lt1, but one thing I see that also people choose mustang because there easy to work with and to mod quick, others know chevy is a little spensive on parts and camaros pretty hard to work on do to space, also the only thing I don't like about the stang is the way they desing the shifter space, is to far on 3rd and 5th
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
tru on the lt1, but one thing I see that also people choose mustang because there easy to work with and to mod quick, others know chevy is a little spensive on parts and camaros pretty hard to work on do to space, also the only thing I don't like about the stang is the way they desing the shifter space, is to far on 3rd and 5th
Yea I do agree on that you kinda have to get up and reach over to move into those gears.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Main reason I love mustangs, when they first came on the seen back in 64 they were one of the biggest hits on any car that came out. Also is because it's a ford and they just look so dang sexy. Very nimble and with lowering spring even more nimble, much better then the wavy like camaro's. They are much easier to work on and easy to mod. In all in all, I would much rather have my mustang then any other car. Built a strong bond in the past year and a half. Put much time, sweat, money and blood in the car. Nothing can come between a man and his car when he has much time into the car as well as money. So show your mustang some love when you get time, wash it and clean it. Make it look as nice as it runs.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

just throwing knife the tires. instant win. =]
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I love Mustangs because its the only purebred muscle car, it stood alone wen all the others were discontinued or turn to front wheel drive pretenders
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Yeah I love my stang and all but my cousin has a camaro ss, i forget what year, and with everything he has put in it he's pushing over 500hp. i can't wait to get my stang that much if i can
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
Yeah I love my stang and all but my cousin has a camaro ss, i forget what year, and with everything he has put in it he's pushing over 500hp. i can't wait to get my stang that much if i can
It's just hard to get a 4.6 to get 500hp without a super charger or turbo
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

figured as much
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85
Its cheaper to make more horsepower out of the lt/ls motors than the mustangs. I've also found it more difficult to modify a mod motor over my old lt1, but yeah space is extremely limited in the camaro engine bay.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #21
Road Trip!

also over heating problems in the camaro dealer say its a recal in the fan relays but I belive is the small gap to for the radiator to cach air and cooled down and turn fans on, but it those have pretty good air dinamics in front not like the fake scoop on the gt, but am still sticking whit ford
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

During those years Chevy may have had the upper hand, take a look now though. The new camaro uses a 6.2 liter engine to make its 422 hp. Ford is using a 5.0 to make 414. So while Chevy is stil throwing displacement out in gobs to make hp ford is offering a much more refined engine. The mustang is in no way cheaper to modify than an lt1 or ls1 though. And no there is NO room to work on those engines under the hood.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoortiz85 View Post
an ls1 is one of the cheapest motors in the world to build! and the space under the hood is nothing compared to our cars. The only thing that is easier on mustangs are the spark plugs due to having OHV. I used to own a camaro, I have been on both sides of the fence. I love my mustang way more but that camaro was easy to work on and CHEAP to build up
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Id think the ls1 camaro should have won but remeber it also depends on who's the better driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001 View Post
I have to kind of disagree with the not many camaro's put money in their cars statement. I have seen a lot of heavily modified camaros. The other thing is that when they do put money in them they respond very well to the changes. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending Chevy or anything else. I like all muscle cars. But I have some friends with camaros. One is an ls1 heads and cam swap, he made 450 rwhp. Have another friend with the older lt1 engine, swapped his heads and cam and made 402 rwhp. I had an lt1 camaro that I swapped the lt1 cam for the lt4 cam. Mild street cam. I made 301 rwhp with a cam and headers. Not only that but I had no problem beating a 2002 mustang gt at the drag strip multiple times BEFORE I swapped the cam. I also had my doors blown off by a lt1 383 stroker.I have a 2003 gt now and even though it is under powered compared to the camaro I had, It is still way more fun to drive and i much prefer it to my camaro. Again I'm not trying to defend camaros or Chevy but I'm just trying to bring a little first hand insight to this thread. Honestly a stock ls1 will beat the mustang with equal drivers. I don't really think there is any shame in it though. An ls1 is a 350. We have 281's for it to be an actual argument speaks volumes to how well these cars are able to put their power down and use what they have. And come on, you know the mustang looks better anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01StangGt View Post
Main reason I love mustangs, when they first came on the seen back in 64 they were one of the biggest hits on any car that came out. Also is because it's a ford and they just look so dang sexy. Very nimble and with lowering spring even more nimble, much better then the wavy like camaro's. They are much easier to work on and easy to mod. In all in all, I would much rather have my mustang then any other car. Built a strong bond in the past year and a half. Put much time, sweat, money and blood in the car. Nothing can come between a man and his car when he has much time into the car as well as money. So show your mustang some love when you get time, wash it and clean it. Make it look as nice as it runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001 View Post
During those years Chevy may have had the upper hand, take a look now though. The new camaro uses a 6.2 liter engine to make its 422 hp. Ford is using a 5.0 to make 414. So while Chevy is stil throwing displacement out in gobs to make hp ford is offering a much more refined engine. The mustang is in no way cheaper to modify than an lt1 or ls1 though. And no there is NO room to work on those engines under the hood.
You would think by now Chevy would have learned that their engines are not nearly as efficient as ours. 1.2 Liters extra and only making 8 more HP? Plus they weigh a bit more I think?? It's one reason why I've always loved Ford and loved mustangs. Ford just gets it right, even if a lot of the rest of their vehicles are tough to diagnose and work on sometimes. I will give Chevy props though, they were the first to develop the technology to eliminate the camshaft altogether and go with electronic lifters.. but the cost was too much for them so they never put it into production. That would have spanked our new 5.0's TiVCT technology which at this point is now already yesterday's news...
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT