Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Exhaust Question

Whats up guys,

Can anyone tell me how they feel about the brand Pypes.
Trying to figure out if they are any good because they are cheaper
than other brands.

Thanks
03DroptopGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Exhaust Question

i think you will be ok with them. they were super helpful when i did my exhaust swap from my 92 to my 96. everyone else just tried to sell me parts i already owned. i would buy from them just cause of the customer service and honesty. just my opinion...

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They're cheap for a reason. Cheap products that don't fit
02NightmareGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT View Post
They're cheap for a reason. Cheap products that don't fit
sooo you've bought from them before? ive seen their suff on two other ppl's cars. it had the same fitment as my bbk and mac stuff.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

sooo you've bought from them before? ive seen their suff on two other ppl's cars. it had the same fitment as my bbk and mac stuff.
Yea idk how they are on foxs but for my 02 they suck
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT

Yea idk how they are on foxs but for my 02 they suck
How do you know that is what he's asking? Personal experience? Or just going off a few complaints you've heard.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I bought an x pipe from them a few years ago. Had to weld new o2 bungs because their placement sucked and rebend one side to fit
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've tried many brands of exhaust and you will always find good and bad especially if you mix brands. There will possibly be fitment issues. Personally I've had the worse luck with Flowmaster fitting correctly. My best setup that I currently have now is the MAC h with there catback. I've had them for 3 years now and no problems, no leaks no rattling no rust. Been the best to me and sound wise. But sound is always your own preference. Cheaper usually mean poor quality but MAC is cheaper in price but to me quality is just as good as a $1000 setup.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

How do you know that is what he's asking? Personal experience? Or just going off a few complaints you've heard.
Experience
Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

look into fitment and what its made of, you dont want it rusting out
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT

Experience
Like what? Ha, you need to back up your statements.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

I think aftermarket stuff is a different ball game than stock/oem components. you always have to modify crap with aftermarket. regardless of brands... stuff tends not to always fit as intended in my experience.

i hate mac headers.. but i swear by my mac after cat..ten years, two stangs... and no rust. i paid 120 bucks for stainless steel headers online. best headers ive ever owned, no rust, no leaks or warps.

cheaper doesnt necessarily mean low quality. i got a gear drive i paid 65 bucks for online from CAT industries. its been in 3 supercharged motors and ive had it for 7yrs now i think.

everyone experiences vary wit products....

Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

So with all that being said, anyone have a recomendation for a
o/r x pipe.

Thanks for all the input
03DroptopGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #14

Region: Virginia
The X's are ok depending on sound preference but most of them are the same. I personally prefer the MAC pro chamber over any other mid pipe. It offers a sound that can't be duplicated. IMO
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #15

Region: Colorado
I have a upr o/r x and its definitely a raspy tone. It sounds nice in my opinion but h pipes are more of a deep tone.
04vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

On both my of Mustangs I bought the mufflers of my choice and had a muffler shop make the rest of the exhaust for me, including the X-Pipe.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

Like what? Ha, you need to back up your statements.
I'll back him, because I read all the reviews on the product. And all that bought the pypes x-pipe, all said had bad fitment issues, the run around from customer service ect... The point I'm getting at is if a&m got all those bad reviews on a product the would not carry and sell it. It's all about money man, that's just how it goes... If ya pay for cheap crap ur gonna get cheap crap... Go with magna flow x- pipe if any, from personal experience a lady at work has it on her stang and it's sounds great... I'd go with magnaflow because they prefit and make sure fitment is right on every time and test every one, one by one...
Pypes on the other hand probably does not do that if so why would everybody complain about leaks, and fitment... Heck anybody can throw together an x pipe and sell it, so like I said that's where the money roll comes into play... There ya go man there's your statement....
Man I wish I was really not like that too, you think if a&m got all those bad reviews they would not carry a product like that, but hay like I said its all about making money right? That's how it goes I guess, gotta make that moola...

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227
On both my of Mustangs I bought the mufflers of my choice and had a muffler shop make the rest of the exhaust for me, including the X-Pipe.
Hey how much did that cost with the x-pipe and all...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

well maybe so...and maybe not.

i got a bbk ssi intake for pushrod 5.0 . this is not a cheap intake...actualy closer to expensive side. ive read tons of crap on different forums and wut not on this intake. lotsa ppl bytchn bout fuel line leaks, and vacuum leaks.

there's nothing wrong with this intake... you just have to take special care when assembling it. definatley not for the novice assembler/builder.

my point is....
ppl always complain when stuff doesnt go right. but ppl rarely say anything when stuff does go right.

american muscle prolly sells that pipe cause they have more ppl that buy it with no complaints, than the few that do complain and write bad reviews.

i mean seriously.... how many ppl here take time to write a review or call a vendor or even start a thread when something fits right the first time?.......

but when something doesnt fit or fit as expected.... how many ppl start trash talkn vendors/manufactures on forums and elsewhere.

im not taking sides, but its something to think about.

when you get aftermarket..there's trade offs. ppl seem to have oem expectations when purchasing aftermarket stuff.

everybody wants flow masters... then they wanna bytch bout the highway drone...

ppl wanna get largest diameter pipe.. then wonder why it rubs the tranny crossmember, or complain cause the larger than stock pipe rubs the rear axle over bumps.

ppl want under drive pulley kits... then they are mesmerized that theyre car is running hot and battery wont charge.

there's always trade offs in the aftermarket.... im not sayn ppl shouldnt expect quality workmanship/engineering/materials....

but have more realistic expectations for aftermarket stuff.

you hear the same thing from ppl regadless of make... honda ppl, chevy ppl, and everybody complains bout the stuff.

maybe cause im older, i remember when building a car meant making stuff fit (and still does).

the aftermarket quality has improved, but alot of stuff hasnt changed

not tryn to thread jack... its just my opinion.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
well maybe so...and maybe not.

i got a bbk ssi intake for pushrod 5.0 . this is not a cheap intake...actualy closer to expensive side. ive read tons of crap on different forums and wut not on this intake. lotsa ppl bytchn bout fuel line leaks, and vacuum leaks.

there's nothing wrong with this intake... you just have to take special care when assembling it. definatley not for the novice assembler/builder.

my point is....
ppl always complain when stuff doesnt go right. but ppl rarely say anything when stuff does go right.

american muscle prolly sells that pipe cause they have more ppl that buy it with no complaints, than the few that do complain and write bad reviews.

i mean seriously.... how many ppl here take time to write a review or call a vendor or even start a thread when something fits right the first time?.......

but when something doesnt fit or fit as expected.... how many ppl start trash talkn vendors/manufactures on forums and elsewhere.

im not taking sides, but its something to think about.

when you get aftermarket..there's trade offs. ppl seem to have oem expectations when purchasing aftermarket stuff.

everybody wants flow masters... then they wanna bytch bout the highway drone...

ppl wanna get largest diameter pipe.. then wonder why it rubs the tranny crossmember, or complain cause the larger than stock pipe rubs the rear axle over bumps.

ppl want under drive pulley kits... then they are mesmerized that theyre car is running hot and battery wont charge.

there's always trade offs in the aftermarket.... im not sayn ppl shouldnt expect quality workmanship/engineering/materials....

but have more realistic expectations for aftermarket stuff.

you hear the same thing from ppl regadless of make... honda ppl, chevy ppl, and everybody complains bout the stuff.

maybe cause im older, i remember when building a car meant making stuff fit (and still does).

the aftermarket quality has improved, but alot of stuff hasnt changed

not tryn to thread jack... its just my opinion.
Lmao ok well I go to do something like my x-pipe, I'll post how great it went lol just kidding but yah ur point is right... And still I wouldn't take the chance withe the pypes x-pipe just simply because I don't wanna have to make it fit, then end up with a leak, or have to mod and weld it, then reweld it, and keep messin with it, or fixing it... I just want a one time deal, not a head ache lol...
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

it was $400 for every thing. X-pipe, Flowmaster super 10's, 2.5in piping and 4in tips
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Here's another thread from a member on here who just did the Pypes install.. hope this helps.

ANYONE thinking about buying headers!
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Twisted
Here's another thread from a member on here who just did the Pypes install.. hope this helps.

ANYONE thinking about buying headers!
Yah I read and researched on the pypes x- pipe more, and comes to find out that, the quality really is not that bad, and it's actually a good x-pipe to go with. But... I still don't like how you gotta be a pipe fitter to make everything align right, and I still don't like how a lot of people complained about the bungs rotting out, yes I know that can happen to any exhaust,but still just like the idea of bolt on... Besides that's what a lot of people are looking for now a days. Lol sorry had to argue...

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnMan8227
it was $400 for every thing. X-pipe, Flowmaster super 10's, 2.5in piping and 4in tips
Dang not bad at all...

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah I read and researched on the pypes x- pipe more, and comes to find out that, the quality really is not that bad, and it's actually a good x-pipe to go with. But... I still don't like how you gotta be a pipe fitter to make everything align right, and I still don't like how a lot of people complained about the bungs rotting out, yes I know that can happen to any exhaust,but still just like the idea of bolt on... Besides that's what a lot of people are looking for now a days. Lol sorry had to argue...

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Dang not bad at all...
So I also read the thread about the long tubes, and feel for that brotha who had to deal with that, his thread was real funny to read though... So heres a question what about shorty headers? Yes I know not the same performance, but wouldn't they be at least a lil bit easier to install? Can someone be happy with shorties???
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post

Dang not bad at all...

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

So I also read the thread about the long tubes, and feel for that brotha who had to deal with that, his thread was real funny to read though... So heres a question what about shorty headers? Yes I know not the same performance, but wouldn't they be at least a lil bit easier to install? Can someone be happy with shorties???
Shorties are cerainly better than stock manifolds, and are certainly easier to install, but the performance range of them is quiet different than that of LT's. You won't gain as much tq, but you'll gain top end power, and you'll have a power band that's shifted a bit.
K Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust