New tuner! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
New tuner!

I had a diablo sport that needed to be sent off didn't really like it when it was in my car and it was kinda old and wanted a $100 to link it back to my car so I just ordered a new SCT Sf3/X3 Power Flash Tuner from American muscle do you guys think that's a good tuner?
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
All the tuners do the same thing its the person writing the tune that makes three difference.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
All the tuners do the same thing its the person writing the tune that makes three difference.
With this tuner I get free custom tunes do I think it will be better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: New tuner!

what do YOU think... that's all that really matters. did it run better after you downloaded the tune???

i'd give you my opinion, as i just got mine two days ago, but i'm sure every case is different.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
what do YOU think... that's all that really matters. did it run better after you downloaded the tune???

i'd give you my opinion, as i just got mine two days ago, but i'm sure every case is different.
I count really tell with the diablo but I ordered the new one last night so it's not in yet soon as it comes in I'm getting a custom tune.
Had anybody ran this programmer before I'm excited just wanting a little feedback on it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ok... i test my car after EVERY single little thing i do to it. and then i double check it.

i bought my sct x3 secondhand... it was never installed on the vehicle it was purchased for. however, it was tuned for 04 gt, with just a caik , which is what i have(gear ratio was different, but is user adjustable)

after the first time i installed the(bama) 87 tune, i was not impressed. (frankly, i thought my automatically adjusted stock tune was better, BUT) i reset everything, and updated the firmware and 'strategy' (this sucks. car pinged like a son of a *****) tune on my device thru sct, and then tried the custom 87 tune again. ABSOLUTE (on 87 octane) noticeable difference. yes, i said absolute (so much so, i had to go pick up my buddy, a gear head and machinist by trade, and take him for a spin). maybe at this point, i should tell you guys, we're both in our 40's!!!

can't wait to try to the 'race' tune! NOTE: i have k&n cai, 70mm bbk TB with a stack racing plenum AND THAT"S IT. steeda s-t shifter(which kicks @$$ but has no bearing on previous). my cat back is in the mail, pro-chamber to follow, and gears later this summer.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have a '00 GT convertible and I am ordering the iTSX tomorrow when I get done with some field training. I am really hoping it makes a big difference since I have an accufab 70mm TB plenum combo, CAI, accel COPs, high flow carted X, and flowmaster 44s. After the tuner I am going to go with the steeda under drive pulleys and probably look into a set of cams.
Enderthreesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
ok... i test my car after EVERY single little thing i do to it. and then i double check it.

i bought my sct x3 secondhand... it was never installed on the vehicle it was purchased for. however, it was tuned for 04 gt, with just a caik , which is what i have(gear ratio was different, but is user adjustable)

after the first time i installed the(bama) 87 tune, i was not impressed. (frankly, i thought my automatically adjusted stock tune was better, BUT) i reset everything, and updated the firmware and 'strategy' (this sucks. car pinged like a son of a *****) tune on my device thru sct, and then tried the custom 87 tune again. ABSOLUTE (on 87 octane) noticeable difference. yes, i said absolute (so much so, i had to go pick up my buddy, a gear head and machinist by trade, and take him for a spin). maybe at this point, i should tell you guys, we're both in our 40's!!!

can't wait to try to the 'race' tune! NOTE: i have k&n cai, 70mm bbk TB with a stack racing plenum AND THAT"S IT. steeda s-t shifter(which kicks @$$ but has no bearing on previous). my cat back is in the mail, pro-chamber to follow, and gears later this summer.
So you can kinda customize the 87 tune that it comes with?
I have k&n cold air intake 70mm throttle body and premium headers x-pipe borla tips and high flow cats short throw shifter 10 1/2 rear tires I had the diablo tune in it then it locked up so now it had stock an I heard a lot of great things about this hand held.
So the tunes it comes with are better than a custom tune from Bama?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:

Did you have to call bama to update the firmware and strategy tune?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix
I have a '00 GT convertible and I am ordering the iTSX tomorrow when I get done with some field training. I am really hoping it makes a big difference since I have an accufab 70mm TB plenum combo, CAI, accel COPs, high flow carted X, and flowmaster 44s. After the tuner I am going to go with the steeda under drive pulleys and probably look into a set of cams.
You need to give me feedback on that iTSX...and a tuner makes a HUGE difference. Especially the race tune...I changed my car back to the 87 tune and it feels stock and I noticed a difference with it from stock. I ordered a 93 race tune from bama to get full use of the 93 octane we sell at my work (sams club only sells 87 and 93)

I was able to launch at 3500rpm on the 91 race tune with 93 gas on WARM (20+ miles warm) 315/35/17 drag radials and spin for 4 feet am left some nice marks and took off like a bat outta hell...only mods to my car are bbk CAI and Mac car back ATM...a lot more coming.

Enderth, if you get those UD pullies let me get the install bolt from you after you install.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man I'll def let you know and if I end up getting the UDs I will hook you up with that. The only thing holding me up on them is that my headlights are foggy as hell and I want to get the smoked OEs. Btw anyone who is thinking of trying the mothers headlight restoration, don't waste your money. I am way more about performance than appearance but the headlights are such an eyesore and not having the chin spoiler looks dumb.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Road Trip!

So what should I do to get the most performance out of it get a custom tune from Bama since there free or use the one's it comes with?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderthreesix
Yeah man I'll def let you know and if I end up getting the UDs I will hook you up with that. The only thing holding me up on them is that my headlights are foggy as hell and I want to get the smoked OEs. Btw anyone who is thinking of trying the mothers headlight restoration, don't waste your money. I am way more about performance than appearance but the headlights are such an eyesore and not having the chin spoiler looks dumb.
I think the mothers one is the one I got and it worked great...

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
So what should I do to get the most performance out of it get a custom tune from Bama since there free or use the one's it comes with?
Custom tune from bama...

When u buy it from am they ask you for info on your car and send the custom tunes in it already..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe mine are just unsalvageable haha they are 12 years old and in terrible shape. I used the severe damage kit and the powerball and aside from feeling smoother it didn't do anything for the clarity
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

I think the mothers one is the one I got and it worked great...

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Custom tune from bama...

When u buy it from am they ask you for info on your car and send the custom tunes in it already..
I ordered it from there all they ask was for the year and if it was a Gt,cobra,saleen was it supposed to ask for what mods I have?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I ordered it from there all they ask was for the year and if it was a Gt,cobra,saleen was it supposed to ask for what mods I have?
They should send you a email....

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ryan,
there are some things you can adjust yourself... this includes a/f mixture and spark, rev and speed limiters, fan temp turn-on, gear ratios etc. etc. but it is probably not advisable to change some of them unless you know what you're changing. mixture(lean/rich) and spark(******/advance) probably being the ones that will affect how your car runs the most.

if you get a custom tune from ANYBODY, they will setup your tune based on YOUR mods. some things matter, some don't. for instance, aftermarket cat-back systems may help your engine breathe and increase HP somewhat, but does not factor into(dramatically affect) the tune for our cars.

the tuner does other stuff as well; data logging, code reading/resetting and the like. i think i'm done for the nite, but will close with this for now.... the custom 87 octane tune alone did indeed make a difference in my car's response/output. if you plan on running your 91 or 03 octane tune, make sure you have that octane gas in you car. period, and let us know what YOU think! i'm outta here-
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
ryan,
there are some things you can adjust yourself... this includes a/f mixture and spark, rev and speed limiters, fan temp turn-on, gear ratios etc. etc. but it is probably not advisable to change some of them unless you know what you're changing. mixture(lean/rich) and spark(******/advance) probably being the ones that will affect how your car runs the most.

if you get a custom tune from ANYBODY, they will setup your tune based on YOUR mods. some things matter, some don't. for instance, aftermarket cat-back systems may help your engine breathe and increase HP somewhat, but does not factor into(dramatically affect) the tune for our cars.

the tuner does other stuff as well; data logging, code reading/resetting and the like. i think i'm done for the nite, but will close with this for now.... the custom 87 octane tune alone did indeed make a difference in my car's response/output. if you plan on running your 91 or 03 octane tune, make sure you have that octane gas in you car. period, and let us know what YOU think! i'm outta here-
Thanks man you really helped out a lot I went to Bama and put my order number in and they asked about my mods so maybe it will come with the custom tunes.
Thanks a lot everyone for your knowledge and opinions I will post how I like it once it comes in.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Yes they should my opinion but they didn't when I ordered mine, I just told them all info, all of it when they asked what I was buyin it for so they thanked me for tellin them, and man the 91 octane tune with the three lil mods I got, man dang what a difference... If ya got a car with cai then tune it because I don't think ya really see hp without a tune...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

i have the SCT SF3 from AM, and i love it! works like a champ, and i can go in a change certain things if i want to. excellent tuner
StackeStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
i have the SCT SF3 from AM, and i love it! works like a champ, and i can go in a change certain things if i want to. excellent tuner
Mine comes in tomorrow so I can't wait!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

congrats dude! you're gonna love it
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
Mine comes in tomorrow so I can't wait!
Awesome! I just ordered mine this evening...getting the 3 custom tunes as well...can't wait, my 4R70W needs some help!

I've heard nothing but good things about Bama and SCT tuning, so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

its extremely easy to use, just plug it up and go! plus you get free tunes for life, so future mods will be covered as well. i give it 9/10, just cause it takes a minute to load the tune.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackeStang
its extremely easy to use, just plug it up and go! plus you get free tunes for life, so future mods will be covered as well. i give it 9/10, just cause it takes a minute to load the tune.
Can't expect it to copy everything and load a whole new code in 2 sec....it takes 3 min max...

If u want instant code buy the chip with the selector switch...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
Can't expect it to copy everything and load a whole new code in 2 sec....it takes 3 min max...

If u want instant code buy the chip with the selector switch...
didn't say it did. i had one of those chips and they suck.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
Road Trip!

All I hear is good things about it mine also came with 3 custom tunes ups said should be here tomorrow afternoon I'll let you know how it works
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

awesome dude. looking forward to it
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Just got it in, loaded a 91 custom tune and love it!
I had trouble codes from the high flow cats something about the 02 sensors cleared the codes no more check engine lights.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

nice!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Do you know if you can run 93 or 87 octane with a 91 race tune?
I don't have 91 octane fuel where I live
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you know if you can run 93 or 87 octane with a 91 race tune?
I don't have 91 octane fuel where I live
You can but won't get the full effect of the gas...I ran 93 on 91 race and actually ran rich. Just order the 93 race tune like I did!

It will only take a few days and that long won't hit your engine on the 91 tune

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:

You can but won't get the full effect of the gas...I ran 93 on 91 race and actually ran rich. Just order the 93 race tune like I did!

It will only take a few days and that long won't hit your engine on the 91 tune
To go about doing that, just call Bama and tell them I want a 93 custom race tune?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

To go about doing that, just call Bama and tell them I want a 93 custom race tune?
That's what I did...I think there is another way to do it through AM but I don't know..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's what I did...I think there is another way to do it through AM but I don't know..
Alright thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT