Just bought a gt and need help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Put it on backwards?
Possibly
UltimateGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Just bought a gt and need help

You dont have to do any of that stuff. You can just disconnect the lines to the filter, put the new one in and your set. None of that would cause his problem. He may have put it in backwards but i dont see that being the issue since it was happening before he changed it to begin with. When you say it wont go over 40 can you describe in more detail what is happening? Is it jumping and bucking around? Does it shake or stutter?
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
You dont have to do any of that stuff. You can just disconnect the lines to the filter, put the new one in and your set. None of that would cause his problem. He may have put it in backwards but i dont see that being the issue since it was happening before he changed it to begin with. When you say it wont go over 40 can you describe in more detail what is happening? Is it jumping and bucking around? Does it shake or stutter?
Shakes, and it was as if it was just losing power. but now it wont start, think its my fuel pump now.

Also I noticed the heater tube was bypassed and where the tube goes into the engine was broken cause its plastic so I put some poxy on it and it was good. I put water into the radiator and it cycled all the way thru but then poored out the back where it looked like another tube went. Does anyone know what im talking about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Just bought a gt and need help

No clue on the hoses but i would definitely say to check your fuel pump, my car did the same thing and it was my pump going out. If the pump is good then i would check relays to and from it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No clue on the hoses but i would definitely say to check your fuel pump, my car did the same thing and it was my pump going out. If the pump is good then i would check relays to and from it
The gas is getting to the engine cause I press the fuel pressure release under the hood and gas comes out. I think it may be a sensor or timing belt
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds like you should change your plugs, get your injectors checked out too.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Sounds like you should change your plugs, get your injectors checked out too.
Yeah I didn't even consider the injectors! How many miles on the car??
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

Yeah I didn't even consider the injectors! How many miles on the car??
101000 plus
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGt

101000 plus
Its very possible that when you did your fuel filter you got some crap in the lines and now they are clogged somewhere.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

101000 plus
Could be the injectors...
Old 04-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Could be the injectors...
Could be a lot of things lol, I'd try fuel pump first though. Just because ur getting fuel doesn't mean it's sufficient...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

So test the fuel pressure... mine sits at 47psi with key on engine off. I believe the Haynes manual says 38-50 psi is good.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Basically I want to know is there fuel at the fuel rails? if there is then your pump is working and you need to start checking spark.
Not true, I had pressure at the rails but still had same problem. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor, still had problem. Tested fuel pressure, was low, replaced fuel pump, problem fixed!
Eibach pro kit,Tokico shocks/struts,BBK CAI,75mm TB/ Plenum,4.10 FRPP gears,BBK o/r X pipe,Magnaflow Catback,SCT Tuner running 91 Tune,Bama Tunes for Life Member,RAM HD Clutch,BM shifter with MGW "GT" knob,AM smoked Headlights/Sylvania zXe bulbs,VHT smoked tails/3rd brake,Redtop Optima,Mach 1 grille delete,Mach 1 chin spoiler,BULLITT Pedals,20% tint all round,4.6 High Performance Badges
MiGT01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Maybe I misread or missed something but I thought it won't start now after only changing the filter. Generally when troubleshooting anything the last mod/adjustment is the place to start when things change drastically or suddenly. I agree it's not the main issue, but if he changed it and now it won't start.........
Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGT01

Not true, I had pressure at the rails but still had same problem. Replaced fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor, still had problem. Tested fuel pressure, was low, replaced fuel pump, problem fixed!
I said test the fuel pressure...

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Maybe I misread or missed something but I thought it won't start now after only changing the filter. Generally when troubleshooting anything the last mod/adjustment is the place to start when things change drastically or suddenly. I agree it's not the main issue, but if he changed it and now it won't start.........
He was having trouble getting it home( before he changed anything) and the tow service told him was probably the fuel filter so he changed it and now it won't start at all.. I suggested checking to see If it was installed wrong already.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I said test the fuel pressure...

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

He was having trouble getting it home( before he changed anything) and the tow service told him was probably the fuel filter so he changed it and now it won't start at all.. I suggested checking to see If it was installed wrong already.
Ima have a mechanic look at it
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Turns out I got 2 blown head gaskets...i was estimated $1000 to have everything fixed and rebuilt and to have the heater bypass fixed
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Turns out I got 2 blown head gaskets...i was estimated $1000 to have everything fixed and rebuilt and to have the heater bypass fixed
Rusts really cheap for that work. But your going to have to get the block and heads checked for warping.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev
It's the flux capacitor you forgot to refuel
I'm jk
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT