Just bought a gt and need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just bought a gt and need help

I bought a 97 gt from an auction and it was runing fine but on the way home it wasnt wrken so well. I had it towed and ive beenworking onit. It would start but didnt want to go past 40 so I pulled over. Got it home and the tow/mechanic told me it was probibly thefuel filter. So I replaced it and changed out a tube connecting the radiator to the engine. Now it doesnt even start, I out the filter in the exact way I pulled it out. Now I dont know what to do dont know if I have to cycle fuel, or if its the fuel pump.
UltimateGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
When u changed the filter did u depressurize the fuel system. Cuz when I change mine I disconnect the inertia switch and sometimes forget to reset it. Not sure if your car has one though....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
When u changed the filter did u depressurize the fuel system. Cuz when I change mine I disconnect the inertia switch and sometimes forget to reset it. Not sure if your car has one though....
No I bet thats the problem how do I do that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGt
I bought a 97 gt from an auction and it was runing fine but on the way home it wasnt wrken so well. I had it towed and ive beenworking onit. It would start but didnt want to go past 40 so I pulled over. Got it home and the tow/mechanic told me it was probibly thefuel filter. So I replaced it and changed out a tube connecting the radiator to the engine. Now it doesnt even start, I out the filter in the exact way I pulled it out. Now I dont know what to do dont know if I have to cycle fuel, or if its the fuel pump.
Did you cycle the key a couple times before you started it? Also is it cranking over or nothing at all?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I did some research n I didnt depressurize anything just got under the trunk n took it off, do I have to put the old one back in and start all over

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Did you cycle the key a couple times before you started it? Also is it cranking over or nothing at all?
Sounds dry...i didnt depressurize it n dont know how can u walk me thru it. I have the new filter in it but I think I just have to depressurize but dnt know how
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Just bought a gt and need help

on the fuel rail, push down on the little nozzle thats just sitting there with a cap on it. like a bike nozzle or tire nozzles. then go to the trunk and on the Left hand side (it should be left. I have a 96) and theres a reset button in case something happens with the computer or something like that. deal with that and then twist the key to the on position so you can here the pump working. Don't turn the car on though. do that 5-7 times and it should be good
Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just checking but when you turn the key to the on position not crank do you hear the fuel pump kick on?
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
on the fuel rail, push down on the little nozzle thats just sitting there with a cap on it. like a bike nozzle or tire nozzles. then go to the trunk and on the Left hand side (it should be left. I have a 96) and theres a reset button in case something happens with the computer or something like that. deal with that and then twist the key to the on position so you can here the pump working. Don't turn the car on though. do that 5-7 times and it should be good
Is this lttle red button, I oushed in and it stayed down I poped it back up and did it agian still nothing

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_013728.png
Views:	266
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	46003
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I found the vaulve, now I need to find rhe fuse to turn off the fuel pump
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
If you push the shader valve(nozzle as you say) and gas shoots out then that is not the issue.

Next you need to check that you have spark to the plugs, then air. Those three things are all you need to start an engine. If you have gas, fire(spark), and air and it still won't start you may have a more serious issue.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is this lttle red button, I oushed in and it stayed down I poped it back up and did it agian still nothing
Yes but that button needs to be in the down(engaged) position. But the shrader valve will tell you wether there's fuel at the rail or not. If fuel isn't the culprit then next (as dead spot said) I would be looking at ignition system components.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wheres the fuse for the fuel pump
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wheres the fuse for the fuel pump
Is the red button pressed in ? Have you cycled the key on and off? You don't have to pull the fuse you can just pop that red button up.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is the red button pressed in ? Have you cycled the key on and off? You don't have to pull the fuse you can just pop that red button up.
Did that I dnt know what the hell the problim is
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Basically I want to know is there fuel at the fuel rails? if there is then your pump is working and you need to start checking spark.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I understand your pain bro I went through my own fuel system nightmare about 2 weeks ago when I put in my new fuel rails. Have you checked the valve located on the fuel rail and see if fuel squirts out? If it does then that means you have fuel pressure which means your pump and fuel filter are good.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Basically I want to know is there fuel at the fuel rails? if there is then your pump is working and you need to start checking spark.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I understand your pain bro I went through my own fuel system nightmare about 2 weeks ago when I put in my new fuel rails. Have you checked the valve located on the fuel rail and see if fuel squirts out? If it does then that means you have fuel pressure which means your pump and fuel filter are good.
Yea it does...but why the hell doesmt it start...beforr I put the new filter in it would start but now it doesnt. The reason I changed it was because as soon as I put it in gear it dies
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Is the engine turning over? Check engine light on? Not sure but does your car have coil on plugs? I don't wanna question you but is the fuel filter installed correctly? Cuz if it's backwards it could kill fuel pressure which would cause a no start...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the engine turning over? Check engine light on? Not sure but does your car have coil on plugs? I don't wanna question you but is the fuel filter installed correctly? Cuz if it's backwards it could kill fuel pressure which would cause a no start...
I put it in the way I say it in there. If there was no pressure would it still come out of the pressure release under the hood

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote:
If your laying under the car n looking up at it the flat part is facing the right and the rounded part to the left....right
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Not only that but there is a fuel shut off switch, I don't know if that's what they were talking about but ford say resetting it usually fixes the problem. I'll research on it and get back...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Not only that but there is a fuel shut off switch, I don't know if that's what they were talking about but ford say resetting it usually fixes the problem. I'll research on it and get back...
Plz tell me where to find this
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I put it in the way I say it in there. If there was no pressure would it still come out of the pressure release under the hood

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

If your laying under the car n looking up at it the flat part is facing the right and the rounded part to the left....right
Yah the arrow should look like it's pointing towards the uh i think the drivers side of the car...

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:

Plz tell me where to find this
Man I think it's right there under the car on passenger side I don't know hang on let me look..

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Yah the arrow should look like it's pointing towards the uh i think the drivers side of the car...

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Man I think it's right there under the car on passenger side I don't know hang on let me look..
Ok so when you bought the car, did you look it over real well, it did not look like it had been in an accident did it. Because that's what trips the lil red button in ur trunk, or loss in fuel pressure... But the button is in the trunk for sure...

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

The red button is the fuel sit off switch. So rip out your trunk liner and find it. If it's tripped then you'll be able to push it in... That may help I don't know though I'd have to be actually there to see and here exactly what's it's doing and how it's acting...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Ok so when you bought the car, did you look it over real well, it did not look like it had been in an accident did it. Because that's what trips the lil red button in ur trunk, or loss in fuel pressure... But the button is in the trunk for sure...
I posted a pic in this thread so it is the red button in the trunk?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

See because it work like a safety switch, to shut off the fuel if it ever was in an accident. Or in another case if a loss of fuel pressure then it will trip also to protect you from ruining the whole fuel system. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'd try every thing, even like tearin the fuel rails off and see what kind of shape the injectors are in... I dont know sound like it's not getting fuel though...

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote:
See because it work like a safety switch, to shut off the fuel if it ever was in an accident. Or in another case if a loss of fuel pressure then it will trip also to protect you from ruining the whole fuel system. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'd try every thing, even like tearin the fuel rails off and see what kind of shape the injectors are in... I dont know sound like it's not getting fuel though...
Sorry but I don't see a pic, and yes it's it's in the trunk, on your model it should be on the drivers side...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Sorry but I don't see a pic, and yes it's it's in the trunk, on your model it should be on the drivers side...
This

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_214201.png
Views:	164
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	46083
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yah ok I saw the pic yes that's it, when you pushed it what did it do?

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

So you tried to start it after that right what did it do, how did it act?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Lol workin on it right now aren't you...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yah ok I saw the pic yes that's it, when you pushed it what did it do?

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

So you tried to start it after that right what did it do, how did it act?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Lol workin on it right now aren't you...
Naw I wish im at wrk, nothen happen damn I think I put it n backwards. One side is flat and the other side is round I put the flat side towards the drivers side
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well give some info on it, what kinda shape it's it, mileage, how did it ride, how was it sounding when first started it, rough idle anything? What kind of Shap is the motor really in... Really man look it over real well tell me if it looks like it's been in an accident. How much did ya pay for it?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well give some info on it, what kinda shape it's it, mileage, how did it ride, how was it sounding when first started it, rough idle anything? What kind of Shap is the motor really in... Really man look it over real well tell me if it looks like it's been in an accident. How much did ya pay for it?
They were asking $1850, I got it dropped down to $1200 and I would start but I had to press the gas and it would start. I got ut up to 60 then exited got back on and it would go past 40 so I pulled over and it left it idle and it died. Towed it home and I could start it but soon as I put it indrive it would die. So I replaced fuel fulter abd it wont turn over it sounds dry like its not getting any gas. If I flip the filter over will it **** up the whole fuel system
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Na ibdont think so but heck man it might just be somethin simple like a the intake being loose, but I don't know man could be a lot of things...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So here is mine left side of pic is the driver side....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4194659301.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	46095  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew r wright
na ibdont think so but heck man it might just be somethin simple like a the intake being loose, but i don't know man could be a lot of things...

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_223950.png
Views:	161
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	46096

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_224014.png
Views:	158
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	46097

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_224041.png
Views:	135
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	46098
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So here is mine left side of pic is the driver side....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1497817011.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	46099  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

Have you done the simple things like changing out the Plugs ans and COPs?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

And I still don't know how you can lose fuel pressure just by changing a fuel filter. I just changed mine a week an a half ago, and didn't have any of those kinda problems....
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

And I still don't know how you can lose fuel pressure just by changing a fuel filter. I just changed mine a week an a half ago, and didn't have any of those kinda problems....
Put it on backwards?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT