adjustable clutch cable - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

adjustable clutch cable

I have a 2000 GT and I'm looking for some help with my clutch cable. I called steeda and they told me to follow the instructions. I'm not sure where I should start my adjustments. I can't get the slack out of my pedal which doesn't even catch until it is almost to the floor. And I can't get the car into gear. Can anybody that has one of these cables steer me in the right direction? I had to change cables 'cause my stock one broke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
jt2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: adjustable clutch cable

Don't know if this will help

Now would be a good time to define exactly what this "quadrant" thing is that people talk about. A quadrant is just ¼ of a circle. It is the light colored part of this clutch ratchet mechanism (actually appears to be more like 1/3 of a circle). It has little teeth on its perimeter and is held onto the clutch pedal shaft by the clip that is visible. However, the quadrant is floating on the shaft, as it is not splined to the shaft and does not directly have to rotate with the shaft (this is a very important part of understanding how the mechanism works).

The clutch cable comes through the "firewall" and attaches to the top of the quadrant, in much the same way that the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. (Unfortunately this section of the quadrant is out of view above the picture.)

Again, think about what happens when you push the clutch pedal. The small ratchet mechanism assembly on the right rotates upward. This small ratchet mechanism has teeth that are meshed with the quadrant’s teeth, causing the quadrant to rotate counterclockwise, pulling the clutch cable. If you have difficulty visualizing all of the motion from the picture and this description, then it may be worthwhile at this point to look at it in your car and push the pedal by hand so you can watch what happens.

Now, let’s look at the two actual adjustment methods.

The first method is the one described in the owner’s manual. If you pull the clutch pedal back toward the driver’s seat, you will be rotating the small ratchet mechanism assembly downward. Looking at the picture, you’ll notice that the small ratchet mechanism will push against a metal "tab", causing the teeth of the small ratchet mechanism to disengage from the teeth of the quadrant. This causes the clutch to self adjust into the normal location. Many people (including me) find that this makes the clutch pedal position annoyingly close to the floor when the clutch engages/disangages.

The second method is the one you are most interested in and you can probably already see what to do if you understand how the whole ratchet/quadrant thing works.

hanging down from the quadrant is a part that is somewhat shaped like a hook. If you could push this "hook" upward slightly (basically rotating the quadrant counterclockwise), you should notice the clutch pedal move too. If you could push it up and keep the clutch pedal from moving then you'll probably hear the ratchet click as it engages one tooth higher, causing the pedal position to be "higher" (closer to the driver’s seat) when the clutch engages/disengages. One click is all that I usually do to make a big difference. However, most people have great difficulty pushing the hook upward because of the spring resisting that motion. It is generally much easier to push the clutch pedal in with one hand, hold the hook up with the other hand, then let the clutch pedal back out. This is the same effect, but you have a bit more leverage. Sometimes, just letting clutch pedal back out on its own doesn’t work and you have to pull it back slightly. It can be very difficult to adjust this way if there is not mushiness to the first part of the pedal travel. Hint: when doing this kneeling next to the car, I hold the "hook" up with my right thumb while working the clutch pedal with my left hand.

If you want the clutch to adjust back to normal, then just use the method described in the owner’s manual. It is a handy little reset while you are playing with whole adjusting mechanism if you think you are getting a bit carried away.

Don't go more than one click at a time without driving it to make sure it is where you like it adjusted. If it takes more than one click then maybe something else is not functioning properly. If it takes more than 2 clicks, then something else is certainly wrong. Also, this puts more load on the throwout bearing and can reduce the pressure plate clamping load on the clutch disc. I have adjusted it one click and have never experienced any problems. Just make sure you understand what you are doing and the consequences, as you are responsible for any adjustments you make.

Now, once you have it adjusted where you like it, you’ll probably notice that it easily self-adjusts back to normal if you accidentally pull the pedal back. The easiest way to cure this, once you are happy with the new position, is to slightly bend the metal "tab" that pushes on the small ratchet mechanism so that it no longer allows the self-adjuster to function.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

You may need a firewall adjuster as well as a clutch cable (and also a quadrent). The firewall adjuster just pulls the clutch cable back out of the firewall a bit to take up some of the slack in it. It is kind of like making the cable shorter if you will (well the amount of cable that comes into the car is shorter). So you have your cable and your fireall adjuster that adjusts how much cable comes into the car.

Now you need to attach it to the quadrent. This is above the brake petal kind of~ its half moon shaped and plastic (color is white) and has a little gear on the back of it called the pawl. This is the stock setup. It uses springs and the pawl gear to take up slack in the clutch cable so its adjusted correctly (or usually correctly)~ you can push in the clutch with your hand and then hold the quadrent at its top most part (the part thats closest to the back seat and highest when the clutch petal is pushed in). The cable needs to be on the quadrent at this time as well. Then hold tension and slowly let the petal out as you hold the quadrent back aginst the force of it rotating.

It will click and take up slack. If you ever touch the and raise up on the clutch petal from the underside it will unadjust itself/readjust ... and usually it doesnt take up enough slack so you have to force it as I described how to above.

An aftermarket quadrent just has a hook for the cable. You just hook the cable on it and adjust the slack in the clutch via the fireall adjuster. Tighten or let slack in it as needed~

Most do quadrent and firewall adjuster and use the stock cable.

You want .5~ inches of slack before the clutch starts to slip in to neutral. What I mean by this is the clutch petal will be firm (NO FLOP) You will push it in about a half inch before the rpms start to climb aka the clutch starts to slip.

Go down the road at 55 mph or some constant speed 45-55 what ever. Then hold the gas with one foot constant and with the other start to push on the clutch. If you get to about a half inch before the rpms start to jump up (clutch slips) then your good. You dont want less than that but a little bit more is ok. You want the clutch petal to be firm, and not flop around.. just not to firm aka always kind of pushed in a little bit~

You will now notice that in order to adjust the clutch petal correctly that sucker is WAY high... VERY high... its actually hitting its bump stop (the height it can travel it hits a bar and it wont go any higher). The fix for this is available at maximum motorsports. It is a petal height adjustment kit. It just lowers the bump stop so you can get your adjustment with the petal being lower. I like mine high but some done so this is the option if needed.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the write-ups. That explains a lot about a stock set-up. I should've explained myself a little better. After my stock cable snapped I got the adjustable cable and a after-market quadrant from steeda. The directions they sent weren't very good on how to adjust the cable. I got everything installed and hooked up but now I can't get my car into gear. I'm not understanding what makes the cable adjustable. The directions say "adjust the clutch cable by turning the ball nut with a wrench. Be sure the clutch fully releases when the pedal is depressed, and the clutch is fully engaged when the pedal is released. Tighten the jam nut to lock your adjustment in place." I guess pictures would help. I think I'm just going to have to get the firewall adjuster.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

hmm you would see any adjustment on the clutch cable. Sounds like they are talking about a firewall adjuster that you dont have~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #6

that's what I was thinking. wish they would have told me that when I ordered the first time.
thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT