Hard to put in gear? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Hard to put in gear?

Sometimes when I'm driving my car it acts as if it doesn't want to go in first gear. Could this mean transmission problems or would a shorty shifter answer my problems?
Gobabygo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #2

Region: Florida
Re: Hard to put in gear?

I have been driving a stick for about 25+ years, everything from Hondas to Macks. My driving style has always been the same, before I go into first gear, regardless of if I'm down shifting or sitting at a light, I ALWAYS pull back into 2nd before going to first.

Now that being said, you could have a bad synchro from first gear, which would make it more difficult to shift into first.

2015 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Lifted)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Jeffola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My 02 won't go into 1st until I'm below 10mph and sometimes I need to do the 2nd gear to first gear. My car has the tr3650 and my 01 did the same thing with the t45 tranny.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

my cobra had these sorts of issues (beyond just not being stopped, and now and again it can do this but it should not be EVERY time)

it ended up the clutch had to much slack in it so when pushing it in it was not going in enough. Manually adjusted if it it has a lot of flop in the petal.

Reach under and put your left hand on the clutch push to the floor, put right hand on the quadrant (above gas petal) and hold tension against it trying to turn (it will just hold it as it tries to turn) and it will click as you let the petal up to turn it. Two clicks now feel petal it should be higher/firmer etc repeat until you have 1/2 inch travel before slippage.

to test slippage drive at 45-55 etc hold gas petal constant and ease in clutch you should push in more than 1/2 inch before the rpms jump up.

to unadjust lift up on bottom of clutch petal, hard shifting may also unadjust it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
my cobra had these sorts of issues (beyond just not being stopped, and now and again it can do this but it should not be EVERY time)

it ended up the clutch had to much slack in it so when pushing it in it was not going in enough. Manually adjusted if it it has a lot of flop in the petal.

Reach under and put your left hand on the clutch push to the floor, put right hand on the quadrant (above gas petal) and hold tension against it trying to turn (it will just hold it as it tries to turn) and it will click as you let the petal up to turn it. Two clicks now feel petal it should be higher/firmer etc repeat until you have 1/2 inch travel before slippage.

to test slippage drive at 45-55 etc hold gas petal constant and ease in clutch you should push in more than 1/2 inch before the rpms jump up.

to unadjust lift up on bottom of clutch petal, hard shifting may also unadjust it.
My buddy wanted to drive my car this weekend to the cigar store and he launched it hard and ripped through the gears and now my clutch pedal doesn't engage until midway. Do you think it automatically adjusted. Because that day it would engage a little less that a 1/4 of the way. So should I do the adjustment that you explained?
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

give it a try, could be what is causing your issue. My car if I let it unadjust itself SUCKS and is far to low and doesnt go down far enough ~ I have to keep mine two clicks up on the adjustment.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT