gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
gears

I'm thinking about 4:10 gears, what would my rpms be at around 70 mph?
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: gears

You have a T45 tranny so it'll be slightly different than my TR3650 ratios, but it'll be roughly 2.1-2.2krpm @ 70.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Region: California
I recommend not doing the 410 gear swap unless it's a weekend or track car. Plus a shop will charge 400+ to install or even if you have someone do it that has done it several times before, the chance of getting the backlash perfect where it won't make a whining noise when you let off the gas is very slim. Then you will have to order a tuner to correct the speedometer or your car will rack up twice as many miles than your actually driving. Lastly from my experience, I got bored with the 410s after a week. If you have to have gears, go with 373 or 355, but if I could do it over and spend the gear money and tuner money, which was $650, I would go with a nice cam which you will always notice and never get tired of, or Longs which will also make your car stand out and you will never get bored with. Gears are just a fast cheap way to try and make your car faster, which they don't , they just make it get up to speed slightly faster.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
I recommend not doing the 410 gear swap unless it's a weekend or track car. Plus a shop will charge 400+ to install or even if you have someone do it that has done it several times before, the chance of getting the backlash perfect where it won't make a whining noise when you let off the gas is very slim. Then you will have to order a tuner to correct the speedometer or your car will rack up twice as many miles than your actually driving. Lastly from my experience, I got bored with the 410s after a week. If you have to have gears, go with 373 or 355, but if I could do it over and spend the gear money and tuner money, which was $650, I would go with a nice cam which you will always notice and never get tired of, or Longs which will also make your car stand out and you will never get bored with. Gears are just a fast cheap way to try and make your car faster, which they don't , they just make it get up to speed slightly faster.
I don't want to argue, but cams will cost more than gears. And also 4.10s make your car accelerate on par with cars that have twice the horsepower. My car is a DD and I never tire of the gears. Just giving my point of view.

Oh.. And I would not recommend 4.10s for a track car at all. 3.73 or even 3.55 would be better because a 4.10 will put you in fourth gear anywhere over 65mph at high rpm.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Thanks guys, I've got 3:73 in it now I was Jus lookin for a lil more bottom end. I'll prolly just get slickery and shocks so I can get it.to hook up better. Lol
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt
Thanks guys, I've got 3:73 in it now I was Jus lookin for a lil more bottom end. I'll prolly just get slickery and shocks so I can get it.to hook up better. Lol
Upper and lower control arms also help a lot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« my 98 gt | speed »