how to check the transmission fluid in a 98 Gt, T5 trans. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Question how to check the transmission fluid in a 98 Gt, T5 trans.

I have a very small transmission leak at the rear transmission seal (where the drive shaft connects to trans). Its leaking on my x pipes. Its not that major of a leak, but it has been some time since i had it checked. Now i wanna learn how to check it myself because, lets face it, im not always gonna have a mechanic around, plus i really wanna top it off, or fill it up if its almost dry.

Also on a side note:should i get a performance clutch if all i have done to my 4.6 2v is a CAI, bassani x pipes, and flowmaster muffs?
6stringz803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringz803
I have a very small transmission leak at the rear transmission seal (where the drive shaft connects to trans). Its leaking on my x pipes. Its not that major of a leak, but it has been some time since i had it checked. Now i wanna learn how to check it myself because, lets face it, im not always gonna have a mechanic around, plus i really wanna top it off, or fill it up if its almost dry.

Also on a side note:should i get a performance clutch if all i have done to my 4.6 2v is a CAI, bassani x pipes, and flowmaster muffs?
You will need to jack up the car (preferably whole it's cold) and then on the passenger side you should see 2 plugs with heads designed just to got a 3/8s ratchet. Romove the top one and then stick your pinky in the hole. You should be able to feel fluid, if not then its low.

I would say no on the clutch unless you are gonna throw some serious mods at it in the next couple years.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: how to check the transmission fluid in a 98 Gt, T5 trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
You will need to jack up the car (preferably whole it's cold) and then on the passenger side you should see 2 plugs with heads designed just to got a 3/8s ratchet. Romove the top one and then stick your pinky in the hole. You should be able to feel fluid, if not then its low.

I would say no on the clutch unless you are gonna throw some serious mods at it in the next couple years.
Next wed. im having 3.55's installed in my 8.8 (not sure if that would give me more cause to go with a clutch upgrade. alsoI was considering getting a diablosport ECU programmer. would that give me enough power to warrant the mild street clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'd get a clutch now if your possibly going to do it at some point. It's much much easier to do it before you have alot of exhaust done especially long tubes because you can't drop the transmission without unbolting them from the head. It's impossible. Plus a aftermarket clutch, even stage 1 will grip much harder then the factory one. If you plan on doing extensive mods just spend the money on your big clutch now. There is alot more mods I would suggest before dropping all your money on cheap little bolt ons also. Work on that chassis and suspension cause that will make a bigger difference. I just put on some MM full length sub frames and it makes a big difference in how your car transfers weight. Less chassis flex means more power to the wheels.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringz803

Next wed. im having 3.55's installed in my 8.8 (not sure if that would give me more cause to go with a clutch upgrade. alsoI was considering getting a diablosport ECU programmer. would that give me enough power to warrant the mild street clutch?
No I doesn't require a clutch upgrade. Both the tuner and the gears. I honestly don't think you need to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch until you get some serious mods in the works. A lot of people over-clutch their cars (eg. Stage 3 clutch with minor bolt ons) it ruins a lot of driveability when you buy sometrhing meant to handle 600+hp and you have 300.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have a stage 3+ clutch and drivability didn't go down at all. It's hard to push at first but you get used to it. It's a full disc clutch so it's excellent for street and it holds 850+ tq
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
I have a stage 3+ clutch and drivability didn't go down at all. It's hard to push at first but you get used to it. It's a full disc clutch so it's excellent for street and it holds 850+ tq
I just don't see the point in it when you don't have the power for it.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well my point of it is to have a clutch broke in for the motor I'm building. Can't break in a clutch in while program tuning an engine. If I wasn't going so high of power I would have stuck with a stage 1 or whatever but I figured buy it now and not buy multiple clutches. If you do buy one I really recommend a full disc clutch. I'm not joking when I say it's streetability is near stock.

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

I've also got more then just bolt ons to though. My current engine is cammed and has some other stuff done to it. Is the stage 3+ overkill... Probably. Do I care. Not really.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well my point of it is to have a clutch broke in for the motor I'm building. Can't break in a clutch in while program tuning an engine. If I wasn't going so high of power I would have stuck with a stage 1 or whatever but I figured buy it now and not buy multiple clutches. If you do buy one I really recommend a full disc clutch. I'm not joking when I say it's streetability is near stock.

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

I've also got more then just bolt ons to though. My current engine is cammed and has some other stuff done to it. Is the stage 3+ overkill... Probably. Do I care. Not really.
Good for you. What else do you plan on doing?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's a 4.6 block that I bored to 3.70 for 305 ci 5.0L displacement. Stock stroke stage 2 ported trick flow heads from mhs with stage 2.5 blower cams on a kenne bell 2.6 running max of 25psi. Should push probably 650-700 rwhp. Full built 31 spline rear end. Doing it right. Don't really wanna break anything lol most of the time you break 1 thing several others break.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a 4.6 block that I bored to 3.70 for 305 ci 5.0L displacement. Stock stroke stage 2 ported trick flow heads from mhs with stage 2.5 blower cams on a kenne bell 2.6 running max of 25psi. Should push probably 650-700 rwhp. Full built 31 spline rear end. Doing it right. Don't really wanna break anything lol most of the time you break 1 thing several others break.
Nice. What are you planning on doing with it?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just doing it for fun and a toy. Thats at Max boost. I figure running it at about 15psi should make it very street friendly but it wont drive on the street much at that level. I wanna run e85 in it but the problem with that is it isn't everywhere so you always run the risk of running out unless you can retune on the spot.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Might just have to meth it up or somethin
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just doing it for fun and a toy. Thats at Max boost. I figure running it at about 15psi should make it very street friendly but it wont drive on the street much at that level. I wanna run e85 in it but the problem with that is it isn't everywhere so you always run the risk of running out unless you can retune on the spot.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Might just have to meth it up or somethin
Nice. I know the water meth kits help a lot. I know a couple people with a very street able 650whp.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

But we should probably stop this thread jack
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Re: how to check the transmission fluid in a 98 Gt, T5 trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
But we should probably stop this thread jack
its cool lol im learning new stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT