Alignment problems. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Alignment problems.

I got this mustang around november last year. it drove straight and wheel was centered. the passenger side fender had been replaced because someone backed into it. i replaced the stock springs with BBK progressive rate springs. during the installation, the ring and pinion started leaking. i drove it around 3 weeks(without alignment) and car still drove as it did before the spring swap and leaking slowed but i replaced the rack and pinion anyway. after that, the ford dealership says they cant get my drivers side camber down and my thrust angle in the rear is high. they think either i have a bent strut on that front wheel or the frame is twisted. Any ideas?
Bosaliniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosaliniee
I got this mustang around november last year. it drove straight and wheel was centered. the passenger side fender had been replaced because someone backed into it. i replaced the stock springs with BBK progressive rate springs. during the installation, the ring and pinion started leaking. i drove it around 3 weeks(without alignment) and car still drove as it did before the spring swap and leaking slowed but i replaced the rack and pinion anyway. after that, the ford dealership says they cant get my drivers side camber down and my thrust angle in the rear is high. they think either i have a bent strut on that front wheel or the frame is twisted. Any ideas?
When you installed the springs did you clock them right ? If not this will give you a variance in ride height and make doing an alignment difficult
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Alignment problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
When you installed the springs did you clock them right ? If not this will give you a variance in ride height and make doing an alignment difficult
im pretty sure i got them in the same as the stock came out. its been so long since ive done it, is there a way to check it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

im pretty sure i got them in the same as the stock came out. its been so long since ive done it, is there a way to check it?
The ends of the pig tail on the bottom of the springs should b facing the drivers side of the car

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

The ends of the pig tail on the bottom of the springs should b facing the drivers side of the car
If that checks out it is quite possible that you have a bent strut especially if the struts are stock. The stock struts and shocks don't last very long on a lowered car.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

both springs should be facing the drivers side or just the one on the drivers side? ill have to check them tomorrow night.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
both springs should be facing the drivers side or just the one on the drivers side? ill have to check them tomorrow night.
All 4 springs should be clocked the same way
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ok thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No problem keep us posted on how it goes if that's not the problem while the car is in the air check out that strut also
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

the guy at the dealership said if its bent its not enought that i will be able to see or measure.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the guy at the dealership said if its bent its not enought that i will be able to see or measure.
That's true you won't be able to see or measure the shaft because it is covered with a dust boot , but u can look at the strut and see if there is any wear or rub marks from the dust boot on the strut . If the shaft is bent you should possibly see something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT