Car sits for couple weeks and wont start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car sits for couple weeks and wont start

Cars been off the road for a bit, waiting for the nice weather. When I went to start it she was completely dead. Fired up perfectly when jumped. Drove around a bit and stopped turned off and refired it up no problem. Then same problem couple days later. Alarm won't work inside lights won't turn on. The guy told me that she doesn't like cold weather but it's garage kept. Is my battery garbage? Or is my alarm draining all the juice? Any help would b great thanks...new to site, love it so far
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Car sits for couple weeks and wont start

those to ideas are where you want to start. Look for things that are on when the car is sitting. If you Wanted to, just undo the negative terminal and then put it on when you need it. however idk if that hurts the tuning of the car if you have one.. Anyways, your battery just might be garbage or if theres an alarm light that takes a bit more power than most, it could overtime drain it. Just look for stuff that is on and Straight connected to the battery without a switch. if you hook up LED lights Straight to the battery without a switch, they'll always be on. Thats an example...
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
those to ideas are where you want to start. Look for things that are on when the car is sitting. If you Wanted to, just undo the negative terminal and then put it on when you need it. however idk if that hurts the tuning of the car if you have one.. Anyways, your battery just might be garbage or if theres an alarm light that takes a bit more power than most, it could overtime drain it. Just look for stuff that is on and Straight connected to the battery without a switch. if you hook up LED lights Straight to the battery without a switch, they'll always be on. Thats an example...
I do have an alarm light that blinks above the steering wheel but shouldn't batteries be able to run something like that with no problem? how do u check if batteries are getting old or are no good anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have the same problem. When I am ready to take her out for the summer I totally recharge the battery and she is good to go. If I don't I have the same problem you had. Still not to say you don't need a new battery though.
99stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Try Charging it overnight I had the same problem when I took mine out, when you run your car for short periods of time it kills the battery an doesn't let it charge up enough. I let mine charge to a full battery overnight and since then it's kept a charge. Maybe your battery isn't good anymore that could be it too
Dylanbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you don't have a battery tester you can go to any auto parts store and they should be able to test it for you and tell you if you have a dead cell then you can take it from there

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
If you don't have a battery tester you can go to any auto parts store and they should be able to test it for you and tell you if you have a dead cell then you can take it from there
If that checks out check the alternator
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99stalker
I have the same problem. When I am ready to take her out for the summer I totally recharge the battery and she is good to go. If I don't I have the same problem you had. Still not to say you don't need a new battery though.
Dumb ? But did u buy a battery charger to charge it? And if so is there a certain kind? I have no knowledge of batteries. How do u know when ur batts no good anymore? Cus I'm getting sick of jump starting

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Alright I'll probably buy a charger n try charging for a day cus i dnt plan on driving her all year so would b a good purchase. Next time my car sits for an extended period of time is it best to disconnect the battery? Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it. I'm a noob to the car world hope to learn quickly on here
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had one from before, but you just need a trickle charger. You hook it up to the battery and let it sit over night and usually by morning it's fully charged.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Mine sits for about 6mo over the winter and yes, you should disconnect the battery during long periods of idle time.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had one from before, but you just need a trickle charger. You hook it up to the battery and let it sit over night and usually by morning it's fully charged.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Mine sits for about 6mo over the winter and yes, you should disconnect the battery during long periods of idle time.
Awesome thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Car sits for couple weeks and wont start

As stated before, IF the battery checks out and no faults are found, i would try the alternator.. maybe it just went to crap.. Unless once you jump it, you can drive it for a long time. if its the alternator not charging it, it would die on you While your driving. hah and that would suck. but Yea get a trickle charger and test the battery. if you haven't in a Long time id suggest just getting a Brand new battery. those things are beast. lol
Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Take it to a parts store and get both the battery and the charging system tested. Both should be free. When you're looking at the test sheet, look at the cold cranking amps. One of the employees should be able to show you how much it's putting out and how much it's supposed to put out. Usually of it's 60% or less of the number on the battery then you should replace the battery. Also pay attention to the voltage. You should have around 12.3 volts coming off the battery. A charging system test should be able to tell you of there is any sort of draw coming off the battery. Hope this helps.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Most good battery's have warranties and if you take it in to parts store and its completely dead they will just give you a new one!
Csnow99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ill bet its your alarm. ford cars are notorious for aftermarket security systems draining batteries.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So I went out and purchased a battery charger hooked up the battery and it's sat at 2 on the meter the whole time it's been charging...approx 24 hours. Sparks show when I connect the positive to the battery. This means I have a charge right? So does this indicate that something else may be wrong with my car and that the battery is ok?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just because it sparks doesn't mean it's fully charged. The gauge has to read 0 to be fully charged. Also make sure if it's a 6v and 12v you have it on 12v.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just because it sparks doesn't mean it's fully charged. The gauge has to read 0 to be fully charged. Also make sure if it's a 6v and 12v you have it on 12v.
Ya it's on 12v but it's just stayed at two hasn't really moved in 24 hrs, should I just keep charging it?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I know when I put mine on it was on three and in 24 hrs it went to the 0. It may be that it's just not going to charge. Have you tried it to see if it starts the car and holds a charge?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Im gunna try a lil later today, fingers crossed but I doubt it will fire. On a jump it starts no problem, pissing me off lol. Would napa auto parts store be able to check battery and connectors out? And if so what do u think it will cost?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they should be able to check it. If it needs a new one may 75-125.00. Not exactly sure.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Right on thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So I let my car battery sit on the charger for two days the needle finally hit zero shoved the battery in and the car started up perfectly thank god, unhooked the battery so the alarm won't drain it. Big thanks for the advice guys
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

No problem. Glad it worked and hope it keeps starting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT