Turbo or supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Turbo or supercharger

Is turbo better or supercharger
Usikan2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usikan2237
Is turbo better or supercharger
Depends on what you are looking for

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Re: Turbo or supercharger

Supercharger=belt driven instant power

Turbocharger=lag but no parasitic loss

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I like turbos just cause they kick in later and also sound better
Usikan2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I like the relative simplicity of a supercharger on our cars. Install is way easier (no tubular K's, custom brackets, painful header installation), and the power is still there. Not to mention Vortech tunes your car if you buy their kit... Which also comes with fuel delivery. Stock motors don't want more than 8psi anyways, so why turbo unless you're fully forged. Stockers will just bend rods.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
I like the relative simplicity of a supercharger on our cars. Install is way easier (no tubular K's, custom brackets, painful header installation), and the power is still there. Not to mention Vortech tunes your car if you buy their kit... Which also comes with fuel delivery. Stock motors don't want more than 8psi anyways, so why turbo unless you're fully forged. Stockers will just bend rods.
Idk if it's just me. But I feel like turbos belong in Japanese cars. And superchargers for our beefy muscle cars. Lol.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

Idk if it's just me. But I feel like turbos belong in Japanese cars. And superchargers for our beefy muscle cars. Lol.
+1
480 rwhp 450 # of torque
Mmustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

Hence the happy installation of a supercharger vs the PITA of a turbo. I kid, I kid. I love turbos, they're just a lot more money and work in our cars than the ol' centrifugal force-feeder. If we are talking about boosting a stock motor, a low-boost supercharger is the most economical, self-install friendly route to take.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Turbos will always give you more horsepower psi for psi due to having no parasitic loss, however lag can be a big issue. I personally love turbos for the very reasons that everybody just listed: that are a pain in the butt to install and time bit once they are tuned correctly well there's no better feeling to me than suddenly feeling this strong pull from the engine. I love the sound you get from superchargers but they just aren't for me.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Turbos will always give you more horsepower psi for psi due to having no parasitic loss, however lag can be a big issue. I personally love turbos for the very reasons that everybody just listed: that are a pain in the butt to install and time bit once they are tuned correctly well there's no better feeling to me than suddenly feeling this strong pull from the engine. I love the sound you get from superchargers but they just aren't for me.
What about a supercharger and dual turbos?? Let's talk power!!

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

And meth, and nitrous, and a jet engine!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And meth, and nitrous, and a jet engine!
Let's do it!!!

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Superchargers are a lot eaiser on you're motor.....turbos usually have much higher boost levels while superchargers can run 6-8 psi and give you power in all RPM ranges.
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha compound boost is awesome, but a tuning nightmare.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I want this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-289669566.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	47859  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #16

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballing0416
Superchargers are a lot eaiser on you're motor.....turbos usually have much higher boost levels while superchargers can run 6-8 psi and give you power in all RPM ranges.
That's not necessarily true. You can stay out of boost with a turbo just driving and shifting normally as opposed to superchargers always producing boost.

Regardless, you can run any reasonable amount of boost safely with a good tune.
cole trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballing0416
This is very false info
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
This is very false info
+1 you can run a turbo at any boost level!!! Its all about the waste gate. I LOVE turbos and when I do my big build here in the next year or so I have given them alot of thought. I currently have a Vortech supercharger simply because it was cheap and easy to install. Im pushing 370/380 on a super safe tune and I am having a blast
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

I like the on3 performance turbo kits, because they are cheaper than a supercharger kit, they sound better to my opinion, make more power at same boost level as supercharges, and the don't have lag, and they back it all with their cars, dyno numbers, and a pretty good warranty. They carry a complete kit with upgradable options. Plus they got a forward facing kit now, so no more k-members.... I want it so bad lol...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
This thread is destined to be just like manual vs auto....so im saying I like old school roots superchargers but thats just my preference..I think both can obviously be tuned for a dd as ford is using both supercharger and turbos in production vehicles....imo you see turbos in more fuel efficient vehicles as they are more efficient at making power,and superchargers in car more dedicated to a muscle car status so to speak...well at least speaking from a production vehicle standpoint...all imo..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
I like the on3 performance turbo kits, because they are cheaper than a supercharger kit, they sound better to my opinion, make more power at same boost level as supercharges, and the don't have lag, and they back it all with their cars, dyno numbers, and a pretty good warranty. They carry a complete kit with upgradable options. Plus they got a forward facing kit now, so no more k-members.... I want it so bad lol...
The problem with their cheap kit is that its gonna blow up fast, the basic turbo is a cheap chinese one. And they still lag. You will always get lag unless you get a dinky turbo.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

The problem with their cheap kit is that its gonna blow up fast, the basic turbo is a cheap chinese one. And they still lag. You will always get lag unless you get a dinky turbo.
I don't understand how you would not get lag from anything powered by your exhaust..your exhaust has to build up before it can spin the turbine fast enough to produce power right? I'm no expert on turbos but I believe thats how it works. Just wondering how you wouldn't have lag like that if I'm wrong please school me I'm trying to learn...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Ok well I didn't know after putting almost 4 grand in a turbo set up was cheap? But is still cheaper than a vortec,Paxton,procharger, or Kenny bell etc. or even a hellion kit.... So give me a break lol...

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote:

I don't understand how you would not get lag from anything powered by your exhaust..your exhaust has to build up before it can spin the turbine fast enough to produce power right? I'm no expert on turbos but I believe thats how it works. Just wondering how you wouldn't have lag like that if I'm wrong please school me I'm trying to learn...
Ok so let's put it this way, if your are coming straight from the headers, to the turbo with only 6-8 psi, you will still get fats spool. Especially on "high compression stock" motors, plus not to mention you still always have air pushing to the turbo, so even if there is lag, it picks up in the matter of a second, so really you wouldn't even notice it. At least not from what I can tell...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A "dinky turbo" like mentioned before will not lag because it is small enough to spin up fast at low RPMs and eliminate whatever lag you would have. However, they do not produce much in the way of peak power. This is the reason why most twin turbo setups, instead of just creating tons of boost late in the power band with two large turbos instead incorporate one small and one larger turbo, one for launches and low end power and one for peak, after the small one is delivering diminished gains.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A "dinky turbo" like mentioned before will not lag because it is small enough to spin up fast at low RPMs and eliminate whatever lag you would have. However, they do not produce much in the way of peak power. This is the reason why most twin turbo setups, instead of just creating tons of boost late in the power band with two large turbos instead incorporate one small and one larger turbo, one for launches and low end power and one for peak, after the small one is delivering diminished gains.
Ok if define dinky, lol because a centrifugal blower is about the same size as about a 70mm turbo... I'll back off because I don't wanna argue or sound a a know it all jerk...

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote:

Ok if define dinky, lol because a centrifugal blower is about the same size as about a 70mm turbo... I'll back off because I don't wanna argue or sound a a know it all jerk...
All I was say is I like the kit but hey apparently I don't fit in here because you guys all like supercharges lmao...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't want any arguments to pursue either and that will cause me to unsubscribe quickly. Just tryin to learn here and help out the op at the same time.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't want any arguments to pursue either and that will cause me to unsubscribe quickly. Just tryin to learn here and help out the op at the same time.
Yah buddy I hear ya sorry...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
A smaller turbo does not require lots of exhaust gases to spin fast because there is less mass to spin and there is less volume to fill inside the turbo so the amount of exhaust gases at low rpms is sufficient.

A centrifugal supercharger is driven off the crankshaft and builds boost dependent upon rpms, not engine load. Supercharges always have some boost as long as the motor is running. In order for a supercharger to create more power you just throw on a smaller pulley and make it spin faster and dram in more air

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't understand how you would not get lag from anything powered by your exhaust..your exhaust has to build up before it can spin the turbine fast enough to produce power right? I'm no expert on turbos but I believe thats how it works. Just wondering how youget wouldn't have lag like that if I'm wrong please school me I'm trying to learn...
I don't mean to argue either. But its as they mentioned. The thing with the On 3 kit is that the smallest turbo you can get is a 67 mil. Its not big but it isnt small. Compared to say your typical 4 cylinder turbo then yes we have little turbo lag.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

I don't mean to argue either. But its as they mentioned. The thing with the On 3 kit is that the smallest turbo you can get is a 67 mil. Its not big but it isnt small. Compared to say your typical 4 cylinder turbo then yes we have little turbo lag.
So is on3 good or not? They are not too far from me...neither is hofibertrends..that's where I'll be getting my hood..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok well I didn't know after putting almost 4 grand in a turbo set up was cheap? But is still cheaper than a vortec,Paxton,procharger, or Kenny bell etc. or even a hellion kit.... So give me a break lol...

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Ok so let's put it this way, if your are coming straight from the headers, to the turbo with only 6-8 psi, you will still get fats spool. Especially on "high compression stock" motors, plus not to mention you still always have air pushing to the turbo, so even if there is lag, it picks up in the matter of a second, so really you wouldn't even notice it. At least not from what I can tell...
I just mean with the basic kit its going to be a relatively cheap kit because they get their supplies from japan, or china, or something like that., i think jegs has a $2900 but its not going to last long. If you build the kit with good parts, thats when you get into the $4k range. I dont mean to argue either, forums are here for everybody to learn things. Yes you are correct on how fast they spool however the biggest factor is how big the turbo is.

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

Quote:

So is on3 good or not? They are not too far from me...neither is hofibertrends..that's where I'll be getting my hood..
I think they are good, as long as you stick with the higher quality kits. I plan on using their kit once i can get the funds.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

I just mean with the basic kit its going to be a relatively cheap kit because they get their supplies from japan, or china, or something like that., i think jegs has a $2900 but its not going to last long. If you build the kit with good parts, thats when you get into the $4k range. I dont mean to argue either, forums are here for everybody to learn things. Yes you are correct on how fast they spool however the biggest factor is how big the turbo is.

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

I think they are good, as long as you stick with the higher quality kits. I plan on using their kit once i can get the funds.
I'm kinda interested jn their front facing kit although I don't like the atmosphere waste gate...I don't want that *pshsss* sound coming out of my engine bay...I'm not a ricer...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm kinda interested jn their front facing kit although I don't like the atmosphere waste gate...I don't want that *pshsss* sound coming out of my engine bay...I'm not a ricer...
I haven't researched a lot of their stuff yet just because I'm not gonna have the money for a longtime. I'm kind of a fan of the atmosphere blow off valve, of you want a quiet one, then get a recirculating blow off valve. It just routes the excess pressure into the exhaust.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

On3 makes good stuff. I looked into getting one of their kits before i bought my vortech setup. As mentioned before the turbos are chinese but they give you an option to upgrade. I recommend them fully but with these exceptions, get the upgraded turbo, waste gate, and BOV. Everything else is fine.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT