Brake light wtf! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Brake light wtf!

K guys I guess I got kinda a silly question, but if your third brake light is out (trunk light). Will it automatically make the the taillights not light up when you hit the brakes?
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sonicblue11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Williamstown
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 542
It shouldn't at all, it's hooked up to a different harness
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11
It shouldn't at all, it's hooked up to a different harness
Yah that's right at least what I thought. I know I have running lights but the cop told me I don't have brake lights, when I go to brake? I don't know go figure huh...

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah that's right at least what I thought. I know I have running lights but the cop told me I don't have brake lights, when I go to brake? I don't know go figure huh...
I don't know the whole thing just makes me mad because I keep getting harassed by the police about it...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
etc1006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 200
Maybe you should check into it, then the fuzz won't hassle you? Just sayin'....
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006
Maybe you should check into it, then the fuzz won't hassle you? Just sayin'....
Well I fixed the sob once before, but now my taillights won't even light up?

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Well I fixed the sob once before, but now my taillights won't even light up?
And you know I don't really know that much about the whole wiring business? I mean I know it could be a short,bad fuse, or even a brake light switch. But heck I don't even know where to start... It's like one day it all worked, then went the third. And now my taillights don't even light up???
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Look for a fuse, I can't remember where the fuse box is, but that should be the problem.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Look for a fuse, I can't remember where the fuse box is, but that should be the problem.
Yah the fuse box is in a spot where you have to come in through the passenger side, then turn yourself upside down. Then try to figure out witch fuse it is to test lol... I think it's up under the driver side dash I don't know. I wish I had someone like you to help me out... I really do think it is the brake light switch though...

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006
Maybe you should check into it, then the fuzz won't hassle you? Just sayin'....
Oh yah " you should check into it" that's what the cop said last night lol... Your not a cop are you!
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah the fuse box is in a spot where you have to come in through the passenger side, then turn yourself upside down. Then try to figure out witch fuse it is to test lol... I think it's up under the driver side dash I don't know. I wish I had someone like you to help me out... I really do think it is the brake light switch though...

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------



Oh yah " you should check into it" that's what the cop said last night lol... Your not a cop are you!
Ummm should be in the engine bay... if that's the right one. Do you have a Chilton/Haynes manual?

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

U really wish I could remember right now. Once you find the correct fuse box, read the cover and look for one labeled Brake Lights of something similar. Just pull it out and look for broken metal in it.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Ummm should be in the engine bay... if that's the right one. Do you have a Chilton/Haynes manual?

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

U really wish I could remember right now. Once you find the correct fuse box, read the cover and look for one labeled Brake Lights of something similar. Just pull it out and look for broken metal in it.
Yah man I looked and I can't really tell, I mean they all look good to me... I guess I'm gonna stop being lazy and break out the fuse tester...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah man I looked and I can't really tell, I mean they all look good to me... I guess I'm gonna stop being lazy and break out the fuse tester...
Just start pulling them out and looking for one thats blown
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Just start pulling them out and looking for one thats blown
Yah I'm workin on that now thanks brotha... You know I did just find this 15A that was just taped in there? Wtf? I don't know it seems like everything on this car was just rigged to heck and back! Ahh oh well I'm taking care of it a lil at a time...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah I'm workin on that now thanks brotha... You know I did just find this 15A that was just taped in there? Wtf? I don't know it seems like everything on this car was just rigged to heck and back! Ahh oh well I'm taking care of it a lil at a time...
Ok so ya can say I told ya so... Because I did end up finding 3 bad fuses, I replaced them, so now everything works now...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Ok so ya can say I told ya so... Because I did end up finding 3 bad fuses, I replaced them, so now everything works now...
Awesome!
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 1
I have a question just found this site I need some help with my new mustang the break lights work when the lights are on but when I push the breaks they don't get brighter and other then when the lights are on when I press them they still don't work I just put a new break switch in and checked all the fuses and bulbs and everything is fine can some one please help me out it's a 1996 mustang srs thank you
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Have you checked to see if you have voltage at the taillight bulbs?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
escottcarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jackson
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 365
Also. If your cruise control doesn't work and the brake lights don't work, check the fuse first. Both circuits are on the same fuse.


Have a big Mustang day!
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
Also, the switch behind the brake pedal that illuminates your brake lights and deactivates cruise control is something to check. I've heard that one of the wires coming off of it tends to get hot and melts.

Sent from the Death Star.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
escottcarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jackson
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 365
The insulation on that wire can melt and the wire shorts against another metal part, too.

It is difficult to see when it is dark under the dash and you are in a strange position to see under the dash.

I took lots of pics to figure out my problem a few weeks ago.


Have a big Mustang day!
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.