Mark VIII swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mark VIII swap?

Just wondering if anyone on the boards was running a Mark VIII motor? I have heard the swap is relatively simple, but I don't know anyone that has done it. Personally considering this swap and a Vortech when the time comes to make mine morr of a "go" car.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Its basically the same as a cobra swap. make sure you get the computer. i love a vortech blower.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Well if you want to build a motor from the bottom up that will give you a better platform to buid hp then go with the 4v. Now if you get a Mark motor try for a 97-98 as they have upgraded behive springs. But the bottom end is going to have to be fortified anyways. I myself went with a mark 4v. Now I forged the bottom end and ported the B series heads. Worked the intake and made IMRC deletes. I've done the work my self with the exception of the machine work. Now I went with the 4v for future endevors. The block alone is worth it to me. Now I won't lie it is expensive but there a lot of parts that can be found here. If you decide to look into the 4v look my club up on facebook. We have a guy that did a v6 to 4v swap, also there are many photos of my build. Facebook.com and search for War Horse Mustang Club. Everyone is welcome!!
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Its basically the same as a cobra swap. make sure you get the computer. i love a vortech blower.
You don't need the computer. For the swap. It will need to be dyno tuned but will run on the 99-04 ecm. Things I'm not using... EGR valve and sensors, and Knock sensors (GT's don't have those).
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

You don't need the computer. For the swap. It will need to be dyno tuned but will run on the 99-04 ecm. Things I'm not using... EGR valve and sensors, and Knock sensors (GT's don't have those).
Right. I heard all you really need to change are heater hoses and remove egr equipment, and of course knock sensors.. I plan to source a 97+ motor mostly for the factory coil-on-plug, but knowing it has other benefits only sweetens the pot. I'll be honest.. I was going to run 8psi on a stock rotating assembly.

Side question. My mustang misfires at random. Without knock sensors, how does it detect the misfire? Crank sensor?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

8 psi would be fine on the Mark motor. If you find some 99-01 cobra cams they work well with boost. 96-98 cams are the most aggressive NA cams. Plus the block alone is worth the cash. Its an aluminum block that is on top for handling big hp.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
Side question. My mustang misfires at random. Without knock sensors, how does it detect the misfire? Crank sensor?
That and cam sensor. But if your motor is randomly misfiring check coils . Is it underload are at idle?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Idle. Does it intermittently. I suspect the coil. Only on #5. I'm looking into it tomorrow
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
Idle. Does it intermittently. I suspect the coil. Only on #5. I'm looking into it tomorrow
Swap the coil with a known good hole and see if the problem migrates to the new hole.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Mark VIII swap?

would this motor work on a 98 gt without doing an ecu swap? private message as the next time i get on (tomorrow after work) this post will probably be pushed back and i would forget to look.
6stringz803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Mark VIII swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringz803 View Post
would this motor work on a 98 gt without doing an ecu swap? private message as the next time i get on (tomorrow after work) this post will probably be pushed back and i would forget to look.
Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT. - MustangForums.com

"Installing the motor extremely tough to do with the K member and/or the transmission still in the car. It is IMPOSSIBLE to install this motor with the K member bolted in and the transmission still in the car. I had to unbolt the transmission and lower/slide it out of the way, then mount the engine on the K member. Then I had to set the car on the ramps, unbolt the K member and lift the body up enough to bolt the transmission to the engine. *I also believe that it will be near impossible to install the engine with the transmission bolted to it due to clearance issues, but I can not confirm this*" I do not agree with this section since it is actually how I did it. But the right up seems sound. I will be doing one myself that has more in depth explanations and photos. For a 99-04 New Edge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT