Cold engine rattle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Cold engine rattle?

My 99 gt has a horrible rattle when I start my car and it is getting worse, at first it was only when engine was cold but now it's every time I start it, when engine is cold it last about four minutes and is the most horrible sound ever(death rattle) and when warm it does it but goes away quicker. It is really pissing me off!! What could this be and how can I possibly fix it? Any help would be GREAT!!!
Csnow99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Region: Tennessee
It sounds like piston slap man its when the clearance between the piston and the cylinder bore is too big ( space between piston and cylinder wall) if it stops once the engine is warm its becase the heat will expand the metals causing that gap to close there fore reducing the noice its caused just by wear on the engine parts if this sounds characteristic just Google it you can find a lot of info about it
dmg1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #3

Region: Mississippi
Re: Cold engine rattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnow99gt View Post
My 99 gt has a horrible rattle when I start my car and it is getting worse, at first it was only when engine was cold but now it's every time I start it, when engine is cold it last about four minutes and is the most horrible sound ever(death rattle) and when warm it does it but goes away quicker. It is really pissing me off!! What could this be and how can I possibly fix it? Any help would be GREAT!!!
you havent done any cam swaps have you?
southernstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No cam swaps, but a few years ago I warped a head and took to machine shop and they were able to shave them down and repair them. The bottom end should be stock, my car has now about 79000 miles
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnow99gt View Post
No cam swaps, but a few years ago I warped a head and took to machine shop and they were able to shave them down and repair them. The bottom end should be stock, my car has now about 79000 miles
ohok, well reason I ask is because I did a cam swap on mine and I used new bolts with locktight and even Tq the cam sprocket bolt to spec. Well mine started to do the same as your when cold and once warm went away. Then, it did it all the time and this was six months to a year later. Long story, but it was a fault cam bolt that backed out over time and the sprocket was moving back in fourth causing the noise I was hearing. I was get a hearing scope, turn the car on and move the scope around to see if you can isolate the noise but I would def agree with dmg1092 though.
southernstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My f150 did the same thing it was the timing tensioners/guides
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was also reading some stuff online and people say that that's happened when they put 5w30 in their stangs, I was putting the wrong oil in before which was 10w30 synthetic and a few months back I switched to 5w30 the correct oil and then it seems the noise started
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

That's the oil I've used since 120*** miles it hasn't done it to mine I had the piston slap in the cold months and it sounds like a ticking or tapping noise idk man are there any other things that are happening along with it or what
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No other problems but do you think switching my oil could cause piston slap?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

I doubt it man that would just be caused by like wear on the rings
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnow99gt
I would have someone crank the car while you listen fore the noise.if you isolate the nose to around the front of the engine I would say tensioners if it sounds like our its coming fromthe sides/top it might be piston slap
kelidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

If it is just when its cold i would bet its more of a valvetrain issue. Our motors are known to have some valve chatter when cold
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT