Transmission Fluid advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
Transmission Fluid advice

I know this question that im about to ask is a really noob question, and i should ask around (as i will tomorrow at a decent time when i get a break at work) but how much would it cost to get the transmission fluid drained from my T5 and replaced. The reason i need this done is because It has a very slow leak around the rear seal and ive yet to add Tranny Fluid. The car's shifting has gotten "Grabby" where it doesnt want to go into gear as easily as it should. I have replaced the rear seal twice, and the only thing i can think of is that either the driveshaft is out of balance, or the yoke is slightly bent, opening up the seal just enough for a very small leak. Based on my philosophy that If it is cheaper in the long run to keep adding fluid than it is to fix the leak (copyright lol) i think i will just leave the seal alone. Also i would check the amount of fluid myself, but the mechanic who replaced the rear seal last time impacted the fill plug on the tranny (I think) because I tried to climb under the car last night and loosen it and it wouldnt even budge, even after i hit the ratchet with a ball peen hammer.

On a side note, I read that the manual calls for Mercon 5 ATF. would it hurt my tranny if i used gas station special ATF?

6stringz803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Region: Mississippi
Re: Transmission Fluid advice

I had a slow leak in my automatic GT and I added a product called lucas that you can by at autozone, napa, or any place like that. Its in a white and it helps with hard shifting and leaks, yes if it is a slow leak like mine was then it works. I have yet to figure out where the leak was coming from but it has stopped since I started using it. Far as a brand, I have always used the cheap brand along with a bottle of that lucas and never had a problem. I think a manual takes like two-three bottles of fluild and a filter if it has one. Far as the plug, seriously doubt he did that but there is a chance. If you can get a breaker bar and try to do it that way but if he cross thread the plug then its a different story.
southernstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT