Super charge or no? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Region: Montana
Super charge or no?

Own a 2003 gt but all it has is an updated cold air intake. It has 143000 miles but I was wondering if I could supercharge it without needing to replace anything on the motor? Also, there is a chirp sound I get every time I release the clutch, but goes away when I engage the clutch. Any ideas what that could be?
Grizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Does the chirp happen once or continue and is it when the clutch engaged or disengage
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvicar04
Does the chirp happen once or continue and is it when the clutch engaged or disengage
The chirp continues after I disengage the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Probably your throw out bearing (TOB) happened on mine, one of the reasons I'm changing my clutch and flywheel I would say sort that out then build your motor a little before you supercharge it
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm having the same problem I was told throw out bearing.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It's tob, I have an old truck that does it. Been like that for 10yrs.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I would say its the TOB as well but while your changing it I would recommend changing out your pilot bearing bearing as well, it's cheap and can be done at the same time as the TOB. Oh and highly recommend you buy ford racing. Every aftermarket TOB I've ever used has crapped out on me within a 3 month period. But just my experience and my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
I would say its the TOB as well but while your changing it I would recommend changing out your pilot bearing bearing as well, it's cheap and can be done at the same time as the TOB. Oh and highly recommend you buy ford racing. Every aftermarket TOB I've ever used has crapped out on me within a 3 month period. But just my experience and my 2 cents. Good luck!
He's right ford racing is what I've been recommended, I have the same problem, and I've been told its not a big deal not to worry about it to much... I'd say change the fork too though, really you just wanna change it all out... Now that I think about it mine does eventually stop after drivin a while and everything is warmed up...

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizfan
Own a 2003 gt but all it has is an updated cold air intake. It has 143000 miles but I was wondering if I could supercharge it without needing to replace anything on the motor? Also, there is a chirp sound I get every time I release the clutch, but goes away when I engage the clutch. Any ideas what that could be?
Oh ya and if ya think ur motor can handle a supercharger then go for it... I found a dude on another forum web site post a how to build an affordable supercharger for the 99-04s... It's a forum that has hot threads for all websites where you can get all the parts. It's all on a budget for around 1500$ not counting shipping... He also has another thread just for info for people wanting to go supercharged, it's like info to give people a better In site of it. Look it up; " how to build an affordable supercharger kit". It's on modded mustangs...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Super charge or no?

My question for this thread is how much boost can stock internals handle safely for any period of time. 6psi? 9 psi?
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001
My question for this thread is how much boost can stock internals handle safely for any period of time. 6psi? 9 psi?
The amount of boost you can run safely is really determined by the tune the stock internals can handle 450 fwhp, boost is basically air and doesn't harm an engine what causes detonation is lack of fuel , so you can run any amount of boost safely as long as the AF ratio and the other parameters are correct.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Re: Super charge or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
The amount of boost you can run safely is really determined by the tune the stock internals can handle 450 fwhp, boost is basically air and doesn't harm an engine what causes detonation is lack of fuel , so you can run any amount of boost safely as long as the AF ratio and the other parameters are correct.
Oh ok gotcha I am thinking of supercharging in the future but just have heard all these horror stories of engines letting go shortly after.
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dude I know exactly what the chirp is. Look on amazon and type on clutch quadrant . It's the little device that pulls your clutch cable when u press it.... Pretty much after a while your cable get loose and what you hear is the TOB vibrating with the clutch lever. Now the stock quadrant is plastic.... Stillin makes a medal one with an adjuster at the fire wall so you can actually adjust the stiffness of your clutch. Check it out dude. And also! Throw on a vortech v2 SC and it will come with the whole kit I.E fuel pump injectors and I just bought a Bbk throttle body and some snow performance meth kit - and I'm on Dyno over 405 ...
Aaronv33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr002001

Oh ok gotcha I am thinking of supercharging in the future but just have heard all these horror stories of engines letting go shortly after.
As long as you stay within the 450 mark you should be fine. I have a kenne bell running 10 lbs my car puts down 360rwhp and I'm at 422fwhp I have a conservative tune but it's where I'm confident I'm safe and I never worry about the engine letting go. On that note I say go for it!!!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #14

Thanks for the help guys! I figured it was the throw out bearing but you never know. You all think it's a minor issue? I need to get it replaced but it's still ok to drive? It's annoying as heck!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I would get it replaced sooner than later.the bearings are starting to go bad in it and eventually they will fail, especially is you drive a Mustang like a Mustang lol.I would replace the entire clutch while thou are in there and m make sure you also replace/resurface the flywheel as well
kelidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelidd
I would get it replaced sooner than later.the bearings are starting to go bad in it and eventually they will fail, especially is you drive a Mustang like a Mustang lol.I would replace the entire clutch while thou are in there and m make sure you also replace/resurface the flywheel as well
Why do I need to replace/ resurface the flywheel?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizfan

Why do I need to replace/ resurface the flywheel?
The clutch needs a fresh surface to grab on a to
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

The clutch needs a fresh surface to grab on a to
I gotcha I will keep that in mind
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
All the money for a supercharger you would spend, go with forged internals and nos.....it would be the same price if not cheaper. Then who cares about how many miles it has if you have a completely new moter.
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT