Aurora's heart died. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Aurora's heart died.

You can get a ton of different options, but all come with forged rods and pistons. From there it all depends on what you want/need. Your best bet would be to go to their website and look around.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Re: Aurora's heart died.

a short block is a very basic build coming with mostly just the block and rotating assembly. so a forged short block would have a forged rotating assembly. someone else add in whatever I'm missing but that's the gist of it.
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
You can get a ton of different options, but all come with forged rods and pistons. From there it all depends on what you want/need. Your best bet would be to go to their website and look around.
I can't get on the site right now but the shortblock is the block, forged crank, forged rods, and forged pistons? How much would it be to throw in a set of heads? Maybe $2300?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
02PONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 886
Prob around 3500. I was just on there site like 2 days ago cheapest I seen was like 2300 for short block think they had a long block starting at around 3500
__________________
02PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Aurora's heart died.

Their cheaper options require you to send in your block and crank. But 2300 will get you a new block, cranks, pistons, rods, and everything assembled. Then I would go to modularheadshop.com and look around on there. Nick has several things marked down and at amazing prices. I dont see why you couldnt have the shortblock, heads, cams, springs and everything at your door for more than 4000
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
Their cheaper options require you to send in your block and crank. But 2300 will get you a new block, cranks, pistons, rods, and everything assembled. Then I would go to modularheadshop.com and look around on there. Nick has several things marked down and at amazing prices. I dont see why you couldnt have the shortblock, heads, cams, springs and everything at your door for more than 4000
I don't know if I could swing 4000.. I was reading on mmr that they still use cast cranks. Eh.

Nick's heads run about $1700-2200 for stage II cams, springs, and port. That's not terrible I guess. Haha.

If I didn't have to pay rent and all my bills then I could afford it all! Haha. I could probably spread this build over two months.. Buy the engine this month and heads next month.. Then put it all back together. Eh.. This sucks.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #42
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,176
Cole have you tried that big junk yard off I-12 going to baton rouge it's around Albany/Springfield area?
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
Cole have you tried that big junk yard off I-12 going to baton rouge it's around Albany/Springfield area?
Not yet. Just found out my engine was fried last night. Haha
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Aurora's heart died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I don't know if I could swing 4000.. I was reading on mmr that they still use cast cranks. Eh.

Nick's heads run about $1700-2200 for stage II cams, springs, and port. That's not terrible I guess. Haha.

If I didn't have to pay rent and all my bills then I could afford it all! Haha. I could probably spread this build over two months.. Buy the engine this month and heads next month.. Then put it all back together. Eh.. This sucks.
Stock crank is good for up to 650 hp. If you go with the 500 package the stock crank will still be one of the strongest pieces in it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson

Stock crank is good for up to 650 hp. If you go with the 500 package the stock crank will still be one of the strongest pieces in it
I'm going to have to look into this then. $2k for a forged shortblock isn't terrible. I see where if you send your block in you can pay $300 and it gives you a 18month warranty and it covers shipping to mmr and back to you! So that means $1600+$300. So $1900 total with that warranty? Not bad at all. Then save up for the heads.. And I'll be all set!
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cajunick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 85
Re: Aurora's heart died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I'm going to have to look into this then. $2k for a forged shortblock isn't terrible. I see where if you send your block in you can pay $300 and it gives you a 18month warranty and it covers shipping to mmr and back to you! So that means $1600+$300. So $1900 total with that warranty? Not bad at all. Then save up for the heads.. And I'll be all set!
Your inbox is full fyi. Questions.. Nicks heads you have a link for this? And where are you finding the prices for a forged short block?
Cajunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

I'm going to have to look into this then. $2k for a forged shortblock isn't terrible. I see where if you send your block in you can pay $300 and it gives you a 18month warranty and it covers shipping to mmr and back to you! So that means $1600+$300. So $1900 total with that warranty? Not bad at all. Then save up for the heads.. And I'll be all set!
That is a good deal. Don't remember but did it wreck the heads to. That was prob a dumb question.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunick

Your inbox is full fyi. Questions.. Nicks heads you have a link for this? And where are you finding the prices for a forged short block?
I emptied my inbox.

Forged shortblock prices are on MMR.com.
Read up a few posts to Cody Nelson's post. Modularheadshop.com.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
FORDGT14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise
Region: Arizona
Posts: 614
Re: Aurora's heart died.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss bro..I went through the same thing a few months ago.

I rebuilt mine for just over $3k. I replaced EVERYTHING! rods, pistons, all bearings, basically the entire bottom end. I had the heads rebuilt too. You could just rebuild it, learn a few things in the process, and have a brand new engine for just $3k. It would be better than spending $2500 on a used junk yard engine and not knowing anything about it. I would rebuild it and maybe gets cams, ported heads, and forge it if you have the extra money. I hope this helps man, if you have any questions about anything on my engine, I'll be glad to help.


Here are some pics of my build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old engine with heads off.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	48904   Click image for larger version

Name:	new timing chain on.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	48905  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new pistons.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	48906   Click image for larger version

Name:	new engine with heads on.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	48907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new engine with new paint.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	48908   Click image for larger version

Name:	new engine upside down.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	48909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new engine almost done.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	48910   Click image for larger version

Name:	ready for the install.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	48911  

Click image for larger version

Name:	droping the new engine in.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	48912   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2669.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	771.5 KB
ID:	48913  

FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Little update. Have to go back to work in a different city so I'm done messin with it for now. Next on list is take off the heads and inspect where the damage is. If its the heads then I'm just gonna rebuild them and go forged internals and steel valves.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
02PONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 886
If u were closer I'd hook you up with the block
__________________
02PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY
If u were closer I'd hook you up with the block
Where are you located?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Where are you located?
He in Indiana...but where I don't know..
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Rough. I guess ill just keep my search going.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ware12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
Sorry to hear about you're baby that sucks, you can also try emmet head performance they are a site sponsor , there in Georgia , and they may give you a deal for being on the forum
Word of advice try to stay away from emmets I know way to many people that have screwed over
Ware12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware12

Word of advice try to stay away from emmets I know way to many people that have screwed over
Thanks for the advice. I'm already set on giving my patronage to Nick from Modularheadshop.com if I need to purchase heads.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
02PONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 886
I'm in Indiana in between Indy and Chicago I'll be going down to Angola LA first week of June if you haven't got it fixed by then I'll see if can use my brother laws truck and I'll bring it with me
__________________
02PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY
I'm in Indiana in between Indy and Chicago I'll be going down to Angola LA first week of June if you haven't got it fixed by then I'll see if can use my brother laws truck and I'll bring it with me
Is it just a straight block? No crank/rods/pistons?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
02PONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 886
No complete block
Sent u pm on info

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Any damage to your block?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Good god just seen your second post. U spraying or did u over rev
__________________
02PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware12

Word of advice try to stay away from emmets I know way to many people that have screwed over
Thanks for the tip ! I've only used them looking for used parts, I've never had any work done by them.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ware12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

Thanks for the tip ! I've only used them looking for used parts, I've never had any work done by them.
No problem. I live here in Warner robins and just know how they have done friends of mine
Ware12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY
No complete block
Sent u pm on info

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Any damage to your block?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Good god just seen your second post. U spraying or did u over rev
My car was a bit lean and was over revved for a few seconds and it didn't end well. That's all. Haha.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

My car was a bit lean and was over revved for a few seconds and it didn't end well. That's all. Haha.
Who wrote your tune bud, I don't wanna be in the same boat.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Who wrote your tune bud, I don't wanna be in the same boat.
Bama did. It wasn't their total fault though because I knew it was a bit lean but ran it anyway. Mostly my fault, I'd say.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
This is obviously biased, but why not go with a 97-98 Mark VIII motor? Its 4v, Romeo, COP, runs on the factory tune(you have to tune it to make good power..), and all you really need to do is delete EGR, knock sensors, and jimmy around with the heater hoses i'm pretty sure. A lot of Marks blow their trannys so you should be able to find a dead one with a good motor cheap. That way you have all your accesory parts ready should you hit a snag.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
This is obviously biased, but why not go with a 97-98 Mark VIII motor? Its 4v, Romeo, COP, runs on the factory tune(you have to tune it to make good power..), and all you really need to do is delete EGR, knock sensors, and jimmy around with the heater hoses i'm pretty sure. A lot of Marks blow their trannys so you should be able to find a dead one with a good motor cheap. That way you have all your accesory parts ready should you hit a snag.
Uses the factory 4.6 wiring harness?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

Uses the factory 4.6 wiring harness?
Yeah, everything bolts right up. Its basically a Cobra motor. Like I said you have to delete some stuff, but its a relatively easy swap.. I have done my research on them. You can plug and bolt everything up, and they fire up on the stock GT tune even.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

Yeah, everything bolts right up. Its basically a Cobra motor. Like I said you have to delete some stuff, but its a relatively easy swap.. I have done my research on them. You can plug and bolt everything up, and they fire up on the stock GT tune even.
Same size even? Don't need a new tranny or driveshaft?

Sorry for being overly inquisitive. Just weighing my options heavily.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Re: Aurora's heart died.

Alright, I've been at the point where the engine is taken apart enough to where I'm comfortable with taking it out of the car safely. What is the best way to go about getting it out? Should I use an engine(cherry picker) crane and pull it out the top, or is it easier to remove the bottom pieces and drop it out underneath? Suggestions or tips? Or even things to look out for before I pull it?
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
kelidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 62
I would pull it out the top just go slow and have a friend as a second set off eyes . I would remove the hood a well
kelidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:58 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.