Aurora's heart died. - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #211
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
I feel that I'm pretty sold on the teskid idea if everything swaps over completely!!

And we made progress! Taken all the waves out of the body as well as fixing the damage it had. The front was messed up. It had so many rock chips!! Also fixed the rear bumper damage but no pics of that. :3
Just wondering, but who is the paint artist here working on your car? If it is yourself, how did you learn? Everything looks great so far and good luck! I'm following you till the end of this thread!
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict

Just wondering, but who is the paint artist here working on your car? If it is yourself, how did you learn? Everything looks great so far and good luck! I'm following you till the end of this thread!
Thanks for asking! I'm actually learning as we go. My father has been in the paint and body game for a very long time. He is very skilled in almost every aspect of the job. So he's showing me how to do things and we're both working on it. We both have full time jobs and I work and live over an hour away so it's slow work but it won't take much more! We just have to go over again in 600 grit then 800 grit. which I'll be working on over the next 18hours straight. Haha.

I also took my tires off and stripped the plasti-dip off of them and cleaned the inside really well. Gonna use actual paint on them I think, since we're going to have everything out and used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-785197498.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	56365   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2660547677.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	56366  

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #213
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for asking! I'm actually learning as we go. My father has been in the paint and body game for a very long time. He is very skilled in almost every aspect of the job. So he's showing me how to do things and we're both working on it. We both have full time jobs and I work and live over an hour away so it's slow work but it won't take much more! We just have to go over again in 600 grit then 800 grit. which I'll be working on over the next 18hours straight. Haha.

I also took my tires off and stripped the plasti-dip off of them and cleaned the inside really well. Gonna use actual paint on them I think, since we're going to have everything out and used.
That is awesome man! My dad used to paint but now he just says to pay someone which I don't want to do. If I want it painted then I'm going to do it is my attitude. My mom's boyfriend just purchased supplies to paint and is painting his Acura tl so were learning from that. Hopefully I get a nice gt (selling my v6 ATM) and when it blows I can build like you are.

Can't wait to see any and all the pics on the way man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #214
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Aurora's heart died.

Cole, I saw an ad from MPS a few days back for a Terminator engine and drivetrain.
I don't remember the price, but it would make an awesome swap for your car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #215
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict

That is awesome man! My dad used to paint but now he just says to pay someone which I don't want to do. If I want it painted then I'm going to do it is my attitude. My mom's boyfriend just purchased supplies to paint and is painting his Acura tl so were learning from that. Hopefully I get a nice gt (selling my v6 ATM) and when it blows I can build like you are.

Can't wait to see any and all the pics on the way man!
It's a pretty rewarding experience so far and I have spent maybe $30 so far and we have done over $1500 in labor to the car, my dad estimates. And that's just the bodywork, prep, and sand. I'm not sure how much labor we did in pulling the engine and tranny and breaking that down to the block. Haha.

I just finished taking off most of the troublesome weatherstripping as well as using a skotchbrite pad to get under the rest! And sanded the door jams as well as the area the headlights sit in. It's looking very good so far.

We did find out that the car was previously wrecked in the driver quarter-panel as well as the driver door because they were both dark blue factory coat when we sanded down some of the edges.. It's amazing the things you find out from experience that the Carfax doesn't list. Haha. Oh; and the car had been painted(poorly) three times already. This is so sad. :/ my baby has a lot of scars.

Already got the roof to a final 400 grit sand and ready to start the rest of the process.

Gonna look over the rest of the car to find rogue clearcoat and orange peel then continue! Hoping to have the 800 grit final sanding done in the next 20 hours. My hands are already getting sore though. Hah

Anywho! This is what I've done in the last hour! Check out the tight weather stripping on the roof! I got it completely clean and smooth underneath. I'm rather pleased with my progress. Haha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2086959433.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	56369   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3474212348.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	56370  

Name:	image-1473978219.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	56371   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-32527486.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	56372  

Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #216
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Cole, I saw an ad from MPS a few days back for a Terminator engine and drivetrain.
I don't remember the price, but it would make an awesome swap for your car.
I don't have $6k to drop at the moment. :/ only reason this build will work is because I'm buying piece by piece as I'm prepping the car for paint. If you find out the price be sure to let me know, though! I might take out a loan if it's right..

Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #217
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I don't have $6k to drop at the moment. :/ only reason this build will work is because I'm buying piece by piece as I'm prepping the car for paint. If you find out the price be sure to let me know, though! I might take out a loan if it's right..
The one I was talking about is gone already.

They have this one with only 13,648 miles on it though.
You have to call for pricing - 2003 Cobra
Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #218
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The one I was talking about is gone already.

They have this one with only 13,648 miles on it though.
You have to call for pricing - 2003 Cobra
Can't hurt to call in the morning I guess!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #219
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Can't hurt to call in the morning I guess!
Nope, I hope it works out for you. Then you'd have a base to make some serious HP if you wanted it.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #220
Registered Member
Regular

Stripped the plasti-dip! Think I should keep the rims this way?

Ignore the 4X4 stance. :/ it's just the engine being out that lifted it 3-4". Haha

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 AM ----------

Quote:

Nope, I hope it works out for you. Then you'd have a base to make some serious HP if you wanted it.
I wonder if MRP could do a finance thing so I could make payments.. I could deal with payments of a few hundred a month. :3

Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #221
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I wonder if MRP could do a finance thing so I could make payments.. I could deal with payments of a few hundred a month. :3
It sure won't hurt to ask them.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #222
Registered Member
Regular

****! My tranny just dropped off it's stand and fell half a foot and this piece is off. What is this and does this broken piece have anything to do with it? (we have a bunch of random broken stuff around)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2951098736.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	56375  

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just to clear one thing up, the teskid block can hold up to 1200 hp before any kind of reinforcement is needed. Cobra's have a forged crank different intake and some say the intake cams or exhaust cams are different. The swap itself is a breeze. Use your motor mouts and oil pan. Get a pick up tube for a cobra cause the mark 8 and cobra is bigger. Everything else is plug and play. Oh and use a 96+ cobra or 97-98 mark 8 intake. Your gt ecu will run the engine use your injectors also. The tps plug and iac plug will have to be extended to reach the locations on the mark 8. Make sure you get a set of cobra exhaust manifolds or headers. The mark 8 exhaust manifolds will not work. And if anybody tells you the rear mount throttle body intake will work is lying. No matter what you do it will not clear the firewall. Then for the fuel lines you can use fuel injector hose with clamps but make sure you double up on them.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #224
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

But the your back to using the same ol' cast block. For 7K I could build you a mark motor stroked. top it with 2v cams, plenum, and an on3 turbo kit.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
Just to clear one thing up, the teskid block can hold up to 1200 hp before any kind of reinforcement is needed. Cobra's have a forged crank different intake and some say the intake cams or exhaust cams are different. The swap itself is a breeze. Use your motor mouts and oil pan. Get a pick up tube for a cobra cause the mark 8 and cobra is bigger. Everything else is plug and play. Oh and use a 96+ cobra or 97-98 mark 8 intake. Your gt ecu will run the engine use your injectors also. The tps plug and iac plug will have to be extended to reach the locations on the mark 8. Make sure you get a set of cobra exhaust manifolds or headers. The mark 8 exhaust manifolds will not work. And if anybody tells you the rear mount throttle body intake will work is lying. No matter what you do it will not clear the firewall. Then for the fuel lines you can use fuel injector hose with clamps but make sure you double up on them.
You should read a few posts up. Also the fuel rail is not that difficult and you don't have to cobble so much.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #226
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry did a quick glance. But that was a quick way to get it going til you can buy what you need to make it right.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #227
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

But the your back to using the same ol' cast block. For 7K I could build you a mark motor stroked. top it with 2v cams, plenum, and an on3 turbo kit.
What about for $4k?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #228
Registered Member
Regular

7k is a damn good deal!!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #229
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
7k is a damn good deal!!
7-8k isn't bad for a complete motor at all. You have to know where to source the parts
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #230
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

7-8k isn't bad for a complete motor at all. You have to know where to source the parts
No it's not. Been doing mechanics and engine repair for 20 yrs now.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #231
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to be doing a detailed swap instruction pretty soon. So I'll keep you guys informed
Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #232
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I'm going to be doing a detailed swap instruction pretty soon. So I'll keep you guys informed
Right on!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #233
Registered Member
Regular

I'll do a section for 2v heads on aluminum block as well.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

hey I found this video of a mark for you guys

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0nl_R5GsqbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trying to figure how to put videos on here

Do it like this. TH -
Copy and paste the video title, then copy the link in the address bar of the video webpage, click on the link icon at the top of the reply box (Globe with a chain), then paste the webpage link in the box that pops up.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Hey I know this is off topic but does anyone here like RC trucks? I'm trying to get a scanner (Xcal 2 or 3) I have one to trade or sell.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #234
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post
I bow to your superior knowledge.
I'll admit I know very little about the mod motors.

I suggested the 03-04 Cobra engine because I have seen the stock Cobra engine pushed up to and maybe over 1000 HP with little more than blower, injector, fuel system and tune changes. I'll leave the engine specs and choosing up to you guys, because like I said I know very little about them.

IF, it were my car, I would go with what I know and stuff a bored and stroked 351W with twin turbos under the hood and call it good.

See Nelson Racing Engines for some hideously expensive but insane HP mirrored twin turbo engines. Note: Be prepared to mop up the drool.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #235
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I'll do a section for 2v heads on aluminum block as well.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

hey I found this video of a mark for you guys

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0nl_R5GsqbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trying to figure how to put videos on here

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Hey I know this is off topic but does anyone here like RC trucks? I'm trying to get a scanner (Xcal 2 or 3) I have one to trade or sell.
Ok, not a fan of the cars themselves but very impressive!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #236
Registered Member
Regular

Making good progress with the sanding. Applied for a small loan today and should get word today or tomorrow if it's approved. If it is them full steam ahead!!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #237
Registered Member
Regular

Been working on it off and on all night and I think the hood and both fenders are ready for paint now that I finished the third stage of sanding on them! Gonna have my dad give it a look in the morning to check the quality of my work. I'm relatively nervous. And a big shout-out to Monster Energy! This stuff is a godsend as well as a curse. Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1502868400.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	56517   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1430700999.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	56518  

Name:	image-1798092297.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	56519   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2957468233.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	56520  

Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #238
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I bow to your superior knowledge.
I'll admit I know very little about the mod motors.

I suggested the 03-04 Cobra engine because I have seen the stock Cobra engine pushed up to and maybe over 1000 HP with little more than blower, injector, fuel system and tune changes. I'll leave the engine specs and choosing up to you guys, because like I said I know very little about them.

IF, it were my car, I would go with what I know and stuff a bored and stroked 351W with twin turbos under the hood and call it good.

See Nelson Racing Engines for some hideously expensive but insane HP mirrored twin turbo engines. Note: Be prepared to mop up the drool.
Mod motors respond just as well to the old rules of hot rodding as the old engines did. Only difference is we can hook a scanner to our cars and it tells us what's going on.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

And just forthe record. 351W is a damn good old school engine to build
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #239
Registered Member
Regular

There was the 99 Saleen 351.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

Been looking at long blocks. Think I should just get a built forged long block with cams already in it new and put all my stuff on it? I'm finding them for like $4k

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #241
Registered Member
Regular

Dad finishing the front bumper! I finished the rest of the car and we're pretty much set to shoot the black base coat to check for further imperfections in the body like waves as such.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2329562223.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	56552  

Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #242
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Awesome! Your pops is cool
Old 06-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #243
Registered Member
Regular

Now for the tape-off face-off!! My dad's tape job versus my tape job! First picture is his, second is mine. Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3581863581.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	56571   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4148024513.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	56572  

Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #244
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now for the tape-off face-off!! My dad's tape job versus my tape job! First picture is his, second is mine. Haha
Well he definately used less tape... but they both look good!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #245
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt View Post
Mod motors respond just as well to the old rules of hot rodding as the old engines did. Only difference is we can hook a scanner to our cars and it tells us what's going on.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

And just forthe record. 351W is a damn good old school engine to build
Yeah, I know they can, I just don't know all of the intricate details as to which block is best, which heads are best, which rotating assemblies are best, etc., etc..

Yes, the newer cars/engines do have much better computer/scanner capabilities.
I see no reason that those capabilities could not be extended to any older vehicle.
After all its just a computer and the wiring that makes the difference.

P.S. I will be using the AFM PMS piggyback tuner on my 86 GT. Using their software I can hook up a laptop and have a "dashboard" display of everything that's going on with my old school engine and have instant tuning capabilities right there at my fingertips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT