Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Headers

What are some good long tube headers out there? Pacesetters? BBK?
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you got the cash I hear that kooks or hooker are the best. If on a budget, then bbk or Mac are good, can't say much about pacesetter just cuz I don't know anyone who has them. And I've heard lots of horror stories about pypes. Personally I'm going with bbk's LTs and catted shorty h pipe.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a big difference in performance gain?
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar
If you got the cash I hear that kooks or hooker are the best. If on a budget, then bbk or Mac are good, can't say much about pacesetter just cuz I don't know anyone who has them. And I've heard lots of horror stories about pypes. Personally I'm going with bbk's LTs and catted shorty h pipe.
Do the longtubes and midpipe have to be the same brand? I want to get LT too but what's holding me back is a shop tht will install them near by
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have bbk lt's they fit great just wish I got the stainless one instead of ceramic, if you get the mid pipe I would try to keep it the same brand just so there is no fitment issues
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple750
Is there a big difference in performance gain?
Over stock yes, a set of long tubes with an aftermarket mid pipe will net around a 20 rwhp gain with a tune. But the HP difference between brands varies. But the reason kooks or hooker are better is because they are stainless steel and will not rust. So if you live in a humid climate I would recommend you spend the extra cash to protect your investment.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I should have clarified, I meant to ask if there is a difference between a more expensive set(kooks...) and a less expensive(bbk...) set of headers?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

Do the longtubes and midpipe have to be the same brand? I want to get LT too but what's holding me back is a shop tht will install them near by
In most cases no. You can mix and match most good brands such as kooks, hooker, Mac, and bbk. I've also heard good things about JBA. But you may want to call and verify before you mix any brands just to be sure they will connect together. I know pypes is one brand that has bad fitment issues..

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple750
I should have clarified, I meant to ask if there is a difference between a more expensive set(kooks...) and a less expensive(bbk...) set of headers?
As I said, the difference is in the metal they are made of.. Expensive brands are made out of stainless steel so they won't rust.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

As I said, the difference is in the metal they are made of.. Expensive brands are made out of stainless steel so they won't rust.
Oh, I read only the first few sentences. Got it.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No problem. best of luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have hooker ceramic long tubes and have never had one problem. I also like kooks and pypes brand too.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Long tubes sound better by far. I ended up with shorty's because of my investments into my exhausts after I bought my car with rotted out tail pipes etc. after I finish the drivetrain, I'll get some long tubes. Even If I had LTs I would not get the power cuz my C-heads need rebuilding. Go LTs & install a good starter. Heard you have to drop the LTs to get to them.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I know were talking different years, but my pypes fit fine.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The fitment issue that heard the most about is that they sit too high where they mate up to the mid pipe I've seen some pic where some people kinda forced them together but the top of the header is touching the metal on the underside of the car. Not sure about 05+ stangs but as for 99-04 I've heard pypes brand sucks. But can't say it's a fact as I haven't tried them for myself just what I've heard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT