Straight Pipes vs Flowmasters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Question Straight Pipes vs Flowmasters

I have flowmaster 44's on my 99 Gt right now, I'm looking to get it a little louder without spending $500 on a full exhaust. My questions are, will I loose any power getting rid of the mufflers? Will I loose back pressure? And will it sound like I have a giant exhaust leak? lol

I used to have a 2000 V6 Mustang and when I removed the mufflers, it seemed to loose some power, so I dont want to do that to my Gt.

Thanks for any input guys.
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: Straight Pipes vs Flowmasters

I don't no bout horsepower but mine don't sound that bad. Besides the popping , it don't sound bad. I have mufflers cut off and 2 of my converters are gone. The mufflers were cut by previous owner did it so can't tell u bout before and after results.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14
I have flowmaster 44's on my 99 Gt right now, I'm looking to get it a little louder without spending $500 on a full exhaust. My questions are, will I loose any power getting rid of the mufflers? Will I loose back pressure? And will it sound like I have a giant exhaust leak? lol

I used to have a 2000 V6 Mustang and when I removed the mufflers, it seemed to loose some power, so I dont want to do that to my Gt.

Thanks for any input guys.
I have Flowmaster cat back setup that doesn't really have mufflers. I think there is something in the tips or close to it. I'll take a pic this evening. This setup sounds really good. Not annoyingly load at idle, but loud when you get on it. Not really sure what the "name" of the Flowmaster product was. I haven't seen it on AM.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have flow masters with turn downs before the rear end I love the sound it's mean and deep. Was gonna throw on my off road h pipe til my engine started knocking
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Well You should be able to find an off road H or off road X pipe for around $100 if you search long enough. Max you would pay would be $200 ish for a good Off road mid pipe. This would make your flowmasters really come to life. I'd go with a prochamber personally, but they are about $300, but like I said you'll find something nice for a good price. Craigslist is a good spot to start. It will bolt right up to your stock headers and cat-back system, just make sure that you get a mid pipe intended for stock or shorty headers and it will be easy.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull
Well You should be able to find an off road H or off road X pipe for around $100 if you search long enough. Max you would pay would be $200 ish for a good Off road mid pipe. This would make your flowmasters really come to life. I'd go with a prochamber personally, but they are about $300, but like I said you'll find something nice for a good price. Craigslist is a good spot to start. It will bolt right up to your stock headers and cat-back system, just make sure that you get a mid pipe intended for stock or shorty headers and it will be easy.
I've seen the pro chamber setup, but I'm not familiar with it. What is the primary advantage with this, sound? Performance?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've seen the pro chamber setup, but I'm not familiar with it. What is the primary advantage with this, sound? Performance?
Yes Sound primarily. With the off-road pipes you may have a little less back pressure/slightly more raspy as well as compared to the prochamber, but the primary reason is sound. Youtube them on 99-04's and you might be able to see the difference.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have an O/R Prochamber with my long tubes and flow 40s. The sound is fantastic!!! If you are in the market for a mid pipe I fully recommend it
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
I have an O/R Prochamber with my long tubes and flow 40s. The sound is fantastic!!! If you are in the market for a mid pipe I fully recommend it
Is it similar to a Flowmaster sound or Basani? I'm not sure I like the Basani sound.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I LOVE the Bassani sound. But mine is no where close to that sound. Here is a link to a short video I made right after my charger went on

MVI_1995.mp4 video by xxNELSON18xx - Photobucket
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
I LOVE the Bassani sound. But mine is no where close to that sound. Here is a link to a short video I made right after my charger went on

That sounds good! Headers stock? Do you have anything after the Pro Chamber or is it ~straight?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post

Impressive HP and engine performance not to mention exhaust sound. I like it. A buddy of mine has magna flow on his (vortec SC) and it is wicked mean too...gets your heart racing when you hear it...sounds angry n mean.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

That sounds good! Headers stock? Do you have anything after the Pro Chamber or is it ~straight?
No they are Hedman long tubes, O/R prochamber and flow 40s

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

Impressive HP and engine performance not to mention exhaust sound. I like it. A buddy of mine has magna flow on his (vortec SC) and it is wicked mean too...gets your heart racing when you hear it...sounds angry n mean.
Thanks man
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Put exhaust cutouts it's worth all of it electric cutouts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT