Wont Start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Wont Start

I got a 2001 bullitt with 125,000 a couple of weeks ago. Ran fine when I bought it. Had a buddy of mine check it out and he said the engine was in awesome condition.Drove fine for a couple of weeks then the past week I would come out to start it and it wouldn't start. The first time I was able to jump it and it ran fine for a couple of days. The second time it wouldn't jump so i cleand the battery terminals and I was able to jump it and it ran fine for a couple of days. Today it wouldn't start so I tried to jump it and it wouldnt start. The first couple of times when I was able to jump it, it would click when I would turn the key then start up. Now when I turn it i get nothing. While I was trying to jump it I heard a ticking from underneath the stearing wheel. Everytime it would tick the overhead light would flicker.
Any Ideas?
Balltaatic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Check the ground on both ends. Also check the POS wire that goes to starter. Idk but that's where I'd start.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Region: Georgia
Take the battery out and have it tested if the battery is shot it won't start .....
Stevo1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Your alternator may be dead..easy fix if that's the problem an bout 100dollars which isn't to bad. Get a buddy to tow you in an auto zone for a free test
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a short in your wiring, that will create build-up around your terminals
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Wont Start

Went to Autozone and they checked the battery. The battery was fully charged. Came home put the battery back in. Went to try to turn it on and it tried and after a couple of times it turned over. Drove it around a little bit and everything was fine. Got home and turned it off. Waited a min and tried to turn it on again and the same thing from earlier happened. Any Ideas why it worked and then didnt?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balltaatic01
Went to Autozone and they checked the battery. The battery was fully charged. Came home put the battery back in. Went to try to turn it on and it tried and after a couple of times it turned over. Drove it around a little bit and everything was fine. Got home and turned it off. Waited a min and tried to turn it on again and the same thing from earlier happened. Any Ideas why it worked and then didnt?
A loose ground will do that.

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Also a pinched wire. Have u installed a new radio,or anything else electrical? Shorts rarely happen, but when they do ther a PITA to track down.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It's most likely the battery. Mine did tht and I got a new battery and it worked fine after that
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just a tip, check and make sure that starter is grounded out correctly, as far as the nuts on the wires and that the wires arent broken. Reason I say this, because of the ends on the ground wire to the started broke off and when I would park it back ways up the drive way it would connect, then when I drove it around it would blow the wire around not making a good connection. Not saying that is it, but it happen to me. Also, autozone may check a battery and it says good, but that doesnt mean it really is good...I know I worked there and saw it all the time esp with their batteries.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Turned out that there was a lot more corrosion underneath the unexposed battery cable. Cleaned it up, tightened everything and it fired up fine. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balltaatic01 View Post
Turned out that there was a lot more corrosion underneath the unexposed battery cable. Cleaned it up, tightened everything and it fired up fine. Thanks for all the replies.
That's good, sometimes it is always something simple that you over look glad you got it running.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT