Interior paint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Cool Interior paint?

Ok, I've been thinking about painting my interior black like I had in my old Mustang. But my biggest question is, can you paint leather seats? lol I know it sounds stupid but I saw "leather paint" at Autozone the other day and it made me curious. My initial plan was to find a junk yard Mustang with black seats and put them in mine to match the black interior, but if I can just paint my leather seats black along with everything else, then I'd rather do that because it would be ALOT cheaper.

My other question is, How in the hell do I paint the dash and everything? Does it come apart so I can paint it? Or do I just have to tape off the windshield and hope for the best? lol

And what paint should I use if I do this?

Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2672.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	50274  
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Interior paint?

I wouldnt paint, dye, etc. any interior upholstery. You can look on ebay, junkyards, google... for new seats that come in the color you want. You can probably even find new upholstery without the seat and then just strip your seats and install the new upholstery. When you dye carpet or leather it never really comes out right. You will still be able to see the old color through it, unless you plan on bleaching it first, but even then it wont look right.

I know this from a project my buddy tried to do. He tried to retrofit seats from another model in his car and then dye the seats. Never looked right.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson
robvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
cjponeyparts.com has upholstery for our cars.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
cjponeyparts.com has upholstery for our cars.
Ya but how do u go about getting it out on? Latemodelrestoration does as well but I'm not sure how to do it
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang

Ya but how do u go about getting it out on? Latemodelrestoration does as well but I'm not sure how to do it
If youre talking about replacing the leather on your exiating seats its easy. Take the seat out of the car. There are long retaining clips underneath your seat you unhook, Then basically its just slowly taking off the existing leather. Its not hard at all. Ive done it a few timea for myself and friends and also have installed heated seats this way too.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvandam

If youre talking about replacing the leather on your exiating seats its easy. Take the seat out of the car. There are long retaining clips underneath your seat you unhook, Then basically its just slowly taking off the existing leather. Its not hard at all. Ive done it a few timea for myself and friends and also have installed heated seats this way too.
So all the sites that sell the replacements they change and fit the same?
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It should say whether or not its oem replacement. Also whether or not it slips over the existing. Ive never used either of those sites. Ive always bought from a junk yard or off a person who was parting out a vehicle.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's not own replacement. I know cuz I work there. I would not paint it. I did it with one of my old cars "not a mustang" and it looked nice at first. But with time the paint starts to deteriorate and it does not look good.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I meant oem
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

TMI products. This is what I am doing. Going with bullitt seat foam and the new parchment interior package since I like my interior, but if your looking to just reupholster your GT's seats then you don't need the foam just the upholstery, however I do not think the GT seats are that comfortable so I'd upgrade to new seat foams (cobra, mach, or bullitt's with more side bolstering IMO. Here is the link

http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/new-products.html

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull
TMI products. This is what I am doing. Going with bullitt seat foam and the new parchment interior package since I like my interior, but if your looking to just reupholster your GT's seats then you don't need the foam just the upholstery, however I do not think the GT seats are that comfortable so I'd upgrade to new seat foams (cobra, mach, or bullitt's with more side bolstering IMO. Here is the link

http://www.tmiproducts.com/mustang/new-products.html
So ur link is the $800 for full seats or just the leather?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang View Post
So ur link is the $800 for full seats or just the leather?
Yea for the bullitt seats. but if you navigate their website or CJ pony
Parts the upholstery is only $350 but without the seat Foams you Can upgrade your seats, however you can upgrade the upholstery Without the foams, but over time your stock foams loose their shape and support

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull

Yea for the bullitt seats. but if you navigate their website or CJ pony
Parts the upholstery is only $350 but without the seat Foams you Can upgrade your seats, however you can upgrade the upholstery Without the foams, but over time your stock foams loose their shape and support
so its the whole seats then in that package? i've always loved the bullitt interior and im sick of my seats on my v6. i was planning on buying some used leather seats to replace mine but if this is the complete seat id much rather save up for this .

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

NO it is not a compete seat: It is the foam and it is the upholstery. You use your stock seat rails. Read it.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
is there a site that sells complete leather seats then ? from a gt or something . besides craigslist or checking junkyards

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Use a search man. Google, ebay, dealership, etc. Theyre out there. Junyards are prob gonna be the cheapest route.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT