Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post

Sounds like a good deal, im changing my trans fluid in mine every 10K miles. I hope just driving it will help with the noise.
Many of the guys on mach1registry.org put that Lucas Transmission Fix in there TR3650's and swear by it. I know the T45's are different, but you never know. I don't know much about those trannys. I know the TR3650's are finicky about what fluid you put in them. Turns out the synchros in them don't like synthetic fluids.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Many of the guys on mach1registry.org put that Lucas Transmission Fix in there TR3650's and swear by it. I know the T45's are different, but you never know. I don't know much about those trannys. I know the TR3650's are finicky about what fluid you put in them. Turns out the synchros in them don't like synthetic fluids.
Oh I swear by that stuff too man, I used it all the time. I asked Ford what fluid goes in my t-45 and its the same fluid that goes in my automatic. Im going to change it and see what it does...
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ughhh I have the same problem but mine only occurs at about 3 k rpm when cold, bought the car with 103 k in it, 02 gt tr3650, brought it to mechanic and he said he couldn't replicate the noise and says all seems in very good condition, says the trans appears to be new and replaced, noise Realllly freaks me out, shifting is a bit notches, ESPECIALLY shifting into second when cold...any ideas what I should do ? Could simply changing trans fluid fix the problem ? Idk if I should bring it to ford,never brought a vehicle there before and don't wanna be charged out the wazoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Ughhh I have the same problem but mine only occurs at about 3 k rpm when cold, bought the car with 103 k in it, 02 gt tr3650, brought it to mechanic and he said he couldn't replicate the noise and says all seems in very good condition, says the trans appears to be new and replaced, noise Realllly freaks me out, shifting is a bit notches, ESPECIALLY shifting into second when cold...any ideas what I should do ? Could simply changing trans fluid fix the problem ? Idk if I should bring it to ford,never brought a vehicle there before and don't wanna be charged out the wazoo
That's the problem I had, nobody seemed to be able to replicate the noise. The tech at my Ford dealer was their "trannt guru" and he was able to hear it. Bad thing for you is if they can't hear it, the only other way to determine the prob is to drop the tranny and have a look.

Does it get louder or last longer when the temperatures are colder outside? If so, maybe you could take it to someone this fall when the temps are colder. I was originally planning to do this, but my clutch/throwout bearing probs got me to take it in sooner.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

That's the problem I had, nobody seemed to be able to replicate the noise. The tech at my Ford dealer was their "trannt guru" and he was able to hear it. Bad thing for you is if they can't hear it, the only other way to determine the prob is to drop the tranny and have a look.

Does it get louder or last longer when the temperatures are colder outside? If so, maybe you could take it to someone this fall when the temps are colder. I was originally planning to do this, but my clutch/throwout bearing probs got me to take it in sooner.
I bought the car is beginning of summer so haven't had the chance to see if it's louder in the colder weather, only problem with waiting is I don't want it to really be causing a major problem, it goes completely away when the car is up to temp, but idk if its still there and I just no longer hear it when it's warm...ughhh will ford charge me if I call and set up an appointment just to have them look at it ? I live about 5 miles from a ford dealership so hopefully I'd be able to get it there before it hits operating temp
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

I bought the car is beginning of summer so haven't had the chance to see if it's louder in the colder weather, only problem with waiting is I don't want it to really be causing a major problem, it goes completely away when the car is up to temp, but idk if its still there and I just no longer hear it when it's warm...ughhh will ford charge me if I call and set up an appointment just to have them look at it ? I live about 5 miles from a ford dealership so hopefully I'd be able to get it there before it hits operating temp
I'm guessing they have some sort of standard "take a look" fee. Then more if they had to drop the tranny and look. I have a service plan that I bought with mine. That's probably why I would not get charged until they opened it up.

I had them keep it over night so it would be as cold as possible. I told them exactly how to recreate the noise so they could drive it in the morning and hear it. It might be worth it to at least let them drive it one morning.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I'm guessing they have some sort of standard "take a look" fee. Then more if they had to drop the tranny and look. I have a service plan that I bought with mine. That's probably why I would not get charged until they opened it up.

I had them keep it over night so it would be as cold as possible. I told them exactly how to recreate the noise so they could drive it in the morning and hear it. It might be worth it to at least let them drive it one morning.
Most dealerships have a DIA fee if its not warranty. If you go in there and have them look at it and you get hit up for the DIA fee expect to pay at least 100bucks at least that the going rate around here
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Most dealerships have a DIA fee if its not warranty. If you go in there and have them look at it and you get hit up for the DIA fee expect to pay at least 100bucks at least that the going rate around here
Will I still be charged if they can't find the problem ?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

Will I still be charged if they can't find the problem ?
Yes

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Still have this metallic noise! It was ~48 degF last night and the metal on metal noise was prominent. I'm sporting my new TR-3650, so I guess the noise wasn't from the tranny.

I got a good video of the sound this time. You can really here it near the end of the video.

What bearing, or whatever could be making this noise in the engine?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #46
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I think what you are hearing is just some transmission bearing noise caused by cold lubricant. If you have an aftermarket shifter, sometimes the noise is louder because most of them use metal bushings where the factory shifters use rubber.

It could also be caused by the TOB resting on the pressure plate fingers. Make sure your clutch is adjusted to prevent that, as it can cause the TOB to wear out prematurely.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #47
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I think what you are hearing is just some transmission bearing noise caused by cold lubricant. If you have an aftermarket shifter, sometimes the noise is louder because most of them use metal bushings where the factory shifters use rubber.

It could also be caused by the TOB resting on the pressure plate fingers. Make sure your clutch is adjusted to prevent that, as it can cause the TOB to wear out prematurely.
Thanks for checking out the sound. I appreciate the help!

Here is some more info that may just support your thought. The noise will go away immediately when I put the clutch in, but only if you engage the clutch all the way (pedal to the floor). And, I'm pretty sure the TOB is resting on the pressure plate. When I first startup the car, in the garage, i can hear it spinning slightly. The slight spinning sound goes away when you engage the clutch. I have a FR TOB & pilot bearing.

I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight so they can adjust my clutch as part of their service work last week. I will be sure to mention that I would like the clutch cable adjusted so the TOB is off the pressure plate.

Thanks again TH!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Thanks for checking out the sound. I appreciate the help!

Here is some more info that may just support your thought. The noise will go away immediately when I put the clutch in, but only if you engage the clutch all the way (pedal to the floor). And, I'm pretty sure the TOB is resting on the pressure plate. When I first startup the car, in the garage, i can hear it spinning slightly. The slight spinning sound goes away when you engage the clutch. I have a FR TOB & pilot bearing.

I am dropping it off at the dealer tonight so they can adjust my clutch as part of their service work last week. I will be sure to mention that I would like the clutch cable adjusted so the TOB is off the pressure plate.

Thanks again TH!
You're welcome.
In some cases it may require this mod - Clutch Freeplay Mod - to keep the TOB off the pressure plate fingers.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT