Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help

Okay, I've recorded some video for sound so you can hear this metallic noise. The noise is kinda faint in the vid, so pay attention at 2000RPM. You can hear come then go as you move to higher RPM. The noise only happens when your are in gear driving and will happen in any gear. The noise only seems to happen around 200RPM and will go away after 2 to 4 minutes. Seems like a metallic noise would be bad to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I've checked for loose heat shields around the cats - good and tight. No loose bolts on exhaust. Should I go ahead and have it looked at?

Metallic Noise around 2000RPM - YouTube
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Does it sound like its coming from the engine or tranny?? I'd take it to have it looked at....I'm lucky enough to have a mech that will look at and diagnose my issues with little to no charge..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT
Does it sound like its coming from the engine or tranny?? I'd take it to have it looked at....I'm lucky enough to have a mech that will look at and diagnose my issues with little to no charge..
Man is just so hard to tell. I know it doesn't do it when you sit in neutral and rev it to the 2000 range. The clutch isn't slipping. Can it make that kinda noise engaged?
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Man is just so hard to tell. I know it doesn't do it when you sit in neutral and rev it to the 2000 range. The clutch isn't slipping. Can it make that kinda noise engaged?
Sounds like its in the trany...as much as I know you hate to hear that..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Sounds like its in the trany...as much as I know you hate to hear that..
I'll see if I can get a recording with the windows down tomorrow morning. Maybe it will be more definitive. It hasn't really gotten worse, but it's scaring me.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

I'll see if I can get a recording with the windows down tomorrow morning. Maybe it will be more definitive. It hasn't really gotten worse, but it's scaring me.
How much vibration do you get at 2K? It could be triggering a loose component. I get vibrations from my exhaust at certain RPMs that rattle some things inside the car. Yours sounds like a bird chirp (no pun intended).

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote:

When I bough my Stang the through bearing made the same sound only more. Pull the cover by the cable adjuster on the tranny. If a bearing falls out, service immediately.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

How much vibration do you get at 2K? It could be triggering a loose component. I get vibrations from my exhaust at certain RPMs that rattle some things inside the car. Yours sounds like a bird chirp (no pun intended).

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

When I bough my Stang the through bearing made the same sound only more. Pull the cover by the cable adjuster on the tranny. If a bearing falls out, service immediately.
Mine had no bearings left only the sleeve.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Mine had no bearings left only the sleeve.
The only time I ever feel any vibrations is if I put the clutch in right at the RPM it makes noise. You can kinda feel it in your foot, just briefly. I tried to get some sound with the windows down but it didn't turn even as good as with the windows up.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help

Hey, when you get a chance get underneath there and look at your flywheel and see if a weight or something that might make the flywheel out of balance causing that noise and vibrations. Check for cracks, or anything like that in the flywheel...not saying its that just giving you something to check. Also, as headers been installed on this car? Bang on the mufflers and see if a baffle hasnt come loose, this might be the cause of the noise but not vibration though. I have a automatic, and when the car is still cold, the fluid hasn't completely filled the TQ converter causing a slight vibration at first, according to the trans shop. Not saying its any of this, but some areas to look. If you have a coleman taylor trans shop near by, take it to them they will check it for free well mind does at least
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Hey, when you get a chance get underneath there and look at your flywheel and see if a weight or something that might make the flywheel out of balance causing that noise and vibrations. Check for cracks, or anything like that in the flywheel...not saying its that just giving you something to check. Also, as headers been installed on this car? Bang on the mufflers and see if a baffle hasnt come loose, this might be the cause of the noise but not vibration though. I have a automatic, and when the car is still cold, the fluid hasn't completely filled the TQ converter causing a slight vibration at first, according to the trans shop. Not saying its any of this, but some areas to look. If you have a coleman taylor trans shop near by, take it to them they will check it for free well mind does at least
I'm interested to find out.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Can this be done and still leave the tranny in place? Is there a housing or cover I can remove to inspect the flywheel, etc? I've checked the exhaust and shields around the cats and the seem solid. I basically looked around and didn't see anything that looked like it was rubbing on something. If I can't inspect the flywheel and clutch while it in place, I'll prolly need to have it looked at by a pro.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:

I'm interested to find out.
I'll definitely report back with what's going on and what was needed to fix the problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

um there should be a rubber grommet on the bottom of the bell housing so where when you remove it you can see the flywheel and such. If you dont see anything as far as a place to inspect the flywheel you can always take the start off and look that way. Im not saying this is it but im just giving you some things to look for when you have noises like this that isnt always obvious. what I would do is take to a pro and see what they find out because it might be a know problem and the can tell you right off the bat, of coarse if it is free to just look at. When it comes to noises like this it can be a PAIN to find trust me I worked in a shop for years and when it came to noises like this I either told them to drive it until something breaks or I always lost money on searching for it. I woud take it to a tranny shop like colemany taylor or such that doesnt charge to look at it.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Noises like that would driver me nuts and really frustrate me. If you can mabye pull the center console out to include the piece at the shifter (if yours is anything like a 94-98 GT) and drive with it off to allow you to hopefully isolate or eliminate the tranny as being the curerit. Still, I feel that your through-out bearing is the culprit. When it was re-installed, someone forgot to lubricate the input shaft with the right type of grease. Now the shaft is dry and the through-out bearing is sliding on a semi dry shaft. This is why I feel you should pull the access cover on your tranny. Have someone activate the clutch. Is your clutch very stiff?

I have seen many posts where a mech will swear on the fault and the problem persists. I always try to locate the problem and fix it myself, but that's me. I aint no pro, but I am a decent mechanic, I just know my car from working and researching on it.

Almost forgot, if possible find a shop that has a drive on lift with dual hydraulic jacks to raise all wheels off the ground and account for wheel spin vibrations. This will allow you or the mechanic to operate the engine and tranny to full rpm ranges while someone underneath isolates the trouble point. This is risky and may not be allowed. The drive on's are better than 4 point for this project but then that's if you can get on them, I can't. Too low.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Noises like that would driver me nuts and really frustrate me. If you can mabye pull the center console out to include the piece at the shifter (if yours is anything like a 94-98 GT) and drive with it off to allow you to hopefully isolate or eliminate the tranny as being the curerit. Still, I feel that your through-out bearing is the culprit. When it was re-installed, someone forgot to lubricate the input shaft with the right type of grease. Now the shaft is dry and the through-out bearing is sliding on a semi dry shaft. This is why I feel you should pull the access cover on your tranny. Have someone activate the clutch. Is your clutch very stiff?

I have seen many posts where a mech will swear on the fault and the problem persists. I always try to locate the problem and fix it myself, but that's me. I aint no pro, but I am a decent mechanic, I just know my car from working and researching on it.

Almost forgot, if possible find a shop that has a drive on lift with dual hydraulic jacks to raise all wheels off the ground and account for wheel spin vibrations. This will allow you or the mechanic to operate the engine and tranny to full rpm ranges while someone underneath isolates the trouble point. This is risky and may not be allowed. The drive on's are better than 4 point for this project but then that's if you can get on them, I can't. Too low.
The clutch is heavy, compared to like a T5. This is my first TR3650, so I'm not sure if this is normal. The dealer mentioned they thought one of the mods on the car was the clutch, but they have no other info than what they remember. I don't trust tranny shops cause every time I've been to one with previous cars, they've said "oh yeah, you need a complete rebuild". Can I remove the access cover if all I have is the drive up ramps? I'm like you, I like to investigate first to know all I can about problems before going to a pro, if I can't fix it. Appreciate the help investigating the problem!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation Re: Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The clutch is heavy, compared to like a T5. This is my first TR3650, so I'm not sure if this is normal. The dealer mentioned they thought one of the mods on the car was the clutch, but they have no other info than what they remember. I don't trust tranny shops cause every time I've been to one with previous cars, they've said "oh yeah, you need a complete rebuild". Can I remove the access cover if all I have is the drive up ramps? I'm like you, I like to investigate first to know all I can about problems before going to a pro, if I can't fix it. Appreciate the help investigating the problem!
gimme a call ....

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Yeah, you can. Just follow safety precautions like chocking the rear wheels. you will need to drive front wheels onto your ramp at home. Should be two to 4 screws on the cover. Not sure what you can or will see but the fork is right there connected to the bearing. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow at the shop and bring you up to speed. gimme a call, sounds like like you may need some info, at least more than I am willing to share on the forum.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

gimme a call ....

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Yeah, you can. Just follow safety precautions like chocking the rear wheels. you will need to drive front wheels onto your ramp at home. Should be two to 4 screws on the cover. Not sure what you can or will see but the fork is right there connected to the bearing. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow at the shop and bring you up to speed. gimme a call, sounds like like you may need some info, at least more than I am willing to share on the forum.
Why not share the info with all us mustang enthusiast?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why not share the info with all us mustang enthusiast?
Rephrase that...more than I am willing to write. I try not to make long posts. Been prepping car for a 500 mi hike tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help

Quote:
Okay, I've recorded some video for sound so you can hear this metallic noise. The noise is kinda faint in the vid, so pay attention at 2000RPM. You can hear come then go as you move to higher RPM. The noise only happens when your are in gear driving and will happen in any gear. The noise only seems to happen around 200RPM and will go away after 2 to 4 minutes. Seems like a metallic noise would be bad to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I've checked for loose heat shields around the cats - good and tight. No loose bolts on exhaust. Should I go ahead and have it looked at?

Metallic Noise around 2000RPM - YouTube
Assuming you have a T5 Tremec tranny (2004 Mach 1), and that you can view the throwout bearing from the clutch cable cover, you should be able to see a portion of the tranny input shaft clearly in the bell housing. Throwout bearings wear just like drive belt tensioners wheels, which is why they are changed everytime the clutch is replaced. They squeak like crazy when worn. Yours does it at certain RPMs, and if that is the fault you can expect it to continue to incrase at all RPM ranges. The squeak won't come from the contact point on the input shaft but from the bearings as it sits in the racer. You can't lubricate them just replace them. Its just an early sign that you will need to drop the tranny and replace the throwout bearing. I feel that removing the center console between the driver and passenger seats will help you to isolate the noise. I took a look at my tranny today, but unfortunately, I have a T45. Hopefully, you can consider this research and keep costs down to a throwout bearing. Because your chirp/squeak occurs at certain RPM ranges is could be assumed it is the bearing. It could be determined that if you had someone depress the clutch a small portion of the input shaft would be sufficiently exposed to allow you to apply some lubrication if the input shaft is indeed dry; that would be a good thing. Now be sure to understand, I am a do it yourselfer. Being smart keeps money in my pocket, but that's me. I make mistakes sometimes in my information but I know my car. Hopefully you get to know yours better and good luck. I only respond to what I have experience with.

Tomorrow is Freaky Friday in Fayetteville, NC, but I can't race yet till I get PI heads so I am just going out to watch the fun. Good luck.

1997 GT Vert, Bullit Wheels, BBK systems from TB to mid pipe OR/X, much more...all the way to dynamat equipped. When I go on the Interstate traffic slows to take a good look. I love it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Assuming you have a T5 Tremec tranny (2004 Mach 1), and that you can view the throwout bearing from the clutch cable cover, you should be able to see a portion of the tranny input shaft clearly in the bell housing. Throwout bearings wear just like drive belt tensioners wheels, which is why they are changed everytime the clutch is replaced. They squeak like crazy when worn. Yours does it at certain RPMs, and if that is the fault you can expect it to continue to incrase at all RPM ranges. The squeak won't come from the contact point on the input shaft but from the bearings as it sits in the racer. You can't lubricate them just replace them. Its just an early sign that you will need to drop the tranny and replace the throwout bearing. I feel that removing the center console between the driver and passenger seats will help you to isolate the noise. I took a look at my tranny today, but unfortunately, I have a T45. Hopefully, you can consider this research and keep costs down to a throwout bearing. Because your chirp/squeak occurs at certain RPM ranges is could be assumed it is the bearing. It could be determined that if you had someone depress the clutch a small portion of the input shaft would be sufficiently exposed to allow you to apply some lubrication if the input shaft is indeed dry; that would be a good thing. Now be sure to understand, I am a do it yourselfer. Being smart keeps money in my pocket, but that's me. I make mistakes sometimes in my information but I know my car. Hopefully you get to know yours better and good luck. I only respond to what I have experience with.

Tomorrow is Freaky Friday in Fayetteville, NC, but I can't race yet till I get PI heads so I am just going out to watch the fun. Good luck.

1997 GT Vert, Bullit Wheels, BBK systems from TB to mid pipe OR/X, much more...all the way to dynamat equipped. When I go on the Interstate traffic slows to take a good look. I love it.
Actually, middle 2001 to 2004 Mustangs have Tremec TR-3650 trannys. But, maybe the clutch cable cover and what not are essentially the same and I can have a look. I'm gonna try to check it out this weekend. Is it difficult to get the clutch cable off? The fear is that I won't be able to get it back together. I'm pretty hands on and know why something is too big for my britches, but I wanna at least make an attempt before taking it to the shop. Thanks for reporting back. I'll post some pictures when I dig in.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Well, I was hoping the sound was from my clutch cable cover that was loose. Now, it could still be from this cover, because it does still twist when you use force after retightening it. But, this is unlikely. Check out the video linked below of this before I tightened it. I have ramps and I don't think I can get close enough to it to make sure I can see inside if I remove the clutch cable cover completely. Is there anything else that can be removed to take a peek at the clutch and flywheel?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, I was hoping the sound was from my clutch cable cover that was loose. Now, it could still be from this cover, because it does still twist when you use force after retightening it. But, this is unlikely. Check out the video linked below of this before I tightened it. I have ramps and I don't think I can get close enough to it to make sure I can see inside if I remove the clutch cable cover completely. Is there anything else that can be removed to take a peek at the clutch and flywheel?

This is just a suggestion but can you take the cover off and drive the car and see if the noise goes away?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

This is just a suggestion but can you take the cover off and drive the car and see if the noise goes away?
Now since I know I can at least get to that, I'll try it. It's a flimsy metal part, so I could see it resonating until the heat makes it change shape. Thanks! I'll report back. Stay safe.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now since I know I can at least get to that, I'll try it. It's a flimsy metal part, so I could see it resonating until the heat makes it change shape. Thanks! I'll report back. Stay safe.
Honestly, if you are planning on riding off road with your mustang i would just leave it off if it is only serving as a cover....if that was my car. Ok, thanks cant wait to hear what it does...and i will.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I plan to pop off the clutch cable cover and see if I have a free-play kit installed. It's been hot around here practically since I started this thread, so it's not making the noise much at all. I need it to make this noise so the dealer can hear it. I'll have to leave it overnight so its as cold as this weather will allow anyway.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

aw okie, well thats a good idea let us know what they find out.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The noise turned out to be my tranny input shaft pocket bearing. The input shaft was also scored. I guess the when the bearing would warm up, the noise level would be reduced. The tech at the dealership said it was actually making noise all the time, it just wasn't as as loud. Fortunately, this was covered with my warranty I bought with the car.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The noise turned out to be my tranny input shaft pocket bearing. The input shaft was also scored. I guess the when the bearing would warm up, the noise level would be reduced. The tech at the dealership said it was actually making noise all the time, it just wasn't as as loud. Fortunately, this was covered with my warranty I bought with the car.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Explain the noise you were hearing again cuz my cobra kinda makes a noise when its cold or as certain times when the clutch is pushed in but its not slipping though.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post

Explain the noise you were hearing again cuz my cobra kinda makes a noise when its cold or as certain times when the clutch is pushed in but its not slipping though.
It was like a higher pitched metal on metal noise that happened when it was cold (over night). You'd mainly hear it 1850rpm to 2300rpm range. If you put the clutch in while it was doing it, it would go away immediately. Also, in the summer, it would go away by the time you drove out of your neighborhood. In the winter, it would take a like 5 miles before it would go away. According to the Ford tech, you could still hear it if you were outside the car and even more if you were close to the tranny. So I guess the noise would get worse at the ~2000rpm range when it was cold, and just get more quiet when warmed up, never really going away. The tech claims that the input shaft pocket bearing was the source of the noise, but there were lower frequency metallic whines from other bearings in the tranny too. Seems kinda hard to believe the bearings went bad by 40,000 miles. This makes me wonder if when the prev owner had the aftermarket clutch put it, if the tranny was aligned properly when they put it back together. Sorry this was so long!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Naw dude its cool on the length cuz i have a 98 cobra with a t-45 according to the manual. When the car sits for a long time and is cold some times when you place it in 1st gear and take off it makes a kinda rubbing noise that you can sorta feel in the stick. It only does it in 1st though or when you are down shift to allow the engine to slow you down. I wonder if this is the same thing?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

but it goes away after the engine is warm and stays warm.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Naw dude its cool on the length cuz i have a 98 cobra with a t-45 according to the manual. When the car sits for a long time and is cold some times when you place it in 1st gear and take off it makes a kinda rubbing noise that you can sorta feel in the stick. It only does it in 1st though or when you are down shift to allow the engine to slow you down. I wonder if this is the same thing?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

but it goes away after the engine is warm and stays warm.
I have to say I could have swore I would feel it wobble in first when it was cold. Like it was not rotating smoothly. Picture a brake rotor that's warped, but its part of your drivetrain. You could only feel this when it was cold and at very very slow speeds in first.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Naw, mine doesnt wobble or anything.....I could change the fluid and see if it changes it....cuz it almost sounds like the noise of if you were to rub to rusted things together.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Naw, mine doesnt wobble or anything.....I could change the fluid and see if it changes it....cuz it almost sounds like the noise of if you were to rub to rusted things together.
Yeah, maybe sitting plays on that sorta rust metal on metal thing your talking about. They guy that owned mine only put 1000 to 1500 per year on it. He owned it for 6.5 years.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

hmmm same here with mine. Im the third owner and the first owner bought the car new put most of the miles on it and he was like 70 something while the 2nd owner was 65 and only put 2400 miles on it since 09. You think it just needs to be driven?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
hmmm same here with mine. Im the third owner and the first owner bought the car new put most of the miles on it and he was like 70 something while the 2nd owner was 65 and only put 2400 miles on it since 09. You think it just needs to be driven?
Same on mine. 3 owners, original put on most miles.

I think so, about driving it. I decided I'm going to change my engine oils like every 1500 miles for the first year to try and clean the engine up inside. I guess I won't need to worry about the tranny anymore.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same on mine. 3 owners, original put on most miles.

I think so, about driving it. I decided I'm going to change my engine oils like every 1500 miles for the first year to try and clean the engine up inside. I guess I won't need to worry about the tranny anymore.
Sounds like a good deal, im changing my trans fluid in mine every 10K miles. I hope just driving it will help with the noise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT