No mufflers??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
No mufflers???

What would happen if i took out my mufflers and just ran cats cause my shop will pass me on inspectoin if i throw my mufs back on the day they inspect it. Im not gonna take out the cats cause i dont wanna have to weld them back on for inspection
02gtsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The first one is coming out of the motor the second one is a pipe going between the 2 exhaust pipes. Is all that stock?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-208699927.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	50484

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3223068290.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	50485
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtsilver
The first one is coming out of the motor the second one is a pipe going between the 2 exhaust pipes. Is all that stock?
Yes that's all stock, that pipe in between is called a H-pipe. It helps even out the exhaust pulses and produce a little more scavenging. Those in the first pictures are both cats, the mufflers are farther back. personally I would just buy a cat-back instead of just removing the mufflers, that way you can change up the sound and still pass emissions.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Yes that's all stock, that pipe in between is called a H-pipe. It helps even out the exhaust pulses and produce a little more scavenging. Those in the first pictures are both cats, the mufflers are farther back. personally I would just buy a cat-back instead of just removing the mufflers, that way you can change up the sound and still pass emissions.
See heres my problem my friend has an 02 just like mine and took out his mufflers and left the cats and then ran a pipe out each side in front of his rear tires and it sounds BA. And i dont think theres any exauhst out there thatll make that sound.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gtsilver

See heres my problem my friend has an 02 just like mine and took out his mufflers and left the cats and then ran a pipe out each side in front of his rear tires and it sounds BA. And i dont think theres any exauhst out there thatll make that sound.
There isnt, it all comes down to personal preference really. I'm not the biggest fan of straight pipes but that's just me. SLP LM1s will sound very similar though.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: No mufflers???

I only have 4 of my cats and stock H pipe with no mufflers, it sounds GD. But only to bout 3000 rpms and then it gets nasty. Not the good nasty either. Pops alot and have to give it gas to go down a steep hill. I bought it that way or I wouldn't had done it. I'm going to take 2 more cats off (in near future) and see if it makes it any better. Trying to save for tuner atm. Getting married in few weeks and fiance said I could spend money on mustang. So theres my tuner and exhaust and hopefully a pi intake kit.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

There's more then 2 cats on the car? I've never heard of that. Then again I've never been under a stock exhaust Stang.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: No mufflers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
There's more then 2 cats on the car? I've never heard of that. Then again I've never been under a stock exhaust Stang.
Yes there was 6 on my 96 ft. I know that's a lot but I can get bout $30 a piece from junkyard . So not so bad
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
There's 4 cats under mine, soon to be none;D
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT