Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Headers

There are so many different kinds of headers out there. What is the best one that makes smoothest sound and best results in tq and hp? I already have x-pipe with catback exaust system.
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylercribbs
There are so many different kinds of headers out there. What is the best one that makes smoothest sound and best results in tq and hp? I already have x-pipe with catback exaust system.
Good question. I'm in the middle of the road too. I'll subscribe to see the results. Trick flow seem to be the way to go. Cost wise the are expensive.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Good question. I'm in the middle of the road too. I'll subscribe to see the results. Trick flow seem to be the way to go. Cost wise the are expensive.
He was referring to headers not heads.

MAC is what I like due to economic reasons and previous use, but the best gains are always going to come in the form of a long tube header due to the fact that they can expell moremgas quicker. Kooks I've heard are phenomenal and American racing but I can't justify their products due to them being in excess of $1,000!

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull

He was referring to headers not heads.

MAC is what I like due to economic reasons and previous use, but the best gains are always going to come in the form of a long tube header due to the fact that they can expell moremgas quicker. Kooks I've heard are phenomenal and American racing but I can't justify their products due to them being in excess of $1,000!
+11.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Shorties are good for low RPM power and long tube are for high RPM power
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty
Shorties are good for low RPM power and long tube are for high RPM power
I think you got that a little backwards!.. Lol Long Tubes, in most applications, show some power gains starting down low and increasing throughout the RPM range!.. Shorties and Mid Length usually start their gains mid rang then increase on up!..
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry watching Family Guy and not really paying attention to my typing
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry watching Family Guy and not really paying attention to my typing
I'll forgive you this time!!... But only because your watching Family Guy!.. Hahahahaha
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol! It was a good one, and you were right. I was meaning to put high end and low end but I was really into Family Guy and wasn't thinking, LMAO!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol! It was a good one, and you were right. I was meaning to put high end and low end but I was really into Family Guy and wasn't thinking, LMAO!!!
Ya I was thinking that is what you were meaning!..
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I think you got that a little backwards!.. Lol Long Tubes, in most applications, show some power gains starting down low and increasing throughout the RPM range!..
When I put my Long tubes on thats where I noticed a difference...Far as brand, not sure about mac never used them but stay AWAY from flowtech they sux....you will thank me later. I like bbk, hooker, hedman, and pacesetter. Im going to tell you like I've been told about headers, you get what you paid for. IMO, stick with a brand that has the ball sock at the collective instead of the weld on. I ordered bbk for for the cobra and will be installing then soon as I get home so check in from time to time in a few months lol.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
I think you got that a little backwards!.. Lol Long Tubes, in most applications, show some power gains starting down low and increasing throughout the RPM range!.. Shorties and Mid Length usually start their gains mid rang then increase on up!..
Quote:
Ya I was thinking that is what you were meaning!..
He was right. Shorty headers net you LOW end NOT top end.

Unless the 99-04 2V is different from 3V S197s or LS series engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
When I put my Long tubes on thats where I noticed a difference...Far as brand, not sure about mac never used them but stay AWAY from flowtech they sux....you will thank me later. I like bbk, hooker, hedman, and pacesetter. Im going to tell you like I've been told about headers, you get what you paid for. IMO, stick with a brand that has the ball sock at the collective instead of the weld on. I ordered bbk for for the cobra and will be installing then soon as I get home so check in from time to time in a few months lol.
Headers are great. Cheaper brands will still gain great power. Just study and choose. There are differences.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

Headers are great. Cheaper brands will still gain great power. Just study and choose. There are differences.
Yea I know they will still give you the gain, its the headache of blown gaskets, install, and etc that will give on different brands. I do agree you should research the brand you are wanting to buy.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
Yea I know they will still give you the gain, its the headache of blown gaskets, install, and etc that will give on different brands. I do agree you should research the brand you are wanting to buy.
Oh I know. Let me make it clear that I was adding to your post. Not actually replying to it I agree with your original statement 100%

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I know. Let me make it clear that I was adding to your post. Not actually replying to it I agree with your original statement 100%
its cool, I know you was...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

He was right. Shorty headers net you LOW end NOT top end.

Unless the 99-04 2V is different from 3V S197s or LS series engines.

Sorry bro but you are wrong!.. You need to look at some actual dyno sheets!.. Long tubes will net you gains starting low and going through the top end!.. Mid Lengths and Shorties start their gains mid range then up!.. Technically all three net you "big gains" at top!.. But Long Tubes will give you some low end gains too!.. Sorry but you need to do some actual research on them!...
Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry bro but you are wrong!.. You need to look at some actual dyno sheets!.. Long tubes will net you gains starting low and going through the top end!.. Mid Lengths and Shorties start their gains mid range then up!.. Technically all three net you "big gains" at top!.. But Long Tubes will give you some low end gains too!.. Sorry but you need to do some actual research on them!...
I did. Shall I link all the references to my statement?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did. Shall I link all the references to my statement?
Go for it!.. I can do the same!.. Lol
Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go for it!.. I can do the same!.. Lol
Ford Racing Shorty Headers M9430-s197 - Ford Mustang Forums

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclemustangsfastfords
The long-tube headers, like the shorties, are also available in chrome (PN BBK 1641) and ceramic coated (PN BBK 16410). With the long-tube headers and mid-pipe in place, Grieves strapped our GT down for one last spin of the rollers. True to form, the long-tube combination yielded yet another 4 rwhp and 8 rwtq, bringing our running totals to 397 rwhp and 378 lb-ft of torque. More noticeable, though, was the big increase in torque from 3,650 to 5,500 rpm. Around 6050 is where the shorty completely drops off even under

Clearly we made the most power with the long-tube headers and matching mid-pipe. However, this is not a perfect world. As the graph shows, low-end torque was reduced slightly. It was recovered higher in the rpm range, but it must still be noted.

Read more: 2005 Ford Mustang GT Headers & Mid-Pipe Tests - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

At about 2800 and 3600 The shorty makes more low end TQ. Otherwise the LT made more power higher and higher. The shorty eventually dipped under even stock at around 5700. At around 6050 you see the shorty header drop off worse and worse. This is important because when having a tune, your rev limit will be higher.

It should be noted that this was on a S/C car. The added force will bring up low end numbers for both types of headers.

It should also be noted that BBK is a 'tuned' shorty I believe which makes it at the very least a quality header.

In this dyno of a BBK Shorty VS BBK LT header. The SHORTY has higher gains from the onset in HP and TQ and after 5300 or so the LT takes over in HP & TQ and the BBK Starts to drop out. The LT posting higher gains in the upper RPM.

This was done on a car with a CAI and tune with a TB.

In this picture the shorty makes the most torque at around 2600 RPM down low. What this Dyno DOES show is that the argument that shorties are useless is not necessarily true because they, while lower than the LTs, they are still gaining a decent amount over the range over stock.

In these last 2 images a stock S197 with a LT and no on the upper dyno, while the increases are both good, the LT hold the numbers for a more linear curve and slower decline. The decline RPM is within 200 RPM but the Shorty fell harder.

The shorty Dyno was with CAI, UDP and Tune. SO with the additional mods, the peak gain was 21 hp & 25 lb/ft while using the shorties WITH cai, WITH pulleys and WITH a tune.

The Long tube and catted pipe non tuned dyno on an otherwise stock S197 was 19.7 average HP gain and 23.4 lb/ft and peaking 23.4 hp and 28.3 lb/ft.

There were dynos showing losses in shorties but I wanted to give the shorty a fair shake since BBK and JBA have put a lot of time into them to make power. They are viable options but for optimal HP a LT will always out perform. Now for a quick bang for buck shorties, mainly JBA and BBK are worth the money and install saved.

Going Turbo be a problem with LTs if that is a goal, otherwise a S/C would cure that problem.

In this photo, between 3k and 4k the shorty lost torque and eventually producing less torque from 4k to 5300.

In this image, from 3700 to 5400 the Shorty lost HP.

Now, in all the links and info the shorty did not always make MORE torque down low but in ALL the dynos it started declining hard anywhere as early as 3500 to cut off.

The one constant in all these dynos is the LT made more power every time at higher RPM than the Shorty.

Now, if the LT money is worth the extra ponies to people, that is their choice. They both are better than stock.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bro you just helped to prove my point!.. Lol. Short tube and tuned length starting to make power at about 2,200 RPMs!.. (I'm sure that is what you posted. Sorry I'm on my iPhone) That being the case, 2,200 would put you at about the beginning of your Mid Range for power output!.. Considering the fact that these motors generally are not making power past about 6,000 RPMs!..

So like I said before!.. Short Tube and Tuned Length headers start making power at about Mid Range on up!..
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bro you just helped to prove my point!.. Lol. Short tube and tuned length starting to make power at about 2,200 RPMs!.. (I'm sure that is what you posted. Sorry I'm on my iPhone) That being the case, 2,200 would put you at about the beginning of your Mid Range for power output!.. Considering the fact that these motors generally are not making power past about 6,000 RPMs!..

So like I said before!.. Short Tube and Tuned Length headers start making power at about Mid Range on up!..
I will succeed that it was a little closer but 2200 is not the middle of 6k. The shorties generally made less up top and more middle or low. Which is what I said. Although, you DID say 'and up'.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I will succeed that it was a little closer but 2200 is not the middle of 6k. The shorties generally made less up top and more middle or low. Which is what I said. Although, you DID say 'and up'.
No 2,200 isn't the exact middle!.. Lol 3,000 is!.. But your Mid Range would put you between 2,000 and 4,000!... Assuming your max output is right at 6,000 RPMs!..

I think both of us are saying pretty much the same thing!.. Just worded a bit different!..
Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Def like the dyno sheets you posted and helped me make my mind on staying with Long tubes all the time. Now, hoping I see the same out come on my cobra when I get them on there.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No 2,200 isn't the exact middle!.. Lol 3,000 is!.. But your Mid Range would put you between 2,000 and 4,000!... Assuming your max output is right at 6,000 RPMs!..

I think both of us are saying pretty much the same thing!.. Just worded a bit different!..
I'll agree to that. OP just has to decide of the LT price is worth the extra ponies.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll agree to that. OP just has to decide of the LT price is worth the extra ponies.
Personally if I had the cash on hand right now I would LTs!..
Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

My Pypes LT rub my column but I remedied that already. Other than that, It dropped me a little over .3

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Pypes LT rub my column but I remedied that already. Other than that, It dropped me a little over .3
I'm hoping for a similar drop like that as well. Hoping for mid-upper 13's on a good 93 tune with just CAI, STS, full exhaust (MAC LT, Prochamber, flows). Well see. One more week and the conversion is done.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
I'm hoping for a similar drop like that as well. Hoping for mid-upper 13's on a good 93 tune with just CAI, STS, full exhaust (MAC LT, Prochamber, flows). Well see. One more week and the conversion is done.
I think you got it as your car stock can nail a high 13 so with your mods a low 13 should be possible.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

well after all the stuff I have done to the GT along with the supercharger im hoping the LT really help me out alot, cuz motor alone I noticed a big difference.

I hoping for the same effect on the cobra but a few mods to it thoug.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

If you are S/C, LT give huge gains.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you are S/C, LT give huge gains.
+11
Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

good, cuz i have them on the gt and it will be getting a S/C when I get back...its going to be a beast lol
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
+11.
Oh, ok. I take it that means manifold headers. If so, I took the pain of installing BBK equal length shortys. Painful, but nice. Sweet pain. No, I did not consider LTs because I was just learning. LTs require some planning and I had investments to preserve. LOL. Thanks all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT