2v vs. 4v? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2v vs. 4v?

So I keep hearing the term 2v and 4v with the gt and cobra from 99-04 I think (maybe just 03-04) I know the gt had a 2v and cobra had a 4v. So whats the difference? I don't know what that stands for. Maybe a dumb question, but any input would be appreciated
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93
So I keep hearing the term 2v and 4v with the gt and cobra from 99-04 I think (maybe just 03-04) I know the gt had a 2v and cobra had a 4v. So whats the difference? I don't know what that stands for. Maybe a dumb question, but any input would be appreciated
2valves per cylinder on a gt, 4 valves per cylinder in a cobra.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I gotcha. Thanks! I'm guessing 4v can handle more/out out more power?
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 2v vs. 4v?

yea more valves = more flow usually. Also the 4v have four cams so some call them 4 cam vs 2 cam as the 2v only have two cams.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea more valves = more flow usually. Also the 4v have four cams so some call them 4 cam vs 2 cam as the 2v only have two cams.
Or more commonly referred to as SOHC (2v) or DOHC (4v)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington

How hard would it be to swap a GT 4.6 SOHC for a 4.6 Cobra DOHC? I want a project that involves an engine being rebuilt...
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
How hard would it be to swap a GT 4.6 SOHC for a 4.6 Cobra DOHC? I want a project that involves an engine being rebuilt...
The biggest problem you'll encounter is getting all the supporting mods. For example : a late 01-04 gt motor is a 6 bolt main whereas The cobra was an 8 bolt so a new flywheel will be necessary. 2nd the ecu in your SOHC gt isn't going run a DOHC cobra motor nor will the engine harness so both should be swapped in favor of cobra gear. And then if your going to add forged internals there is the cost of that. It's all a matter of how bad you want to go to a 4v setup as they are sexy... But personally I'm just planning to buy a forged 2v short block and go with trick flow heads and cams and slap a blower on it and call it good!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
The biggest problem you'll encounter is getting all the supporting mods. For example : a late 01-04 gt motor is a 6 bolt main whereas The cobra was an 8 bolt so a new flywheel will be necessary. 2nd the ecu in your SOHC gt isn't going run a DOHC cobra motor nor will the engine harness so both should be swapped in favor of cobra gear. And then if your going to add forged internals there is the cost of that. It's all a matter of how bad you want to go to a 4v setup as they are sexy... But personally I'm just planning to buy a forged 2v short block and go with trick flow heads and cams and slap a blower on it and call it good!
So if i buy a Cobra donor car with a DOHC 4.6l and just take the ECU, wiring harness, engine, tranny, and anything else i need.. It'd be worth it to swap? I Really want my stang to have about 500+ HP so if i just planted the engine in my garage and rebuilt it with forged internals.. I could get there? with a supercharger and NOS of course for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness

So if i buy a Cobra donor car with a DOHC 4.6l and just take the ECU, wiring harness, engine, tranny, and anything else i need.. It'd be worth it to swap? I Really want my stang to have about 500+ HP so if i just planted the engine in my garage and rebuilt it with forged internals.. I could get there? with a supercharger and NOS of course for me.
So you want to buy a cobra and take all of the parts out to put in a GT?? Why not just buy the cobra sell the GT. pull the motor from the cobra get the block worked with your forged internals and use the money from the GT to pay for your new mods/tune. That way you don't need to need to swap anything AND you'll have a motor than can stand well up to and over 500+rwhp
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you want to buy a cobra and take all of the parts out to put in a GT?? Why not just buy the cobra sell the GT. pull the motor from the cobra get the block worked with your forged internals and use the money from the GT to pay for your new mods/tune. That way you don't need to need to swap anything AND you'll have a motor than can stand well up to and over 500+rwhp
I think i like this better thanks man! I kinda thought about it but needed a push to do it.. Ill fix up my stang, sell it for maybe 5000, and hopefully get a cobra project.. or maybe just save up a few months and spend 10,000 on a cobra.. what year should i be looking at for it? a terminator? or 96-98 Cobra? what?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

an 03-04 would be awesome
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

V6 guys should always go 4v, as for GT's... I say there is no point in swapping, just put the money into the 2v.
i know video sucks but it's my lil old stock 2v[withnitrous] closest to camera vs a D1sc 01 4v
kennygt vs cobra - YouTube

the guy was pretty upset at the loss and called me out on my stockness. so i took a picture of my motor and posted it.

MGW INSTALL.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t303945/
KennyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Keep in mind the 03/04 Cobras' 4V was forged from the factory. You really don't need too much to see 500hp with one of those cars...we're talking pulley swap, exhaust, intake and a good tune.

Port the blower, taller gears, lowering springs, and a stronger clutch and you're all set.

Just ask one of the terminator owners, hell look at their mod list/rwhp numbers..that's why those cobras are still imo the best bang for your buck mustang out there.

MPS has a complete 03/04 cobra drivetrain complete with wiring harness and ECU for ~10k

I agree with the others...sell the mods on your GT, sell the GT, then pick up a cobra...you can find them with 40-60k miles for 15-17k...I personally would want one with low miles and near stock as it's easy to f*ck these cars up with poor tuning and lack of mods to match the increase in a/f/s.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGT View Post
V6 guys should always go 4v, as for GT's... I say there is no point in swapping
Well I went with a 2 valve swap from my V6 because I don't have 10,000 for a cobra motor, tranny, and complete drivetain etc ect. 500hp is easy with the 4 valves, but also remember that they have a supercharger sitting on top in addition to them having better heads. If you have the money and want a diff car By all means sell yours and do, but if you want to be original or if your car has sentimental value to you (as mine does) keep it and mod/swap the motor. In my lifetime I'll probably have 2 more motors in the car, but in reality there will be always be a newer better motor (thus why the coyote was born).

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
Well I went with a 2 valve swap from my V6 because I don't have 10,000 for a cobra motor, tranny, and complete drivetain etc ect. 500hp is easy with the 4 valves, but also remember that they have a supercharger sitting on top in addition to them having better heads. If you have the money and want a diff car By all means sell yours and do, but if you want to be original or if your car has sentimental value to you (as mine does) keep it and mod/swap the motor. In my lifetime I'll probably have 2 more motors in the car, but in reality there will be always be a newer better motor (thus why the coyote was born).
4v doesn't mean 03 cobra motor. you can grab yourself a mark viii motor for like 600 bucks. then the process you did is the same as the 2v. but hey either way both motors are great can achieve enough power to run great 1/4 mile times.

MGW INSTALL.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Question: was there ever a cobra produced that wasn't supercharged from the factory. Cuz I was at a dealership and I saw this bright red cobra had the badges and all but when I popped the hood I didnt see a blower but I did have a cobra intake manifold and upon test drive didn't feel that much faster than my gt? At the end of the day I didn't buy it but I always wondered if it was legit.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
All cobras prior to 03 didn't have a blower from the factory
Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
All cobras prior to 03 didn't have a blower from the factory
Oh ok so it was legit. Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
4v doesn't mean 03 cobra motor. you can grab yourself a mark viii motor for like 600 bucks. then the process you did is the same as the 2v. but hey either way both motors are great can achieve enough power to run great 1/4 mile times.
Right, I know only 03-04 had the eaton M112 blower, however most 4V motors that I've seen for sale that are complete packages are in the range of 3-4K for just the motor and more like 6-10 for motor and tranny (10 for 03-04s). And for what I got I couldn't pass on it = complete kit motor/tranny/ecu/all wiriing/gauges/pedal assembly/driveshaft/8.8 rear/cooling/exhaust etc from a wrecked 2000 GT/roush stage 1 for 4K which made it a no-brainer for me. But yea If I had the money I would of easily gotten an 03-04 cobra drivetrain.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Right, I know only 03-04 had the eaton M112 blower, however most 4V motors that I've seen for sale that are complete packages are in the range of 3-4K for just the motor and more like 6-10 for motor and tranny (10 for 03-04s). And for what I got I couldn't pass on it = complete kit motor/tranny/ecu/all wiriing/gauges/pedal assembly/driveshaft/8.8 rear/cooling/exhaust etc from a wrecked 2000 GT/roush stage 1 for 4K which made it a no-brainer for me. But yea If I had the money I would of easily gotten an 03-04 cobra drivetrain.
So how far along with your swap are you?
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Question: was there ever a cobra produced that wasn't supercharged from the factory. Cuz I was at a dealership and I saw this bright red cobra had the badges and all but when I popped the hood I didnt see a blower but I did have a cobra intake manifold and upon test drive didn't feel that much faster than my gt? At the end of the day I didn't buy it but I always wondered if it was legit.
Yah the 94-95 Cobra 5.0L's were n/a, the 96-98 and 99/01 4v 4.6L v8's in the cobras were all n/a.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I should have rephrased my previous statement. C head 4v motors I.E - mach 1 motors 99-01 motors and 03-04 motors. Again a mark viii motor is a the same as a 96-98[B head] motor. They can be had at junkyards for very low prices and go on craigs for about 600-800. The hardest part is getting an ecu which you want from a 98-01 cobra since obd2.

Everything else is the same as a GT model, including transmission, cause B head motors are 6 bolt.This is the reason I say v6's should go 4v cause the pricing is the same for them. As for Gt's why spend the 1000-1200 when you can easily go full bolt ons with that. I guess the only reason a 4v should be transplanted to a GT is for road racing.

MGW INSTALL.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14 View Post
So how far along with your swap are you?

Car is practically done. MPS Sent me the wrong body wiring harness (sent me a coupe harness and I obviously have a convertible). As soon as that is done the interior can go back in and tuning will begin. If I didn't TDY to Fort Sam for 3 weeks it would probably already be done, but thats military life.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull

Car is practically done. MPS Sent me the wrong body wiring harness (sent me a coupe harness and I obviously have a convertible). As soon as that is done the interior can go back in and tuning will begin. If I didn't TDY to Fort Sam for 3 weeks it would probably already be done, but thats military life.
But we appreciate your service to your country and hope you get'r done when you can!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is the reason I say v6's should go 4v cause the pricing is the same for them. As for Gt's why spend the 1000-1200 when you can easily go full bolt ons with that. I guess the only reason a 4v should be transplanted to a GT is for road racing.

Pricing is not the same. 10K-4K = 6k savings by giong 3.8 to 4.6 SOHC vs DOHC 4.6. In addition I needed a K-member. Went with PA performance K-member. I would of loved to go 4V now, but like I said I doubt this will be the last time I swap. Just needed more hop out of my car for now. Eventually sometime in the ehh...5-10 year range and once I pay off my student loans, Bills, and more important things than my car (yes I said that) I will swap to something really nasty (coyote etc) and I'm sure some company will make it easier to swap in coyote motors into our cars. And 10 years down the road = less costly to do it.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
But we appreciate your service to your country and hope you get'r done when you can!

Thank you and thank everyone on here that is currently serving and has served. It is my pleasure to serve our country sir so every time a civillian thanks me I tell them thank you for allowing me to serve you.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 05-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I should have rephrased my previous statement. C head 4v motors I.E - mach 1 motors 99-01 motors and 03-04 motors. Again a mark viii motor is a the same as a 96-98[B head] motor. They can be had at junkyards for very low prices and go on craigs for about 600-800. The hardest part is getting an ecu which you want from a 98-01 cobra since obd2.
Quote:
Pricing is not the same. 10K-4K = 6k savings by giong 3.8 to 4.6 SOHC vs DOHC 4.6. In addition I needed a K-member. Went with PA performance K-member. .
??????

I don't understand how you think they are 10k still...... I'm sure with the two separate posts i clearly stated we are not talking about an 03 cobra motor or other c head motor...... Not that you should do it but IF you wanted to for example you could sell your 2v motor complete with wiring harness and ecu and simply buy a b head 4v motor harness and ecu for the same money you sold the 2v for.... everything else you already have will transfer over.. Thus meaning the pricing is the same..... Good luck with your swap.A helpful hint, I would take off the timing cover and inspect the plastic chain guides to make sure they are in tip top shape before swapping in the motor in.

MGW INSTALL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT