port polish and balance job - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
port polish and balance job

I'm getting everything balanced in my 4.6 and i was wandering what i can do as far as porting and polishing everything. Im getting trick flow twisted wedge heads and stage 2 xtreme energy comp cams new headers (don't know what kind yet) and i don't know what kind of intake manifold i should get. Any kind of suggestions and tips would help
allen1998gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If your going with trick flow heads you might as well go with the trick flow intake. You'll see alot more high end with that combo.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on getting a kb 2.6 s/c once i save enough and i want to get a manifold that will hold it down before i get it that isn't too costly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You have forged internals? Cause with a 2.6 you'll need it. That's what I'm doing on mine
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Don't need forged internals on a small block just.take it.to a good machine shop and have them balance the rotating assembly as best they can and it'll hold whatever you throw down on it. I have a buddy with a 97 stock bottom end except for the pistons that's pushing 620 to the wheels. Its bulletproof
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen1998gt
Don't need forged internals on a small block just.take it.to a good machine shop and have them balance the rotating assembly as best they can and it'll hold whatever you throw down on it. I have a buddy with a 97 stock bottom end except for the pistons that's pushing 620 to the wheels. Its bulletproof
Really? Hmmm... Does he drive it like a grandma? I didn't even think the stock block could even hold that much power...are his rods forged too? If so then that's a bit more realistic.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

His pistons and rods are forged but everything else is stock. Just have to gear it and balance it just right and a ford Small block will do anything you need.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that this is incorrect? Stock internals can't exactly handle 620 safely, your buddy must be extremely lucky to be pushing that even with forged rods and pistons. That crank won't last forever.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well with anything forged your increasing your capacity but 600 would be pushing it without all forged.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This is a bit hard to belive the stock crank can only handle 650hp at the flywheel, even with forged rods and pistons that setup won't last to long and if you're going with the kenne bell it comes with its own intake manifold so if you get one for now go with the ford racing manifold
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So how many stock blocks have you had.all this done to? If you haven't done it then how the **** would you know that it can't take over 600 hp? And how would.the newer generation of it's be able to.do.it with stock crank and mine can't? They aren't forged.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how many stock blocks have you had.all this done to? If you haven't done it then how the **** would you know that it can't take over 600 hp? And how would.the newer generation of it's be able to.do.it with stock crank and mine can't? They aren't forged.
Well there's plenty of people out there who have tried and failed, I think that says something. The new ones start out at 420hp, it a whole lot easier to get away with that much HP.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol its the same kind of parts. Just because it starts with that much doesn't mean **** I've never seen anyone blow a 4.6 and I've seen them supercharger and turbocharged. Balanced with polished crank shaft with forged pistons will take you a lot further than you think. He has the papers to it
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol its the same kind of parts. Just because it starts with that much doesn't mean **** I've never seen anyone blow a 4.6 and I've seen them supercharger and turbocharged. Balanced with polished crank shaft with forged pistons will take you a lot further than you think. He has the papers to it
Except for the fact that one is a 4.6... And the other is a 5.0, there's kind of a difference there. and it does make a difference, it's much easier to attain 600rwhp with a 350whp engine than it is with a 230whp engine. I'm sure that balancing the crank helps out but that doesn't change the characteristics of the metal itself. Everything has its breaking point, on a 2V engine the crank is only good up to about 550. It may be able to handle the 620 your friend is laying down but how long is it going to take for that metal to reach its stress limits? Longevity is what's sacrificed when you start to throw any sort of HP at an engine, even more so when you bring forced induction into the mix. Your friends engine is the only one that I have heard of making 620whp with the stock cast crank.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Except for the fact that one is a 4.6... And the other is a 5.0, there's kind of a difference there. and it does make a difference, it's much easier to attain 600rwhp with a 350whp engine than it is with a 230whp engine. I'm sure that balancing the crank helps out but that doesn't change the characteristics of the metal itself. Everything has its breaking point, on a 2V engine the crank is only good up to about 550. It may be able to handle the 620 your friend is laying down but how long is it going to take for that metal to reach its stress limits? Longevity is what's sacrificed when you start to throw any sort of HP at an engine, even more so when you bring forced induction into the mix. Your friends engine is the only one that I have heard of making 620whp with the stock cast crank.
Same here I've never seen one make that much power on stock crank. But as you said, it's a matter of time until it goes. Unless he keeps the Rpms really low at all times. And I'm sure we all know because we've seen it happen. I've personally seen my friends 2v motor go out because of a broken crank and he wasnt even making close to that much power. What we are just trying to tell u is that for your friend it's just a waiting game until his crank goes. No one is saying we don't believe u.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Not getting into the argument, but if it were me I'd forge internals just to be safe

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: port polish and balance job

Ya I agree by the time you spend that much money forged crank would just be the size of a tip on the bill lol. Plus you wouldnt get that little feeling in your balls when your afraid somethings gonna break when you got your foot to the floor. I hate that!
mhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT