Mach1 cam change? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Mach1 cam change?

I am wanting to get primarily a better sound out of my car and like the old muscle car sound. I am pretty happy w/my current stock power. Is it possible to change the cams in a Mach 4V? Would I have to change lifters/springs with the change? I know I would need a tune, but would I have to get any other supporting mods with the cam change?
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
Fr500 heads with cams are good and livernous also makes cams. Get ready to spend a lot of money
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Fr500 heads with cams are good and livernous also makes cams. Get ready to spend a lot of money
This engine has plenty of power. I'm looking for the muscle car sound, but these engines run so smooth. Is there an exhaust setup that can help? Like O/R mid pipe? I know that will make it breathe better, but I don't know how that will change the sound. I've seem plenty of videos of mustangs with the E303 cams. That gave it a lump, which sounds good.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
runvsofthisbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Florida
Posts: 606
Re: Mach1 cam change?

The E3030 Cam (not cams) are only on Pushrod 5.0 liters which have one camshaft also known as an overhead valve camshaft. The 1996-2004 4.6L Mustang GTs have 2 cams. Your motor and all 1996-2004 mustang Cobras and Mach 1's have 4 cams. If you want a little more sound to your car I would first do the exhaust. Go with a longtube header design (BBK, MAC, or KOOKs if you want to spend the money) and a good solid Mid Pipe (O/R H pipe or Prochamber**my fav is what I'd suggest), however if you want to keep it economical you could just replace your stock Mid pipe with a O/R H or prochamber without touching the stock headers (just make sure that it is inteneded for the stock or shorty headers). This will give you plenty of rumble without messing with the cams. Most mid pipes are only a couple hundred and should bolt up just fine with jack stands to your headers and cat back exhaust.
__________________

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull
The E3030 Cam (not cams) are only on Pushrod 5.0 liters which have one camshaft also known as an overhead valve camshaft. The 1996-2004 4.6L Mustang GTs have 2 cams. Your motor and all 1996-2004 mustang Cobras and Mach 1's have 4 cams. If you want a little more sound to your car I would first do the exhaust. Go with a longtube header design (BBK, MAC, or KOOKs if you want to spend the money) and a good solid Mid Pipe (O/R H pipe or Prochamber**my fav is what I'd suggest), however if you want to keep it economical you could just replace your stock Mid pipe with a O/R H or prochamber without touching the stock headers (just make sure that it is inteneded for the stock or shorty headers). This will give you plenty of rumble without messing with the cams. Most mid pipes are only a couple hundred and should bolt up just fine with jack stands to your headers and cat back exhaust.
Yeah, knew of E303 and 4V etc, just using it as an example for idle sound. So it looks like I should try an exhaust change instead of cams etc. I have Flowmaster cat back that is basically has no mufflers. Everything else is stock. How does the Mac pro chamber sound compared to H and X pipe setups? And long tube vs short tube header sound differences? Thanks
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
Long tube headers and a pro chamber would set it off. The pro chamber is not as loud as a offroad h pipe but it will deliver more hp to the wheels. The long tube headers are worth about 10 hp over shorties but will cost alittle more. If funds are available I would be the ceraminic coated headers to cut down on some of the heat in the engine bay
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
runvsofthisbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Florida
Posts: 606
Re: Mach1 cam change?

I would check them out on Youtube personally. Longtubes will give you a little more power (10-20hp matched with a solid exhaust system). I drove with an off-road H pipe and it is very very throaty sound with the stock manifolds. Long tubes will almost always produce more power, but IMO the midpipe is where the sound comes from. IMO Off road = Violently loud and throaty, Prochamber = loud & throaty/muscle car sound.
__________________

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Cool, I'll take a look on YouTube to hopefully see the differences. This is helpful info, thanks to you both
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheJigShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sewell
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 262
H-pipes and prochambers honestly don't sound too different to me, IMO. Just as long as you don't get an x pipe. Personally I would say do the long tubes as well, for more of the sound. In addition, cammed 4V motors sound absolutely amazing. They're expensive but with cams and FR500 heads you'll be making a lot more power.
__________________
"Jig"
2014 Ford Focus ST (ST3, Tuxedo Black Metallic)
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
If all you want is bit more of a rumble sound!.. Then get a good O/R H-pipe and cat back system!.. And if you don't already a tuner then get one!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
If all you want is bit more of a rumble sound!.. Then get a good O/R H-pipe and cat back system!.. And if you don't already a tuner then get one!..
Yup, just want it to sound legit to the car. And, more toward traditional muscle car sound. I do plan to get a tuner in July. Got some good suggestions for H/pro chamber mid pipes above. I will need to replace my old Flowmaster cat back system cause it's basically straight pipe. Do you have cat back suggestions, keep same brand, etc?
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Yup, just want it to sound legit to the car. And, more toward traditional muscle car sound. I do plan to get a tuner in July. Got some good suggestions for H/pro chamber mid pipes above. I will need to replace my old Flowmaster cat back system cause it's basically straight pipe. Do you have cat back suggestions, keep same brand, etc?
Personally I hate FlowMaster!.. 1. Everybody has them!.. 2. Bad personal experience with them!.. Not just once but twice!.. Lol. I would check out CherryBomb Vortex Cat Back system!.. It's what I've got along with an O/R X-pipe and it has a nice rumble to it and very little, to no drone at all!... A buddy of mine has the same cat back but with a O/R H-pipe and it sounds just a bit more deeper than mine!.. He has an '02 GT and I have an '04 GT!..

Also I've had my system on for a little over two years and it looks and sounds just as good as new!.. My buddy has had his for about 4yrs and also no problems, and both of us our cars as DDs!.. That's also in Michigan weather!.. Lol.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Personally I hate FlowMaster!.. 1. Everybody has them!.. 2. Bad personal experience with them!.. Not just once but twice!.. Lol. I would check out CherryBomb Vortex Cat Back system!.. It's what I've got along with an O/R X-pipe and it has a nice rumble to it and very little, to no drone at all!... A buddy of mine has the same cat back but with a O/R H-pipe and it sounds just a bit more deeper than mine!.. He has an '02 GT and I have an '04 GT!..

Also I've had my system on for a little over two years and it looks and sounds just as good as new!.. My buddy has had his for about 4yrs and also no problems, and both of us our cars as DDs!.. That's also in Michigan weather!.. Lol.
Cool! I'll check them out. I'm sure the have something online to listen to. I'm sure YouTube will too. Thanks!
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
No problem bro!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« HID | 4.6 motor ? »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:22 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.