best plugs w/mild mods&sct - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
best plugs w/mild mods&sct

hey guys,
was wondering if any of you have any 1st hand experience and suggestions for new plugs on 04gt? i have a k&n cai w/70mm bbk mounted on stack plenum, dynomax ultraflo catback, and sct/bama tune(new 3.73 gears and possible o-r h pipe to come this summer).

problem is, i'm trying to alleviate some mild ping issues with the tune files... bama advised trying new plugs, basic copper motorcraft(or ngk's) as opposed to platinum, or iridium. i am due for a new fuel filter, and belt, otherwise engine in very good mech order! any advice appreciated.

incidentally i pulled 4 degrees global timing out, and that alleviated the pinging, but would rather not remove timing.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Run instep cooler NGK TR6 plugs that should help fix the problem. You will find most tuners use these plugs in many applications. I would also recommend installing a 180 thermostat
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: best plugs w/mild mods&sct

M-z,
Hey there!... actually, I did install a Stant 180 degree just 2 weeks ago(now that weather's gettin' warmer in the Northeast)

And, yup, I saw Brenspeed sells the NGK TR6 plugs also, so might be the way to go. Otherwise, I will try the stock Fram/Motorcraft 104 copper plugs (they're certainly cheap enough)

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
hey guys,
was wondering if any of you have any 1st hand experience and suggestions for new plugs on 04gt? i have a k&n cai w/70mm bbk mounted on stack plenum, dynomax ultraflo catback, and sct/bama tune(new 3.73 gears and possible o-r h pipe to come this summer).

problem is, i'm trying to alleviate some mild ping issues with the tune files... bama advised trying new plugs, basic copper motorcraft(or ngk's) as opposed to platinum, or iridium. i am due for a new fuel filter, and belt, otherwise engine in very good mech order! any advice appreciated.

incidentally i pulled 4 degrees global timing out, and that alleviated the pinging, but would rather not remove timing.
I would just replace them with the standard Motorcraft spark plugs, that we sell here:

Ford Motorcraft Mustang OEM Spark Plugs (99-04 GT) KIT||SP-493 - Free Shipping!

That, a good fuel filter change, a check around for vacuum leaks and you should be good to go! Make sure that you're filling up at a Sunoco, Shell or any brand-name gas station, as places like "Wawa", "Sheetz" and other convenience stores that sell gas often bid on older gas that doesn't come close to matching the octane rating they say on the pump.

Another really good idea would be to buy a can of "sea foam" and run that through the tank to clear out any deposits in the engine that could be lowering fuel quality.

Finally, clean out the throttle body and the intake tubing, look for oil residue. If the car is high mileage, it will often times push oil through the intake tract which will cause pinging/detonation. If it's really bad (on Mustangs at like 100k miles), you can add a catch can or oil separator and eliminate that issue.

Between all of those things, I can pretty much assure you that your pinging problem will disappear.

Hope this helps! Hit me up if you have absolutely any other questions at all. I'm sure you'll be happy to hit the throttle without hearing any noise other than a smooth engine sound!

Chris
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to reply! Just decided to call it a day(it's gorgeous out!), so will take a look at all the 'tubing' and 'valves' around the TB/intake. I really only put the stuff together over the past couple months and it was real clean looking then, but will double check.

My car just turned 58k, and I am only luke warm about Seafoam-ing the engine at this time. I do use Lucas Fuel conditioner fairly regularly. ( BUT, I would only put some kind of sludge remover in a motor's oil as a last resort.) Point being, little reluctant about additives in general, that's all.

Vacuum leak I do doubt, so will definitely start with the overdue fuel filter and plugs. Seriously, thanks again for taking the time to chime in... must get out there, soak up some of that Vitamin-D, and turn a ratchet!
Joe
Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to ask do you still have the the original plugs in the car
Old 05-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yes.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla
I forgot to ask do you still have the the original plugs in the car
Have you ever had a broken connector on the COP harness? I want to change my plugs, but it's making my a$$ pucker just thinking about that.

I took a look on the drivers side and noticed the one was broke. Fortunately it would stay together when the COP was fully seated.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
yes.
Ok yea definitely put the stock plugs back in. No need to change to a cooler heat range. You simply need a tune up. You will notice once you put new plugs in how much crisper the start ups will be. Make sure to check your plug gaps.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Have you ever had a broken connector on the COP harness? I want to change my plugs, but it's making my a$$ pucker just thinking about that.

I took a look on the drivers side and noticed the one was broke. Fortunately it would stay together when the COP was fully seated.
man, that's too funny that you asked... I broke the first f'n one i touched 2 weeks ago. i decided to at least take a look at 1 or 2 of my plugs and make sure didn't look like i was fouling them. i simply GENTLY pressed the tab on the COP connector, and it just fell in my hand! I MEAN THE FIRST ONE! jesus... anyway, haven't done the rest, but all i can say is just be extra careful, and don't be surprised if they break. they are cheap, frail, and have brittled with temp changes and time i guess.

if anyone else knows of a fix (or prevention measures!), please let us know for future reference! (don't feel like buying and installing a whole electrical harness for something as stupid as that)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

man, that's too funny that you asked... I broke the first f'n one i touched 2 weeks ago. i decided to at least take a look at 1 or 2 of my plugs and make sure didn't look like i was fouling them. i simply GENTLY pressed the tab on the COP connector, and it just fell in my hand! I MEAN THE FIRST ONE! jesus... anyway, haven't done the rest, but all i can say is just be extra careful, and don't be surprised if they break. they are cheap, frail, and have brittled with temp changes and time i guess.

if anyone else knows of a fix (or prevention measures!), please let us know for future reference! (don't feel like buying and installing a whole electrical harness for something as stupid as that)
Yeah I did a search w/google for a replacement harness and had effin no luck! I was gonna go ahead order passenger and driver side harnesses cause I know when I get my booger diggers in there, more will be broken.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i'll try my local junkie and see if they sell them and what they charge (he's usually pretty reasonable)... i'd be willing to bet nobody makes a replacement for them, it would have to be ordered new from a dealer. OH! just dawned on me, one other idea would be to check craigslist and find a guy parting out a wreck or blown motor. (see... guess 2 heads REALLY are better than one!)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

In all of my Mustangs I have owned the first think I do is remove the plugs and put Motorcraft Dual Plat in there....Thats all I will use....NGK is good too but that my 2nd choice.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

s-s,
do you run the sct tune on your cars???
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, I have a SCT excal 3 on the GT, will have one on the cobra soon after I get the mods I want done and dyno tuned
Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Yep, I have a SCT excal 3 on the GT, will have one on the cobra soon after I get the mods I want done and dyno tuned
These?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The dude at Oreilly Auto told me they were for 2V or 4V engines and should have .054 gap.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The dude at Oreilly Auto told me they were for 2V or 4V engines and should have .054 gap.
Actually those are the single platinum the dual platinum are sp448 but the ones you have will work and are good ....and I do beleave that is correct the should be set at 54 if you have you factory sticker on your hood or right above the rad housing it should tell you. Thats all I use and NGK and I will stand by those to brands over anything else.

Oh, just what I have seen and know about alu heads on these cars you will DEF thanks me later but Please use anti sieze on the plugs. Not only will it help taken them out next time it will keep the plugs from backing out and causing a headache later, I worked a auto shop and auto zone and you wouldnt beleave how many people came in there asking why I had a spark plug shoot out of the head and I got this funny noise and engine running like crap. Out of all the advice I give, trust me on that one....
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by amchrisrose

I would just replace them with the standard Motorcraft spark plugs, that we sell here:

Ford Motorcraft Mustang OEM Spark Plugs (99-04 GT) KIT||SP-493 - Free Shipping!

That, a good fuel filter change, a check around for vacuum leaks and you should be good to go! Make sure that you're filling up at a Sunoco, Shell or any brand-name gas station, as places like "Wawa", "Sheetz" and other convenience stores that sell gas often bid on older gas that doesn't come close to matching the octane rating they say on the pump.

Another really good idea would be to buy a can of "sea foam" and run that through the tank to clear out any deposits in the engine that could be lowering fuel quality.

Finally, clean out the throttle body and the intake tubing, look for oil residue. If the car is high mileage, it will often times push oil through the intake tract which will cause pinging/detonation. If it's really bad (on Mustangs at like 100k miles), you can add a catch can or oil separator and eliminate that issue.

Between all of those things, I can pretty much assure you that your pinging problem will disappear.

Hope this helps! Hit me up if you have absolutely any other questions at all. I'm sure you'll be happy to hit the throttle without hearing any noise other than a smooth engine sound!

Chris
I work at sheetz, and even i mostly use gas from bp Haha.
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Actually those are the single platinum the dual platinum are sp448 but the ones you have will work and are good ....and I do beleave that is correct the should be set at 54 if you have you factory sticker on your hood or right above the rad housing it should tell you. Thats all I use and NGK and I will stand by those to brands over anything else.

Oh, just what I have seen and know about alu heads on these cars you will DEF thanks me later but Please use anti sieze on the plugs. Not only will it help taken them out next time it will keep the plugs from backing out and causing a headache later, I worked a auto shop and auto zone and you wouldnt beleave how many people came in there asking why I had a spark plug shoot out of the head and I got this funny noise and engine running like crap. Out of all the advice I give, trust me on that one....
Thanks man! I also heard to change then when the engine is still kinda warm. Have you heard that as well? I plan to change them later this evening. It's hotter than a mofo outside here in Brownsburg, IN today and my car is just running like crap! I hope this help.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You can change them when the engine is warm, but not too hott to where you cant touch the block of the engine. I have heard that but make sure you do it when the engine is warm/cool to where you can touch it and not get burnt. Thats where the anti seize comes in, most of the time I change mine cold esp when its hott outside. Hott huh? I bet its nothing compared to here in the desert homie lol....Send me a pm after you change the plugs and let me know if it fixed it or not and with more info on your car far as what you have done to it, miles, and such.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
You can change them when the engine is warm, but not too hott to where you cant touch the block of the engine. I have heard that but make sure you do it when the engine is warm/cool to where you can touch it and not get burnt. Thats where the anti seize comes in, most of the time I change mine cold esp when its hott outside. Hott huh? I bet its nothing compared to here in the desert homie lol....Send me a pm after you change the plugs and let me know if it fixed it or not and with more info on your car far as what you have done to it, miles, and such.
Right on. And no doubt, it has to hotter in your neck of the woods
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

oh yes.....105 degress by 7am
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
i went back to ngk 3403 platnium, I ran motocraft didnt last amonth all last year I ran ngk and lasted 5 months with my tune and mods
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

i have never heard of plugs not 'lasting' 6 months! platinum plugs under normal driving can go 80, or even 100k miles! under more spirited driving, even in a performance car, should still be able to get 50K miles out of 'em, no???!

what you got mounted on top of that motor anyway?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
I only have a 93tune with catless x-pipe,magnaflows, cai, accel coils but there still stock voltage, is my driving conditions that probebly making me change plugs every 5-6 months
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, was gonna say, you must make a ****load of passes at a track to burn up platinum plugs in 5 months...
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Did my plug change and am now having issues. I started a new thread, but I should have put it in here. Here goes the thread...

Is this bad?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

just sent quik note and ph # on your other post; remember to double-check all your connections first!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
just sent quik note and ph # on your other post; remember to double-check all your connections first!
I found out ignition coil D was causing the fault. And found out that is cylinder 4. I swapped the COP with another and the problem went away. I must have had a bad connection at the harness or didn't have the boot on good. At least II got that fixed! Woohoo! I appreciate your offer to help and hope you shoot par today! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitochulo69 View Post
I only have a 93tune with catless x-pipe,magnaflows, cai, accel coils but there still stock voltage, is my driving conditions that probebly making me change plugs every 5-6 months
ive got the same stuff and I do alot of passes at the track and mine last longer then that....sure you arent running too rich and fauling the plugs out?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

hey azure,
glad you fixed it! how'd you find out 'which' one it was? code reader?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #33
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
hey azure,
glad you fixed it! how'd you find out 'which' one it was? code reader?
Yup, the code said ignition coil D. Every book I looked at had numbers on the coil. So I got all CSI on it and figured that had to be #4. I swapped it with #1 and booya, the problem disappeared.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, just read the other post... cool breeze!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
yeah, just read the other post... cool breeze!
Yup! I do need to pickup a tuner though. Thanks for your help bro.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT