first car ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
first car ideas

i think ive come up with an idea in order to get a running stang. first i gotta get a job ( i have kroger in mind) second im goin to the junk yard and getting a 4.6 engine and im going to rebuild it well take it apart and make sure everythings ok. next im going to get a 2003 gt frame and body with everything except engine that im going to get from the same junk yardand im gonna put it together and im gonna make the stang look like a dream after i paint it and put american racing rims on it so tell me what you think it can either be supporting or unsupporting because i wanna know what you guys think
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
I think it's ambitious and you better have something else to drive cause working at Kroger it's gonna take a while...
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
how long do you think that it will take

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

working at kroger
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96
how long do you think that it will take

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

working at kroger
Depends on how many other bills you have and how much you like to do outside your home. I work at SAMs club. I know I make more than most people at Kroger and I also am aware of the fact that I have more bills and responsibilities than you (3 cars 2 are paid off, 4 kids, a dog, a wife, cell phones, ect.). But I bring in about 1800 a month after my va bennifits and working. Even on that amount if I was single and living on my own in an apartment with utilities, cell phone, and car insurance (based off you buying a cheap beater and not having a car payment), food, gas, ect. You would be looking at having 4-800 left depending on how much you eat and drive...and that also means that you stay at home every day after work and twiddle your thumbs!

With that being said. If you are going to start by buying a block an building it, you might as well build it for forced indiction (let's face it we are all gonna do it ).

So, engine from JY-800-1200$

Forged internals-800-1000

Good heads/rebuilt P&P heads w/cam-2200-3000

Arp studs (I'm not sure so I'm gonna guess) 4-500 for all studs being replaced.

The list goes on and on....so imma say your looking at about at least 6 months (if you live with your folks still) to a year (if you have your own place) just to build the engine on a Kroger paycheck. You are better off just buying one and waiting till it's paid off and you have a better job to build a engine
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
well i dont pay bills for one reason im 15 haha so yea i dont have very many uhh bills to pay thank god but so it sounds like its gonna take a seriously long time off of krogers might as well wait till i get my license and work for my dad ( we own a electrical supply store) and i would work as a delivery person making 10 bucks an hour
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96
well i dont pay bills for one reason im 15 haha so yea i dont have very many uhh bills to pay thank god but so it sounds like its gonna take a seriously long time off of krogers might as well wait till i get my license and work for my dad ( we own a electrical supply store) and i would work as a delivery person making 10 bucks an hour
That sounds like a better deal...I guarantee working at Kroger at 16 your looking at no more than 20 hours a week at probably minimum wage...sooo what $150 after taxes a week??
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
yea. if it sounded like i was being a smart elec i wasnt tryin to be i pissed someother guy on here off for being one so im not gonna be a smart elec on here. but anyway yea that would be a better deal BUT! i could only work in the summers due to the law the job would be considered as a hazardest location but im a pretty strong kid so i wouldent have a problem lifting pipe or anything like that. but when i turn 18 i can and will work there full time
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96
yea. if it sounded like i was being a smart elec i wasnt tryin to be i pissed someother guy on here off for being one so im not gonna be a smart elec on here. but anyway yea that would be a better deal BUT! i could only work in the summers due to the law the job would be considered as a hazardest location but im a pretty strong kid so i wouldent have a problem lifting pipe or anything like that. but when i turn 18 i can and will work there full time
Yeah, I'd talk to your dad about what you want. If he owns the shop he can help you budget the $ you get over the summer so you can pay for the stand all year!
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
well its my grandpas store but my dad and uncle run it and grandpas retired so i could talk to my dad about it so if i were to only still make 10-20 dollars an hour how long would it take just an estimate im not gonna make you bring an estimate
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: first car ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
i think ive come up with an idea in order to get a running stang. first i gotta get a job ( i have kroger in mind) second im goin to the junk yard and getting a 4.6 engine and im going to rebuild it well take it apart and make sure everythings ok. next im going to get a 2003 gt frame and body with everything except engine that im going to get from the same junk yardand im gonna put it together and im gonna make the stang look like a dream after i paint it and put american racing rims on it so tell me what you think it can either be supporting or unsupporting because i wanna know what you guys think
You sound very motivated! If it were me, I'd get the job at Kroger, you can always put in your two week notice when you turn 16. You'll probably get minimum wage, but it builds a resume, and gets you some different work expereince. Just save those pay checks you'll be glad you did.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

You sound very motivated! If it were me, I'd get the job at Kroger, you can always put in your two week notice when you turn 16. You'll probably get minimum wage, but it builds a resume, and gets you some different work expereince. Just save those pay checks you'll be glad you did.
which i am very motivated considering this is gonna be my first car yes i am very motivated
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: first car ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post
which i am very motivated considering this is gonna be my first car yes i am very motivated
It'll drive you nuts until you get that car. It did me. Yeah I'd get the job at kroger 15 you got nothing to loose! Hey even if a good part of it goes to other things money, is money.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96

which i am very motivated considering this is gonna be my first car yes i am very motivated
I'm not trying to tell you not to get the job at Kroger or to build our own car what so ever....but being 15 and trying to start this project now will take a long time and you might loose interest because of lack of funds and length of the project due to lack of funds. The job at Kroger is a good job and does help build a resume. Do what ever you want to do and do not let people talk you out of it. Its your car and your dream. But also with that being said I remember when I was 15-16 and saw the new edge mustang emerge from the depths of Detroit and fell in love. I told myself the first time I saw that pitch black new edge rumble by my window at kings island in Cincinnati Ohio as we were going to park for a day at the amusement park. Even my absolutely beautiful girlfriend, who is now my wife and the mother of my children, could not take my attention way from that beautiful stallion. I told myself then and there that I would have one of those cars. It took me over 10 years from that date to get that car. Now I do and I'll never give it up. You have some time, THINK about what you want your goals to be and go from there. I honestly think it would be easier and cheaper in the long run for you to buy a operation vehicle that you are absolutely in love with and while you are ale to drive it find and rebuild a engine. That way you have the love of driving the car and you are only without your car for max a few days while you swap engines....my .02$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2917065398.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	50939  
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
and i respect those 0.02$. i just want a cool and fast car when i pull into the school parking lot i can say loud and proud that i built it and i can put it in neutral and rev it and be like yea thats right listen to this monster

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

nice stang by the way. did u ever think about lowering it?
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96
and i respect those 0.02$. i just want a cool and fast car when i pull into the school parking lot i can say loud and proud that i built it and i can put it in neutral and rev it and be like yea thats right listen to this monster

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

nice stang by the way. did u ever think about lowering it?
Yes, remember that 4 kids thing I talked about earlier....it takes $ that I just don't have ATM you may get it done by your junior year....depends on how hard you work at it and how fast you make money. Are you going to go to a vocational school for jr/sr years?
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Robbiemustang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 622
you mean like a tech acadamie where they have like auto body and auto mechanics yeah im going to one when i get into my junoir and senoir year

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

and yeah i forgot about you having four kids
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang_Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairchild AFB
Region: Washington
Posts: 686
Re: first car ideas

I say save up for a while, Pay for a beater stang, plant that SOB in a secure location and work on it All you want whenever you want. As far as making money goes, it All depends on how motivated to make the Stang your dream car. Save up every check, all your lawn care money, Anything and just spend it wisely. I'd say Wait on building up your Stang from the Engine Out until you have a pretty secure job and Time and Resources to do it RIGHT. I Almost lost interest in building up an engine because it just took to freakin long to do. I wasn't really making any money and it was just taking up space... I'm in the military now so it kinda helps getting projects done sooner lol but at any rate.. That's my .02
__________________
K&N CAI, Cobra 18" Rims, Cobra Brakes, More Mods to come!
Mustang_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2002VertGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness
I say save up for a while, Pay for a beater stang, plant that SOB in a secure location and work on it All you want whenever you want. As far as making money goes, it All depends on how motivated to make the Stang your dream car. Save up every check, all your lawn care money, Anything and just spend it wisely. I'd say Wait on building up your Stang from the Engine Out until you have a pretty secure job and Time and Resources to do it RIGHT. I Almost lost interest in building up an engine because it just took to freakin long to do. I wasn't really making any money and it was just taking up space... I'm in the military now so it kinda helps getting projects done sooner lol but at any rate.. That's my .02
+1 that's what I was talking about....building a engine for 1-3 years with no car to enjoy might tire you out!
__________________
2004 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew, 5.4l, Black/Arizona Beige (daily driver)
2002 Mustang GT Convertible, triple black, mach 1000 system (Summer Car)
2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 xcab (sold to cousin)

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vegas97gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 190
I agree I did that in high school had a project to big for me to handle that i couldnt finish then so i was stuck driving my beater around. I'd say get something that runs and drives already and just work on it as you go that way you are enjoying it. Like a fox body or an sn95 doesn't have to be in rough shape but if your gonna fix it up it's always nicer to get something that's running to give you a taste. I did the whole trade school thing for autobody and I loved it, I do body work for a living now it was a great way to learn and get expirience but as far as working in a grocery store I also did that for 3 years in high school and I do have to say I put a lot of time in and didn't feel like I made that much a few friends of mine worked at shoe stores at the mall for commission an they made bank. Just some advice because I've been there and done that.
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:55 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.