High mileage tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
High mileage tune?

Hello fellow mustang lovers. My name is Micah and I'm from Murfreesboro tn. I have a quick question. I have a 2000 mustang gt I bought off the showroom floor with around 175000 miles on it and it's an automatic with 3.73 gears. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to get a bama tune because of the mileage. The car is stock except for the flowmasters. Thanks for any help in advance.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33
Hello fellow mustang lovers. My name is Micah and I'm from Murfreesboro tn. I have a quick question. I have a 2000 mustang gt I bought off the showroom floor with around 175000 miles on it and it's an automatic with 3.73 gears. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to get a bama tune because of the mileage. The car is stock except for the flowmasters. Thanks for any help in advance.
If it's running real good then no!.. As a mater of fact I would encourage it!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: High mileage tune?

definitely GET! like e-t said, as long as the beast is running good... make sure you check everything out, and get some good fluids in there, and you (and your NEW car) will be happy!

let us know how you make out and if you need any help... CONGRATS!
p.s just thought, b4 you change the tranny fluid, check with someone or try to find out if it had been replaced or rebuilt, or still original. sometimes new fluid in an older tranny can 'bring up' new problems. if it looks REALLY clean, and you have no leaks or unusual noises/shifting, might be better to leave be.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

You can tune at any mileage. As said make sure your fluids are clean and the levels correct.

Even though your car only has flowmasters and gears, you'll see some decent gains with a 91/93 race tune. Bama claims ~20hp 20tq for 99-04 2v GT's on a 93 race tune, so that's pretty good for the price. Plus you'll be able to adjust your ECU/speedo for those 3.73's.

One of the biggest differences will be in the way the auto shifts and feels. The shifts will be more aggressive, firm and performance oriented. These improved shift parameters will also help the life of your transmission...less tolerance for slipping and messy shifts that could reduce the life of the transmission.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks for the input. I bought the car brand new so its a 1 owner
The gears were 3.73 from stock.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

a plus to everything said above you could also change a few things like the PVC valve and fuel filter....Pull a plug out and see what the end looks like. It prolly wouldnt be a bad idea to change the oil to synthetic either, KN air filter as well if it dont already have it. Most def get a tune....
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well i do the normal maintenance. I always use ford synthetic blend 5w20 oil. I change the plugs every 30,000 miles with motocraft oem plugs. I put in a new fuel pump and filter 3,000 miles ago. Pcv valve as well as the IAC have been changed numerous times. At 125,000 miles the carrier bearing went out so i had all the bearings in the rear axle replaced. Transmission is an auto and i have changed fluid and filter every 50,000. Sorry to sound so anal but this is my baby. I also have replaced 5 of the C.O.Ps. I just wanted to make sure that a tune wouldn't be too much for the old girl. Also I heard that the 03-04 Cobra brakes were a direct fit upgrade on my 2000 gt. Can anybody confirm that? If so seems like all i would have to do is go to autoparts place and get 04 cobra front rotors, calipers, pads, and braided lines.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT