Need Help with Check Engine light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Region: Georgia
Need Help with Check Engine light

Hey im a new owner of a 1996 Mustang GT with 105k miles. I purchased the car about 3 weeks ago. The guy before me done some mods to it and it includes bbk cold air intake, msd ignition coils, ford racing wires, Tubular K member, ford racing coil springs, 4:10 gears, short shifter, Cobra r hood, 17 wheels and the exhaust is another story and a problem. Well he lived in a county where he didnt have to pass emission so of course he removed the Cats but he put single chamber flow masters where the cats go and then had magnaflow mufflers on it to. Well I do have to pass emissions so I purchased some used cats they said they were OEM and they had four converters on it. I installed them and had the muffler shop run new pipes with the single chamber flowmasters. Well I erased the Check Engine light codes and drove for about 60 miles and it came back on. I erased them again to make sure and the light came back on with in 10 miles now. Well the codes are saying the after cats sensors are back, I think thats what it is saying, here are the (codes P0136) bank 1 sensor 2 sensor curcuit malfuntion and (P0161) bank 2 sensor 2. I dont know if running the car with no cats ruined the sensors or what, I just dont want to spend a hundred bucks on the sensors and it still give me problems. I looked into the MIL eliminators but if the sensors are bad then they wouldnt work anyways. Any advice on what I an and shoud do to make sure of the problem before I buy anything? I really like the car but it does me no good if I cant drive it becasue of emission problems. Any help with be great. ANother issue that I have it when im backing up and turning the wheel I hear a niose that sounds like my wheels are scrubbing but they are not I checked the inner fender wells and no scrub. Could this be a steering issue? I dont really notice it when im going straight and turning the wheels. Sorry the post is so long

dch61407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Need Help with Check Engine light

have the code ran to ensure it is the exhaust, if it is then the o2 sensors sound bad, you can get a tuner to cut em off or you can probably use MIL eliminators... but double check on the MIL eliminators.

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Region: Massachusetts
Re: Need Help with Check Engine light

hey hows it goin. i would have to second the o2 sensors. As for the squeaking, mine was doing the same not to long ago and all i did was turn the tires back n forth spraying some industrial/penatrating lube in all the bushings in my springs and steer joints. Its quiet now so i guess i'll see how long it lasts.
00 gt
C&L intake
Mach chin spoiler (still sitting in garage)
silverstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

check engine