Problem with Cruise Control - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Region: North Dakota
Problem with Cruise Control

Hi there, I have a 2004 Ford Mustang GT convertible with the 5 speed transmission. I recently purchased it and noticed the cruise control doesn't work. Checked all the fuses and they are fine. Then yesterday I forgot to push in the clutch pedal to start the car and it started anyways. I checked the electrical diagrams and it looks like the clutch safety switch could be the problem. I looked at the switch underneath the dash and saw there are two electrical ports on the switch but mine only has one connector in it. Is that normal? I looked around and could not find a connector just sitting around not connected to anything. I figure since the switch is 20 bucks Ill just get one and replace it and see what happens but I am also open to anyones advice and suggestions. Thanks.
jecaron728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Problem with Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecaron728 View Post
Hi there, I have a 2004 Ford Mustang GT convertible with the 5 speed transmission. I recently purchased it and noticed the cruise control doesn't work. Checked all the fuses and they are fine. Then yesterday I forgot to push in the clutch pedal to start the car and it started anyways. I checked the electrical diagrams and it looks like the clutch safety switch could be the problem. I looked at the switch underneath the dash and saw there are two electrical ports on the switch but mine only has one connector in it. Is that normal? I looked around and could not find a connector just sitting around not connected to anything. I figure since the switch is 20 bucks Ill just get one and replace it and see what happens but I am also open to anyones advice and suggestions. Thanks.
mine dont work in my 98 gt hasnt since i got it, ive been wondering how to fix it myself
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It could be the module for the cruise control....
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Where is the cruise module located??
Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Man im not at home right now and havent been for nearly a year so I cant remember but I think its on the driver side mounted near the fuse box. What i would do is go to ford and see if you can talk to a master tech and see what the common prolly is when the CC goes out on a mustang. Mine doesnt work anymore and I have a feeling its the module but im not getting it fixed because most modules like that you have to take it to ford and have it programmed. Also, this became a problem when my anti theft module when out and wouldnt allow the car to run so I had the dyno shop disengage it because it was going to end up costly me over 1500 bucks to get fixed, thats when the CC stop working too so I would google it and see if you can find something far as test you can do before buying parts on a HOPE it fixes it.

here I found this:
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t776248-99...cruise_control

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t776248-99...cruise_control
Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
I hope it isn't the cruise control module for obvious reasons. Im hoping that since the clutch safety switch obviously isn't working due to the fact I can start the engine without pressing in the clutch, that it might be the reason the cruise isn't working. Everything I have read so far states that the clutch safety switch works similarly to the brake switch in deactivating the cruise control so when you press the clutch or the brake the cruise turns itself off. Im thinking the car thinks that the clutch is continuously pressed in. Im just hoping this other electrical port on my clutch safety switch doesn't actually have a connector that supposed to go to it cuz if so someone before me cut it out and was intentionally by passing the safety switch for either remote start or something and then I would have to try and figure out what they did and fix their mess.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecaron728 View Post
I hope it isn't the cruise control module for obvious reasons. Im hoping that since the clutch safety switch obviously isn't working due to the fact I can start the engine without pressing in the clutch, that it might be the reason the cruise isn't working. Everything I have read so far states that the clutch safety switch works similarly to the brake switch in deactivating the cruise control so when you press the clutch or the brake the cruise turns itself off. Im thinking the car thinks that the clutch is continuously pressed in. Im just hoping this other electrical port on my clutch safety switch doesn't actually have a connector that supposed to go to it cuz if so someone before me cut it out and was intentionally by passing the safety switch for either remote start or something and then I would have to try and figure out what they did and fix their mess.
i agree with you, mine is a little different though cuz its a automatic....when you found out what it is shoot me a email and let me know what you found out because I want to get mine fixed treywilmoth@aol.com
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm at work right now with my truck..post a pic of the clutch switch and I'll check mine when I get home (02 very gt).

Also if you look at the throttle body you will see the cc cable...follow that to the cc module and you will find it!!

I think it's probably the clutch sensor though.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
I'm at work right now with my truck..post a pic of the clutch switch and I'll check mine when I get home (02 very gt).

Also if you look at the throttle body you will see the cc cable...follow that to the cc module and you will find it!!

on mine though whatcha think?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Here is a picture of one from Napa, it will be on the top of the clutch pedal arm, should be easy to spot. Mine has one connector attached to it and the other port has no connector. Let me know if yours has both or just one.

Name:   103627.jpg
Views: 4045
Size:  5.7 KB
Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
i agree with you, mine is a little different though cuz its a automatic....when you found out what it is shoot me a email and let me know what you found out because I want to get mine fixed treywilmoth@aol.com
No problem, also AutoZone has wiring diagrams on its website that show the cruise control setup so if you wanted to check those out.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sorry it took me so long..my 02 gt only has one connection on it as well...not sure what your issue is

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
So before you guys spend money on anything, crawl under the dash and make sure the brake pedal position sensor is connected to the brake pedal still. Its a little plastic slider thing that snaps onto another plastic piece fixed to the pedal. It was my issue. The next step would be the module. A fun check to make sure the on/off buttons aare working is to.take the cover off the buttons and press both at the same time, if there working then the horn will go off. 9/10 its the brake position sensor or a fuse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT