Idle re-learn - works! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Idle re-learn - works!

So I've had some issues of late where idle would be inconsistent when driving. It would not die or really even seemed like a bad thing. I thought it was the characteristics of the 4.6L 4V. Anyway, I came across a thread talking about the new 5.0s needing a idle re-learn. I was curious and investigated. Apparently this is something the 4.6L Mustangs can perform. After I did the procedure, my car ran so much better. Also, when switching gears the idle stays close to where your were at when you put in the clutch. So, your RPMs don't drop suddenly when you put the clutch in making it a much smoother transition into the next gear. Plus idle is smoother with AC on or off. Here is what I did...

Disconnected NEG from battery for 30 minutes.

Reconnected battery and started car letting in idle while the engine gets to temperature, then wait one minute.

Turn the AC to Max a little over one minute, then turn off.

Then go drive the car for about 10 miles.

This made a dramatic impact on idle smoothness and drivability with my car. No more herky jerky driving and odd idle situations.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Ya know, I keep forgetting that my car is like 8 years old. Everybody prolly already knows about this. Oh well, my wife still thinks I'm cool!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Ya know, I keep forgetting that my car is like 8 years old. Everybody prolly already knows about this. Oh well, my wife still thinks I'm cool!
It helps me! I might try this when I get home, hopefully it does something for a V6...
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Idle re-learn - works!

copied onto Iphone. Thanks
Rogue Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It does it for every late model Ford vehicle. Start with a cleaning of your IAC and MAF, with the battery disconnected as you work. Usually fixes idle issues.

You crack me up Azure. Ever seen a Key on Engine running test performed? Pretty interesting what Ford worked into their vehicles that the other guys neglected to.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
It does it for every late model Ford vehicle. Start with a cleaning of your IAC and MAF, with the battery disconnected as you work. Usually fixes idle issues.

You crack me up Azure. Ever seen a Key on Engine running test performed? Pretty interesting what Ford worked into their vehicles that the other guys neglected to.
Hadn't heard of that test. Are you setting me up for a good one?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No, its very real. If you have an advanced scantool, our cars have a self-diagnostic program built into them. You start the motor, start the test. Turn the steering wheel to test p/s pressure, press your brakes, and press your clutch(only things it can't do) The car tests it's idle (revs itself), evap system, etc on its own. Fun to watch the first time "its alivvveee"
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
No, its very real. If you have an advanced scantool, our cars have a self-diagnostic program built into them. You start the motor, start the test. Turn the steering wheel to test p/s pressure, press your brakes, and press your clutch(only things it can't do) The car tests it's idle (revs itself), evap system, etc on its own. Fun to watch the first time "its alivvveee"
Cool man, gonna hafts try that. I'll setup my wife! I'll tell her it booted me out of the car then started doing all this.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Cool man, gonna hafts try that. I'll setup my wife! I'll tell her it booted me out of the car then started doing all this.
You'll need a professional scantool or a buddy with a shop to initiate the test but yeah i've gotten some funny looks from people that haven't seen one performed. Its mostly an "i think I fixed it, lets see if it throws that code again"
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

You'll need a professional scantool or a buddy with a shop to initiate the test but yeah i've gotten some funny looks from people that haven't seen one performed. Its mostly an "i think I fixed it, lets see if it throws that code again"
The tuners just read and clear codes, right?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yup.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Wow will definately try this because I just thought I had a weird idle cause my oil change was coming up thank you.
02_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The idle reset is handy and it does make a difference. You get the same thing when you throw on a new tune. Car always feels better for the first couple hundred miles...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
you can also if you have a tuner in your idle at drive increase it by around 800 to 900rpm so that wen u shifting gears it thosent drop to fast and u shift more easy
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Does leaving the neg battery terminal off for thirty minutes get rid of a tune and go back to stock if you have one?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Does leaving the neg battery terminal off for thirty minutes get rid of a tune and go back to stock if you have one?
No, the tune i stored in non-volatile EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) and can only be erased/reflashed if the PCM is commanded to do so and an 18 V supply is applied to pin 13 of the OBD2 connector.

Also it only takes the battery being disconnected for 5 to 7 minutes to clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory), volatile RAM in which learned parameters such as idle and long term fuel trims, etc, are stored.

It is important to realise that clearing the KAM will also reset the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitors and cause DTC P1000 (I/M tests incomplete) until these tests have been completed. In some states having code P1000 present is an immediate emission test fail.

Here is the complete I/M monitor drive cycle from the shop manual, used to get the adaptively learned parameters back to their nominal values as soon as possible...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
No, the tune i stored in non-volatile EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) and can only be erased/reflashed if the PCM is commanded to do so and an 18 V supply is applied to pin 13 of the OBD2 connector.

Also it only takes the battery being disconnected for 5 to 7 minutes to clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory), volatile RAM in which learned parameters such as idle and long term fuel trims, etc, are stored.

It is important to realise that clearing the KAM will also reset the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitors and cause DTC P1000 (I/M tests incomplete) until these tests have been completed. In some states having code P1000 present is an immediate emission test fail.

Here is the complete I/M monitor drive cycle from the shop manual, used to get the adaptively learned parameters back to their nominal values as soon as possible...
Good info. Thanks for the detailed post and link. Helps a lot.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
When in the world did u come back to the forum? Lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Oh never mind this is an old thread lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
When in the world did u come back to the forum? Lol
They lifted my ban in September for good behavior.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Im like 2 years late, but im gonna try it out on my 2v. Kinda glad this got dug up, cuz i hadnt seen it before when i only browsed this site.

can anyone confirm how necessary the 30 minute wait is? Or will pressing the brake pedal a few times to help drain the power for a few minutes do the same thing? I should probably be patient and do this tommorow and not right after work. lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #23
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Im like 2 years late, but im gonna try it out on my 2v. Kinda glad this got dug up, cuz i hadnt seen it before when i only browsed this site.

can anyone confirm how necessary the 30 minute wait is? Or will pressing the brake pedal a few times to help drain the power for a few minutes do the same thing? I should probably be patient and do this tommorow and not right after work. lol.

I'd say cliffyk is probably right, 8-10 minutes should be plenty long.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
Old 11-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

tried it out on mine, and after a 10 mile drive, the hidden code was gone and done.

but i also figured something else out and ill post it in another thread as well. long sotry short, the screw on the throttle body had been holding the throttle plate open a bit since i had the car. fixed that then did the re learn method. and bam. car runs awesome.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The throttle stop screw is supposed to hold the plate open a bit--here is why and the proper procedure for setting it...

Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

yep. Your guide was how i got the idea to check it out. (great wealth of info) I had to loosen about 4 turns to get it to 0.010" with a gauge. the turn it one full turn.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
yep. Your guide was how i got the idea to check it out. (great wealth of info) I had to loosen about 4 turns to get it to 0.010" with a gauge. the turn it one full turn.

I have seen this a number of times. Many--even many who should know better--think it is an idle adjustment screw...

Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I have seen this a number of times. Many--even many who should know better--think it is an idle adjustment screw...

We all really appreciate that you share your knowledge. Thanks!

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
You are quite welcome, I had a stroke in May and have finally started to feel more like doing things...

Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
You are quite welcome, I had a stroke in May and have finally started to feel more like doing things...

Dang, I didn't know about this! I'm so glad you are feeling better.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Quote:
I agree totally. that website was a goldmine of knowledge for a car I want to take care of and keep for a long time. Thanks. I look forward to future discussions with you guys on this forum.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT