97 GT 32V Swap - Page 10 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #316
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Crazy it's only ~35lbs. Yup, I think I've heard that from some other members. Maximum Motorsports, I heard, was the only one that even mentions its good for DD use. Don't quote me on that though.
The issue is the the body is more apt to twist under driving loads. Which maybe corrected with extra bracing and that maybe swell on a track where the car's operation limited, but on the daily road, drivabilty is a must. If your car is driven 80 track 20 road then it might be worth it but even 50/50 isn't a real benifit. The draw back to a turbo system to me is the Tube K-Member.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #317
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
The tubular kmember would be stronger than they factory kmember.... The only kmember that wouldn't be recommended for daily driving is the chromoly ones, and that's because they will fracture with continuous vibrations from the road, they make the tube k's out of alot stronger material than the factory stamped k.... Plus you get the benifit of the saved weight and you get a ton of extra room which makes the normal job of getting to bolts that just out of reach alot easier and accessible
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #318
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428
The tubular kmember would be stronger than they factory kmember.... The only kmember that wouldn't be recommended for daily driving is the chromoly ones, and that's because they will fracture with continuous vibrations from the road, they make the tube k's out of alot stronger material than the factory stamped k.... Plus you get the benifit of the saved weight and you get a ton of extra room which makes the normal job of getting to bolts that just out of reach alot easier and accessible
Haven't seen any k member aft to see 200k without some tweeking. And yes that stamped peice is very stout. Steel is steel (ex. Chome moly) but as stated 35lbs isn't a lot. The room well.... how many times are you going to swap headers. (If you build it right you do it once) Me being a mechanic (not as much anymore) have an issue with 2 bolts and that's it. (Motor mounts when on jack stands) other than that no issues. Rooms great but I'll pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #319
Registered Member
Regular

Why is it people insist on passing bad info. When you put a 4v motor in a GT you do not need to up a radiator. Its the same one. Or better yet, you have to fabricate so much stuff. I didn't fabricate a thing besides my water tube under the manifold.(that was because I did not remove the nipple and use my GT's.) But man I'm so sick of reading bad posts. I made a write up even wth photos and great info. Granted its not the best format and I'm working on it but still its there. Hell there is this thread even. Just blown steam!! Having my stang withdrawals.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #320
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post
Why is it people insist on passing bad info. When you put a 4v motor in a GT you do not need to up a radiator. Its the same one. Or better yet, you have to fabricate so much stuff. I didn't fabricate a thing besides my water tube under the manifold.(that was because I did not remove the nipple and use my GT's.) But man I'm so sick of reading bad posts. I made a write up even wth photos and great info. Granted its not the best format and I'm working on it but still its there. Hell there is this thread even. Just blown steam!! Having my stang withdrawals.
I understand bud. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion in both this thread and yours.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #321
Registered Member
Regular

I got a question, did you have to move the brake line distribution block or w/e the proper name is for it?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #322
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428
I got a question, did you have to move the brake line distribution block or w/e the proper name is for it?
I did not modifiy or move anything. In my write up I was detailed. There are some things I left out but there are a lot of photos.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #323
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

I did not modifiy or move anything. In my write up I was detailed. There are some things I left out but there are a lot of photos.
That was 1 thing I didn't notice in your write up, I might have looked over it though
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #324
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main difference between say the 2004 Mach1 and 2004 GT mostly just the engine itself?.. But what about the ECU and the tunning?.. Is that the same?..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #325
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main difference between say the 2004 Mach1 and 2004 GT mostly just the engine itself?.. But what about the ECU and the tunning?.. Is that the same?..
4V runs on the stock 2v ecu, but doesn't perform well. Needs a tune because the 2v obviously doesn't breathe as well, so timing and fuel adjustments are needed. And yeah, difference is just the engine. Most 4v cars come with chassis upgrades (subframe connectors, shocks and struts) but that's pretty much it.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #326
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

4V runs on the stock 2v ecu, but doesn't perform well. Needs a tune because the 2v obviously doesn't breathe as well, so timing and fuel adjustments are needed.
Cool!.. Got me thinking what to do next year!..
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #327
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool!.. Got me thinking what to do next year!..
When I get out of school and pay the house off, I'm either going 2v 5.4 or 4v 4.6. Depends on what kind of deal i can get at the time.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #328
Lorraine's driver

Regular

32vNomad can certainly help with your 2v to 4v swap.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #329
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
subscribed to this thread as well.
thanks

1965 F100 w/EFI 5.0 w 5spd.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #330
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the 4v can run on the 2v ecm. As I have a video up here doing a run on the highway. But the car will yes be underpowered but most of all be rich as hell. You need to have it customed tuned/dyno tuned. Bama, etc won't touch a swap. Upgrades to driveline is not nessessary as well. Keep in mind the 99/01 cobras used a t45s, where as all 3650 trans are rated to 360-390 respectivly. Sub frame connectors are a good upgrade on a GT but not nessessary. As for 5.4l's sullivan does make an intake as well as a widen b head cobra intake
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #331
Registered Member
Regular

Nomad, I haven't been on these boards in a long time but I respect your knowledge on new edge swaps. With a 5.4 being almost certainly the cheaper swap, do you think it's worthwhile? The new intake manifold should give aspiration past 4k, and the torque would be a huge gain I assume? I'm drawn to the simplicity of swapping 5.4.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #332
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes the 4v can run on the 2v ecm. As I have a video up here doing a run on the highway. But the car will yes be underpowered but most of all be rich as hell. You need to have it customed tuned/dyno tuned. Bama, etc won't touch a swap. Upgrades to driveline is not nessessary as well. Keep in mind the 99/01 cobras used a t45s, where as all 3650 trans are rated to 360-390 respectivly. Sub frame connectors are a good upgrade on a GT but not nessessary. As for 5.4l's sullivan does make an intake as well as a widen b head cobra intake
Why not just get a tuner for a 2004 Mach1?.. Wouldn't that solve the tuning issue?..
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #333
Registered Member
Regular

AgentOrange,
I am thinking with adding 49 cubic inchs it def has to be an improvement over a stock 4.6, my question is this, why is everyone not using the stock 5.4 intake? is it because of the limitation of the RPM range compared to the Mustang 4.6?
I am very interested in either one of these swaps
4.6 2v to 4.6 4v
4.6 2v to 5.4 2v
thinking that with a good intake, proper tune, the 5.4 should product good power. but if i run across a DOHC its going to be hard to turn down if the price is close to just a standard 5.4 2v
is there a list compiled somewhere 32Vnomad of possible donor vechicles and years to look for....it may be in your sticky i will revisit.
thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #334
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post

Why not just get a tuner for a 2004 Mach1?.. Wouldn't that solve the tuning issue?..
The problem I suspect with this idea would be when you have to provide the serial number on the PCM. Maybe there are a few different S/N's available and they each require tunes specific to communicate with each of the ECU's. That's a guess though.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #335
Registered Member
Regular

The runners on a truck intake are short and do not deliver the flow needed to make HP, they're just torquers. I think HKS makes a manifold specifically for this application. A 5.4 swap doesn't yield much hp from what i've read(+30-40), but the torque gain is great(+80ish). I still have a little to learn, but all the factory accessories are the exact same as the stock 4.6, a tune is needed for maximum output, but the engine will run on the factory tune.. Biggest downside i've found is that long tube headers won't fit.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #336
Registered Member
Regular

yea according to the article i just read it went from 254 ftlbs of torque to 306 ftlbs of torque
205 hp to 215 hp before tune
after tune 329 ft lbs of torque and 226 hp and thats to the rear tires with a van engine...

everyone i have talked to is saying the stock exhaust manifolds/headers are good to 400 to 450 hp
i would def go stock with manifolds/headers until i get all the other issues worked out with this car.
summit has the manifold adapters for $298.00 in their newest catalog. that would add to the cost even if you get an engine for less than $1000
so idk....i guess it will depend on where/whom we find an engine with.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #337
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Because of the PATS system. Its 89-125 for a custom tune to get you going. If you have a programmer. I use a xcal2.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #338
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nomad, I haven't been on these boards in a long time but I respect your knowledge on new edge swaps. With a 5.4 being almost certainly the cheaper swap, do you think it's worthwhile? The new intake manifold should give aspiration past 4k, and the torque would be a huge gain I assume? I'm drawn to the simplicity of swapping 5.4.
5.4 is the same on install but the hood will be an issue. Id rather change hoods than run spacers on my k member. the 2 valve 5.4 fits in the engine bay quite easily however the 4 valve 5.4 liter sits really close to the master cylinder
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #339
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Because of the PATS system. Its 89-125 for a custom tune to get you going. If you have a programmer. I use a xcal2.
So what about just getting a Mach1 ECU?.. I've thought about this swap before, just don't want to shell out the cash for a Dyno tune!.. Around here the cheapest start at about $600 and that's just for three pulls!..
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #340
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what about just getting a Mach1 ECU?.. I've thought about this swap before, just don't want to shell out the cash for a Dyno tune!.. Around here the cheapest start at about $600 and that's just for three pulls!..
The issue is pats. You would need the matching components to be able to have it tuned (or turned off). I had mine emailed tuned. Where have a guy on here that is in process of getting savy with the main tuning program from SCT. VMP tuning hooked me up with my swap tune and mine runs decent. My setup though is somewhat an experiment. This winter I'll be looking into a head and cam swap or a 5.4 build. I'm in the prepping of porting my C heads. And yes I do my own work. The GT works fine but needs a tune. Plus I'm running 24lbs injectors and cobra MAF as well.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

@Azure good to see ya in here again. Still haven't seen ya in my mustang page on facebook. I have tons of photos on my build and such.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #341
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post

The issue is pats. You would need the matching components to be able to have it tuned (or turned off). I had mine emailed tuned. Where have a guy on here that is in process of getting savy with the main tuning program from SCT. VMP tuning hooked me up with my swap tune and mine runs decent. My setup though is somewhat an experiment. This winter I'll be looking into a head and cam swap or a 5.4 build. I'm in the prepping of porting my C heads. And yes I do my own work. The GT works fine but needs a tune. Plus I'm running 24lbs injectors and cobra MAF as well.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

@Azure good to see ya in here again. Still haven't seen ya in my mustang page on facebook. I have tons of photos on my build and such.
There was something with the COP harness too I remember you mentioning Nomad. You had to replace it or change it, I just can't remember.

Facebook soon, I promise, I'll be checking it out soon.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #342
Registered Member
Regular

Nomad... VMP in Orlando area?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #343
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nomad... VMP in Orlando area?
Its in florida I know that not sure the area though.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

There was something with the COP harness too I remember you mentioning Nomad. You had to replace it or change it, I just can't remember.

Facebook soon, I promise, I'll be checking it out soon.
Well if you were to use the GT harness then the polarity has to be changed at the harness. (Flip wires around)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #344
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
WOW once again this thread is booming. I got the engine in and no issues no cutting no moving things nothing at all.... I'll post pics when I can. Also ordered a Cobra R bumper. I had to mod one thing though for the LT's. Driver's side of the k member had to be recessed to clear so that the tube didn't rub. But that wasn't no big job either.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #345
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
WOW once again this thread is booming. I got the engine in and no issues no cutting no moving things nothing at all.... I'll post pics when I can. Also ordered a Cobra R bumper. I had to mod one thing though for the LT's. Driver's side of the k member had to be recessed to clear so that the tube didn't rub. But that wasn't no big job either.
Pictures, If you don't want to attach them photos here I'd just setup a photobucket page they're free and load your photos on there and post the link to your album
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #346
Registered Member
Regular

95v686gt,
did you have a GT bumper before? just curious

Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #347
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
And did my write up help??? Any differences?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #348
Registered Member
Regular

hey 32vnomad....clear your messages lol

i have a quesiton, i have located an engine... 2001 Ford 5.4 DOHC engine out of a Navigator. What are the pro's and con's of this engine for my 04 GT
it is a complete engine...

Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #349
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
hey 32vnomad....clear your messages lol

i have a quesiton, i have located an engine... 2001 Ford 5.4 DOHC engine out of a Navigator. What are the pro's and con's of this engine for my 04 GT
it is a complete engine...
Its actually what I'm looking for. The engine though is a REAL tight fit. As the 5.4 is taller the intake from the Navigator sits above the hood line. You have to use either shorties from Ford or stay with stock cobra/mach exhaust manifolds. I've heard of adaptor plates so you can use a 4.6 intak. But I'm not sure if it is for DOHC. Sullivan makes a B head intake from a 4.6 cobra but its pricey. There is the Boss 290 from a Aussie Falcon, but money again will be bled. The engine it self is stout. But if memory serves, has only a forged crank. 8 bolt flywheel. So really the intake is the only bug I see with it. I've seen a hand full of 2v 5.4's under a stock hood but I think they use washers on the K member. Me I'd just change the hood. P.S. the stock intake will limit high end HP/torque production. The intake ports are larger then the 4.6l so an adaptor will be a must.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #350
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
95v686gt,
did you have a GT bumper before? just curious
Yes I did. Still got it too.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT