97 GT 32V Swap - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #211
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 97 GT 32V Swap

I'm getting really excited! That's the same exhaust I'll be running, Nomad, except with Flow 40 mufflers. I'm still on the look out for C heads because I'm really low on funds right now... but keeping my eyes open. This build is gonna be fun.

Btw here's my slow drive-by at home. :p

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I'm getting really excited! That's the same exhaust I'll be running, Nomad, except with Flow 40 mufflers. I'm still on the look out for C heads because I'm really low on funds right now... but keeping my eyes open. This build is gonna be fun.

Btw here's my slow drive-by at home. :p
Well like I had said you can grab the set of tumble port heads and have them ported and cleaned up that will up the flow. And you can get them from LKQ at a decent price. they can be found from the Continental.

For the "thread issue" people talk about that actually an issue on both 2v and 4v. You can use NGK plugs as there are more threads on the plug to be able to seat better. On my 2v my #2 cyl blew the plug twice. This was from the injector being stuck causing a lean condition that would over heat that hole. Causing a blowout. But when repairing the hole that was damage, I noticed the threads were only about 2/3's damaged. so that means the plug itself does not have the surface contact, to have a strong hold. So the longer NGK plugs would work better to suite the issue. And besides the 03/04 heads had the same issue. It wasn't until 2005 that a replacement was available. And those are specific, making alot of the heads on the used market to be mostly older replaced heads.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #213
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys, I got my tune. Seems to run a lot better. The response is great. And the pull.... just say its nice to have the the rev limit up. It seemed to improved low end drivability but not by much. Which can be expected with the head intake setup. Basically down low seems to feel like a stock to mild gt down low but the mid to top forget about it. Maybe looking into a cam change until I go forced inducted. But maybe the winter project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #214
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad
Well guys, I got my tune. Seems to run a lot better. The response is great. And the pull.... just say its nice to have the the rev limit up. It seemed to improved low end drivability but not by much. Which can be expected with the head intake setup. Basically down low seems to feel like a stock to mild gt down low but the mid to top forget about it. Maybe looking into a cam change until I go forced inducted. But maybe the winter project.
That's awesome! I'm glad your tune worked out without probs. Is it basically a 93 octane racing tune?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #215
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. There are issues though. I was datalogging a drive session and did notice that I had a small miss through the cylinders. I'm going to take the plugs out after work to see if the plugs have been fouled from the excess fuel. Also one O2 doesn't seem to be right. Though I notice a leak from I think a header. Azure I'm telling you man you need to make the trip to fernale and check out mustang alley and the cruise.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #216
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post
Yup. There are issues though. I was datalogging a drive session and did notice that I had a small miss through the cylinders. I'm going to take the plugs out after work to see if the plugs have been fouled from the excess fuel. Also one O2 doesn't seem to be right. Though I notice a leak from I think a header. Azure I'm telling you man you need to make the trip to fernale and check out mustang alley and the cruise.
I'm looking forward to the vids!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #217
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I know, there are a few shows I would have wanted to go to, but funds are low and I've been working like a dog lately. Maybe I can check it out next year. I wanted to go to the American Muscle show this past weekend too. You'll have to post some pics from the show.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #218
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I know, there are a few shows I would have wanted to go to, but funds are low and I've been working like a dog lately. Maybe I can check it out next year. I wanted to go to the American Muscle show this past weekend too. You'll have to post some pics from the show.
Shouldn't be but a 4hr drive if that. You can do it. Its Saturday from 7am to 7pm and there is a cruise that's all day going on as well. Head back Saturday night and sleep in sunday
Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #219
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is your 4v a higher compression ratio like the mach1 engines?
My compression in around 9.8. I kept it low but high enough for decent NA power. My rings are gaped for FI. Everything has been build in anticipation for forced induction.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #220
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

My compression in around 9.8. I kept it low but high enough for decent NA power. My rings are gaped for FI. Everything has been build in anticipation for forced induction.
Have decided which setup you'll go with? There was a guy at the track with Mach1 just like mine with a Kenny Bell. He said his best time was a 13 flat at the track. He must not have a real high boost.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #221
Registered Member
Regular

Couple questions: How to you determine your compression ratio? Also; How do you get your compression ratio to move up or down?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #222
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
Couple questions: How to you determine your compression ratio? Also; How do you get your compression ratio to move up or down?
Along with that, what do you lose going one way or another? There's the obvious - FI, but I bet there's more.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You want a low compression motor for boost. Compression ratio is determined by combustion chamber volume and quench area. If I remember correctly anyways. Higher cr the higher the octane fuel you need.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #224
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Really the only way to get it to move up or down is by the piston type and your heads combustion chamber. Domed pistons will cause a higher compression ratio and dished will lower that.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Really the only way to get it to move up or down is by the piston type and your heads combustion chamber. Domed pistons will cause a higher compression ratio and dished will lower that.
Shaving heads also changes it.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #226
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Quote:
Along with that, what do you lose going one way or another? There's the obvious - FI, but I bet there's more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt View Post
You want a low compression motor for boost. Compression ratio is determined by combustion chamber volume and quench area. If I remember correctly anyways. Higher cr the higher the octane fuel you need.
Compression Calculator (4.6L deck clearance is 0.008 in.)

9.5 -10.5 work well with centrifugal superchargers with intercoolers. If looking to run a twin screw setup or turbo 9.5-8.5 is good. now if you are looking to run the motor at low CR without a power adder then expect a dog. Machs run 10.1:1 and respond well to nitrous as well as 8-10lbs from a centri.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt View Post
Shaving heads also changes it.
Problem with shaving the heads is the different in height when you try to bolt on the timing cover to much and the alignment of the cover will be an issue. Trust me mine was snug real snug. and had to take a layer off the top. I was reading how azure was talking with a guy that said his tuner believes that his engine has 11:1-12:1 compression causing the issue in tuning. Time for a new tuner. unless that modular 4v has domed pistons, there is not a chance its 11:1 or higher.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #227
Registered Member
Regular

3rd to 4th after tune
Quote:
That's awesome! I'm glad your tune worked out without probs. Is it basically a 93 octane racing tune?
Still have to raise the limiter
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #228
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
3rd to 4th after tune

Still have to raise the limiter
Even after the tune, they didn't move it up to ~7000? I've never bounced on the rev limit, but I think it's 7050.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #229
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Even after the tune, they didn't move it up to ~7000? I've never bounced on the rev limit, but I think it's 7050.
I have to change all the limiters I guess because the ecm doesn't know what gear I'm in.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #230
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah its set at 6050, not sure why when I had said that I wanted in at 6850.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #231
Lorraine's driver

Regular

How hard can you run her now? How many miles since the swap?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #232
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How hard can you run her now? How many miles since the swap?
Not even a 1000 yet. But I pulled the plugs and checked them they were all tan and good. I did gap them though. See if it helps. The missing that i pick up can be felt while about 2-2.5k rpms like in third or second. but nothing really at idle but the data-log is picking up random spikes its not constant. So Im thinking coils maybe be an issue. Could be something like a ground as well. Heading up to my garage now to change the oil. HAHA I'll take a picture of the first oil change filter I cut it open.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Have decided which setup you'll go with? There was a guy at the track with Mach1 just like mine with a Kenny Bell. He said his best time was a 13 flat at the track. He must not have a real high boost.
I think he needed a driver mod. watch this vid from procharger the car has a catback and slicks.

Jim Summers is behind the wheel

ProCharged 4.6 Mustang GT
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #233
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I think he needed a driver mod. watch this vid from procharger the car has a catback and slicks.

Jim Summers is behind the wheel

ProCharged 4.6 Mustang GT
That's your stang after the tune - 3 to 4 pull. And it was better as you mentioned

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I'm heading out to wash my ride. New are still under a water ban so I gots to go to the local spray-it-yourself. I need an oil change too.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #234
Registered Member
Regular

Bottom of the boss

Attachment 64391
Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #235
Registered Member
Regular

Had a great time at the show. By 3pm there were 1100 mustangs. It was a blast. Even met a gentleman that built my car in the Dearborn plant in Michigan. It was funny at all the double takes I got from new edge owners. I was the only Mark swap. I saw on terminator engine swap and a 01 cobra swap. The GT with the 01 engine was a track car. If you want to see the photos, I started a thread with a link to the album. Mustang Alley 2012 I think is what I called it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #236
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Had a great time at the show. By 3pm there were 1100 mustangs. It was a blast. Even met a gentleman that built my car in the Dearborn plant in Michigan. It was funny at all the double takes I got from new edge owners. I was the only Mark swap. I saw on terminator engine swap and a 01 cobra swap. The GT with the 01 engine was a track car. If you want to see the photos, I started a thread with a link to the album. Mustang Alley 2012 I think is what I called it.
That's awesome! Ima check out your thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #237
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was funny at all the double takes I got from new edge owners. I was the only Mark swap. I saw on terminator engine swap and a 01 cobra swap.
That right there is why I'm doing this swap....
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #238
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt

That right there is why I'm doing this swap....
That and its badass....
Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #239
Registered Member
Regular

I can't wait to get mine going.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

So I decided to hook my xcal2 up and try to change the rev limit up. I raised the neu rev up to 7000 and the drive rev up to 6950. Saved it and programmed it. Still nothing. No change, I did it twice with the same out come. So Im not sure what the issue is with it. Wish I had a key to the sct software Id change it on the tune myself. Not sure what the deal is. Still waiting on the tuner. He should just change it on his end and send me the tune. but that would be logic.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #241
Registered Member
Regular

My write up will now be a sticky
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #242
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
My write up will now be a sticky
Sweet! That's great and you can edit it too, right?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote:
So I decided to hook my xcal2 up and try to change the rev limit up. I raised the neu rev up to 7000 and the drive rev up to 6950. Saved it and programmed it. Still nothing. No change, I did it twice with the same out come. So Im not sure what the issue is with it. Wish I had a key to the sct software Id change it on the tune myself. Not sure what the deal is. Still waiting on the tuner. He should just change it on his end and send me the tune. but that would be logic.
How did you get your current tune on your PCM?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #243
Registered Member
Regular

Well yeah that and its bad ***. I did get some good news nomad. One of those issues I told you about in that PM just agreed to lower it..... Kinda shocked there wasn't a fight.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #244
Registered Member
Regular

Well my tuner sent another tune and changed the limiter to 7k. loaded it up but no dice. I have no idea what this is. I sent a datalog of it happening. Lets see what happens.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #245
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Well my tuner sent another tune and changed the limiter to 7k. loaded it up but no dice. I have no idea what this is. I sent a datalog of it happening. Lets see what happens.
Sorry bro, hope they can get you setup soon. Did you have to give them the PCM's serial on the outside of it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT