2002 GT want more power! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

Region: Washington
2002 GT want more power!

Hello I'm new to the mustang forums. I have a 2002 gt 5spd with full exhaust , intake and diablo tune and was wondering the next step to take to get some more power for a good price. Mind you I'm still in high school an don't have a lot of money, thanks!
Scott2002GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: 2002 GT want more power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2002GT View Post
Hello I'm new to the mustang forums. I have a 2002 gt 5spd with full exhaust , intake and diablo tune and was wondering the next step to take to get some more power for a good price. Mind you I'm still in high school an don't have a lot of money, thanks!
gears!!!
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
CAI, TB, and pullies!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
+1 ^^all the above!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I'll go ahead and throw out some realistic advice (from someone that modded their car and is now planning to sell it).
First, what are your eventual goals? Do you want a supercharger/turbocharger? If you want a supercharger, don't bother wasting money on pullies (they make accessories spin slower, which is where you get your power... less spin means less power from a supercharger). Additionally, depending on the blower... some other parts may not work.

Even if you get to gears, a friend of mine had 4.10s in his 5 speed... with a blower, you would have no traction and it would mean you're shifting all the time.

Do you just want a little more "pop"? Gears can be a nice "cheap" alternative and a set of 3.73s shouldn't be too bad with a turbo or supercharger if you go that route. Additionally, they shouldn't kill your mileage.

Honestly, you likely won't be able to feel minor mods (like a tuner). You'll think you can feel it, but the difference is typically pretty small. So basically, think about what your eventual goals with the car are so you don't buy stuff that you'll have to resell later for a loss. And while we're on that point, make sure you understand that you very likely won't keep this car forever and that you don't get back very much of what you invest for mods.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
I'll go ahead and throw out some realistic advice (from someone that modded their car and is now planning to sell it).
First, what are your eventual goals? Do you want a supercharger/turbocharger? If you want a supercharger, don't bother wasting money on pullies (they make accessories spin slower, which is where you get your power... less spin means less power from a supercharger). Additionally, depending on the blower... some other parts may not work.

Even if you get to gears, a friend of mine had 4.10s in his 5 speed... with a blower, you would have no traction and it would mean you're shifting all the time.

Do you just want a little more "pop"? Gears can be a nice "cheap" alternative and a set of 3.73s shouldn't be too bad with a turbo or supercharger if you go that route. Additionally, they shouldn't kill your mileage.

Honestly, you likely won't be able to feel minor mods (like a tuner). You'll think you can feel it, but the difference is typically pretty small. So basically, think about what your eventual goals with the car are so you don't buy stuff that you'll have to resell later for a loss. And while we're on that point, make sure you understand that you very likely won't keep this car forever and that you don't get back very much of what you invest for mods.
Great advice!!!!
You'll be lucky to get anything back off mods.. Example the dealer came down 1k on my car because I was ready to walk due to mods.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

For what it's worth, some dealers may actually deduct value to the car because it's been modified (smaller market they can sell to, and possible "abuse" of working components... people that mod their cars like to drive them a bit rougher I suppose). For that reason, you'll likely be stuck private party selling your car when you do sell (and that's the condition you won't get back nearly what you paid).

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #8

Region: Washington
Thanks for the advice!
Not looking to supercharge/ turbo charge in the future , like you said I wont have this car forever and plan to get a cobra within next year or 2. Think I'm just gonna go with gears for now
Scott2002GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT