Mustang Evolution Forum banner

gears question

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  LAS97GT 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I am wanting to get some 3.90s as a bday present to myself, as I keep getting yelled at for having certain mods and have yet to pull the trigger on gears.

my question to you all is this - what all do I need to buy to make it handle the following -

I drive maybe 10 miles one way to and from work, no freeways

I will occasionally take a freeway from here and there

I have recently fallen in love with the drag strip

i have the following mods
-stage 2 cams
-tune for 93 oct
-suspension
-315s on the rear
-short throw

summers list includes
-tb/plenum
-nitrous

so with that my question is asked... what all is needed to purchase while im in there gutting the diff anyways.

thanks!

See less See more
#7 ·
Topless04GT said:
Hey guys and gals,

I am wanting to get some 3.90s as a bday present to myself, as I keep getting yelled at for having certain mods and have yet to pull the trigger on gears.

my question to you all is this - what all do I need to buy to make it handle the following -

-stage 2 cams
-tune for 93 oct
-suspension
-315s on the rear
-short throw

summers list includes
-tb/plenum
-nitrous

so with that my question is asked... what all is needed to purchase while im in there gutting the diff anyways.

thanks!
Get rear gears 4.11

#10 ·
deadsp0t said:
Now would be a good time to do the axels as they have to come loose anyway, if so do the C-clip eliminators as well. A good diff cover too, one that pre-loads.
What do you mean by one that preloads?

#12 ·
#15 ·
I would go big with 4.10s since you only drive 20miles a day city. That's the same as me and I have 4.10s. Go big! Don't fear the gear!!

Your cart should have the gear of your choice(4.10 hopefully), an install kit, bearing rebuild kit, and also 3 bottles of 75-90(I think) gear oil. That will be everything you need.

#16 ·
ColeJohnson said:
I would go big with 4.10s since you only drive 20miles a day city. That's the same as me and I have 4.10s. Go big! Don't fear the gear!!

Your cart should have the gear of your choice(4.10 hopefully), an install kit, bearing rebuild kit, and also 3 bottles of 75-90(I think) gear oil. That will be everything you need.
...and the Ford friction modifier
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-CM19546A1-Friction-Modifier/dp/B000DZR55U

#17 ·
Go 4.10 gears they are soo much better you won't regret it at all! If you love dragstip's then I highly suggest 4.10 all the way no doubt. I also upgraded my axles to moser 31 splined axle and 31 spline posi differential. Cause you'll need all the traction you can get I paid 140 for installation got a good deal..

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Then you get slicks dropped my 60 foot time from 2.2 to 1.7

#24 ·
04Mstng.GT said:
Do I Get installation and bearing kit or just installation kit? With the gears
The $179 is just gears....it's recommended that you get the instal kit as well

#26 ·
Cobraman8801 said:
You'll need the bearing kit for the particular rear end that you have with the gears. I'm having 3.90s installed right now and that's all I needed. That and gear oil.
So let me get this straight? Because I want to do the 4.10 swap myself, so I need to know what I need besides just the ring and pinion... So just an install kit, and oil too right?

#27 ·
Topless04GT said:
Hey guys and gals,

-stage 2 cams
-tune for 93 oct
-suspension
-315s on the rear
-short throw

summers list includes
-tb/plenum
-nitrous

thanks!
Little advice. Everytime you head to the track make sure you have means of getting the car home when you break the axles or gears (if not installed right) I ran the exact same setup up and only got 1 run in before the rear end exploded. There's 1 inch of axle missin from the driver side cause it couldn't take the pressure from a 5k launch when I was assured they could. 18psi in the tires and fully RACE not drag suspension. What times have you run in your car.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Mathew r Wright said:
So let me get this straight? Because I want to do the 4.10 swap myself, so I need to know what I need besides just the ring and pinion... So just an install kit, and oil too right?
Better know what your doing when it comes to gears. It's not the whine you should be worried about. It's the breaking factor. The previous owner of my car had gears installed professionally and they obviously didn't do it right cause it broke the outside ends of the teeth off on the ring which means the pinion was set back to far and it wasn't making enough contact on the ring for fully strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.