Good buy or no? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Good buy or no?

Hey guys, I've been looking to upgrade to a newer GT for a while now and found this car this morning. And supposedly it's all mechanically sound. Just thought I'd get some other opinions. Thanks.
Here's the ad:
http://monroe.craigslist.org/cto/3028026032.html
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Good buy or no?

Appears to be clean but pics really don't justify anything these days lol.

If the car was taken care of 112k miles isn't a huge deal, there's still routine maintenance you'll have to do and parts might start wearing out but it'll run great for another 50-100k.

One thing I noticed is that the GT emblems on the fenders are missing, so either he took them off or the fenders were recently replaced. Also it's hard to tell from the pics but the front bumper looks like a v6 bumper..it looks like there are slits in the fog light openings which was the way the v6 bumpers came from the factory. So the car may have been in an accident and the front clip was replaced.

Definitely check it out, the fenders should have the Ford emblem stamped halfway up the top face of the panel in the engine bay where the fender screws into the frame. If you can bring the car to a mechanic and have it checked out. The stock plastic intake is known to crack/give out so check that out real well.

Also lol at his comment, "you can't even buy a v6 at this price"...I've seen GT's with fewer miles sell for cheaper on craigslist as well as tons of 99-04 v6's sell for less, so don't let him blow smoke.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Appears to be clean but pics really don't justify anything these days lol.

If the car was taken care of 112k miles isn't a huge deal, there's still routine maintenance you'll have to do and parts might start wearing out but it'll run great for another 50-100k.

One thing I noticed is that the GT emblems on the fenders are missing, so either he took them off or the fenders were recently replaced. Also it's hard to tell from the pics but the front bumper looks like a v6 bumper..it looks like there are slits in the fog light openings which was the way the v6 bumpers came from the factory. So the car may have been in an accident and the front clip was replaced.

Definitely check it out, the fenders should have the Ford emblem stamped halfway up the top face of the panel in the engine bay where the fender screws into the frame. If you can bring the car to a mechanic and have it checked out. The stock plastic intake is known to crack/give out so check that out real well.

Also lol at his comment, "you can't even buy a v6 at this price"...I've seen GT's with fewer miles sell for cheaper on craigslist as well as tons of 99-04 v6's sell for less, so don't let him blow smoke.
Oh I won't. Haha. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the fenders and and bumper. AND you can't see the rear of the car. That kinda scares me. But idk. Imma go check it out this week sometime. Hopefully it checks out.
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Well that's good you noticed that...a lot of people would miss the front bumper not being right. Like I said it's hard to tell from that angle but it looks like the little plastic bars are in the openings. Or he has the billet fill-ins to match the billet grille...you'll be able to tell in person.

Depending on condition etc I'd definitely work him down on price...it's still a buyers' market and if he needs to sell he'll bite.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Well that's good you noticed that...a lot of people would miss the front bumper not being right. Like I said it's hard to tell from that angle but it looks like the little plastic bars are in the openings. Or he has the billet fill-ins to match the billet grille...you'll be able to tell in person.

Depending on condition etc I'd definitely work him down on price...it's still a buyers' market and if he needs to sell he'll bite.
Yea. I'll definitely see what I can do. Can you believe I had someone offer me 5k for my 98? I'm so pumped. IF it works out. Haha.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Run the vin and see what pops up my gt has 190,000 miles on it and my father and I have taken perfect care of the car if the records and paper are there go and do it
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Make sure it's not a v6 swap to me it looks like a v6 and he took the side emblems off because it didn't have the GT emblem and possibly put a GT hood on.
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
Make sure it's not a v6 swap to me it looks like a v6 and he took the side emblems off because it didn't have the GT emblem and possibly put a GT hood on.
What's a good way to tell? Just run the VIN number and see what pops up?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid

The vin will tell you what engine came in it from the factory
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yea I would run the vin before anything. It just doesn't look right. To me it looks like a v6 front bumper and a v6 comes with a pony on the side where a GT would say GT and he has them removed. Just seems fishy a lot of people drop a GT motor in a v6 nothing is wrong with that but if I was buying a car I would want to know everything about it.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It also seems he's very eager to sell which in most cases could mean a bad thing but every story is different but just be extra careful before jumping and rushing things
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Before you meet up with him ask for some more pictures around the car and motor. These pictures are hard to tell, it only shows the front bumper. I would like to see a picture of the back of the car.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

IMO, I would just move on to another one....there are alot better cars out there then this because like said above and im sure someone already said it but with the bumper the way it is the car might have been wrecked. Trust me, there way better buys out there then just this one cuz I found my 98 cobra convertable owned twice in perfect condition for a good buy. You can run the vin if you want and if it does say GT I would still stay away from it because of the bumper due to it possible being wrecked because like said about they are eager to sell it. Then, it would cost you more to get it back to the correct GT bumper and fog lights such.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. New update. It had been hit in the back right quarter panel and it does have badges. Lol. Just not in that picture. The guy is supposedly a body guy so he sent me a picture of the damage and that he would fix and blend everything for me if I bought it. The first picture is of the damage, second is just a picture with badges. So idk. I'm at least gonna check it out. And it's bone stock. Mod wise. So I like that part of it. But idk. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1449849475.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	52001   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2778891369.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	52002  

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

He's definitely going to have to come down on the price a little bit. Lol.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Not much reason to put a v6 bumper on a GT... same styling but no fogs.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
Not much reason to put a v6 bumper on a GT... same styling but no fogs.
+1 It doesn't really matter to me. I just want a newer GT and a 5-Speed. And Rarely does a GT, or a mustang for that matter, come up for sale around here.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
+1 It doesn't really matter to me. I just want a newer GT and a 5-Speed. And Rarely does a GT, or a mustang for that matter, come up for sale around here.
So travel. You're talking about a long term investment of thousands of dollars.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So travel. You're talking about a long term investment of thousands of dollars.
I'd love to.. But I can hardly get away from work. But I'm constantly on the lookout. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Idk.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
I'd love to.. But I can hardly get away from work. But I'm constantly on the lookout. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Idk.
Where do you live?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where do you live?
Northeast Louisiana. West Monroe.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

well you are right, looks like very little for sale (or at least at the price near what you posted)
Find Your Car: Ford Mustang Listings Near West Monroe, LA 71291 - AutoTrader.com

Maybe it's just because they're a bit older or something.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well you are right, looks like very little for sale (or at least at the price near what you posted)
Find Your Car: Ford Mustang Listings Near West Monroe, LA 71291 - AutoTrader.com

Yea.. That's my problem.. There are some good deals out there. But I ONLY have like $5k to work with.. And this seemed to be a good deal. So I'm gonna at least check it out and see if it's ok. And maybe get a CarFax. Haha.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:

Really appreciate the input though.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If I were u I would walk from that one.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
Road Trip!

I live in new Orleans I had to drive to Tennessee to get mine. It was worth it I wanted a vert 5 speed with low miles so I had to travel.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
It might just be the picture but look at the driver side quarter it doesn't match the the door could just be the angle but if you check it out look at all the gaps make sure they line up an are even all the way around look for crappy welds tape lines and look at bolts if the paint is all scrapped up on them then something has been repaired or replaced you can look underneath to see if it has fog light plugs and the could have just not cut the grille pieces and put the fogs in cuz by the part number the v6 and gt are the same just need to cut out the grilles
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well, he said where the damage was he still had to blend. And he said he would do that before the purchase. IF I decide I want it. Idk. I'm hopefully gonna meet up with him this evening or in the morning.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. New update. Went and checked out the GT tonight. I. LOVED. IT. Ran like a champ. It only has a LITTLE bit of body work to do, and turns out he works at one of the best body shops in the area. And hes going to do all that it needs for free before i buy it. And he came down a little on the price too.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Ok. New update. Went and checked out the GT tonight. I. LOVED. IT. Ran like a champ. It only has a LITTLE bit of body work to do, and turns out he works at one of the best body shops in the area. And hes going to do all that it needs for free before i buy it. And he came down a little on the price too.
nice congrads!!

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Try cars .com
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay

nice congrads!!
Thanks man! It was sweet.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

congrats, as long as you are happy with it and it is in mech good shape then go for it...
Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
congrats, as long as you are happy with it and it is in mech good shape then go for it...
Yea.. I was thoroughly impressed. Turns out its only like a 2 owner car. So that's nice too.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

thats good, where was it hit at? Oh yea reminds me are you going changed the bumper or add the fog lights?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
thats good, where was it hit at? Oh yea reminds me are you going changed the bumper or add the fog lights?
It was hit on the side. Door and back right quarter panel. And idk. It's a OEM GT bumper, but he just didn't like the look of the fogs. So idk what I wanna do. Haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT