Race day! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Nashgizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 85
Race day!

Ok so today was my first time at the track and needless to say I'm very disappointed.... My upgrades are as follow under drive pullies, 78mm throttle body, cai, tune and cat back.... My stang is an 02 gt and is auto..... My best time of the day was 15.2 with a 2.3 60' is this where I should b or is something wrong?
Nashgizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashgizam
Ok so today was my first time at the track and needless to say I'm very disappointed.... My upgrades are as follow under drive pullies, 78mm throttle body, cai, tune and cat back.... My stang is an 02 gt and is auto..... My best time of the day was 15.2 with a 2.3 60' is this where I should b or is something wrong?
Sorry to say but something is wrong!.. I've got the same basic mods as you plus an O/R X-pipe and I run low to mid 14s!..

'04 GT auto with 75mm TB and plenum, UD Pullies, tune, O/R X-pipe and Cat Back exhaust, and CAI!... And I still have stock gears!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
runvsofthisbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Florida
Posts: 606
Re: Race day!

How were you launching? What condition are your tires in?
__________________

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Nashgizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 85
I was hooking up good I thought I am running on a snow tire right now just cuz I haven't bought new ones but why am I so slow?
Nashgizam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashgizam
I was hooking up good I thought I am running on a snow tire right now just cuz I haven't bought new ones but why am I so slow?
Your running on snow tires and it is hot out!.. That would be my first guess right there!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Capitola
Region: California
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Your running on snow tires and it is hot out!.. That would be my first guess right there!.. Lol
+1 with new tires you should drop your 1/4 mile times.
__________________
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
I run bottom 14's (have cut a 13.9) on street tires with a CAI and H-pipe back exhaust, no cats. I am a manual, but I don't think you should be more than a whole second slower.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slvr01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 166
When I first bought my 01 gt I ran 14.0 with just flowmaster mufflers, what psi are you running in the tires? I still run on street and drop the tires to 26 or 27 psi. Mines an auto as well.
Slvr01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
I think some people are missing the point of the OP saying he is running on Winter/SnowTires!!... He is not getting traction!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slvr01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 166
He won't get traction on any street tire, it's just limiting the spin, that's why I asked if he messed with the tire pressure, even with a 2.3 60 ft I don't think he should be running in the 15s.
Slvr01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bballing0416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 286
I got 14.1 with a set of 3.73 gears, cold air intake, and 75mm TB with accufab plenum
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr01GT
He won't get traction on any street tire, it's just limiting the spin, that's why I asked if he messed with the tire pressure, even with a 2.3 60 ft I don't think he should be running in the 15s.
You need to learn about tire compounds dude!.. Snow Tire=no traction in the summer!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Spinnin' ain't winnin' ya'll.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slvr01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

You need to learn about tire compounds dude!.. Snow Tire=no traction in the summer!..
I didn't say anything about that dude, he shouldn't be running in the 15s even with the tires he has.
Slvr01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
The snow tires will affect your times and the auto is a ***** off the line imo. What is your altitude? That plays a huge factor. I'm at 5000 and it plays an easy second over sea level tracks. Especially on na cars.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr01GT

I didn't say anything about that dude, he shouldn't be running in the 15s even with the tires he has.
Turner has been a little aggressive today.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

Turner has been a little aggressive today.
No!.. People just not being clear in their posts!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

No!.. People just not being clear in their posts!..
Beep o tee boop o dee! Boop oh be bop o tee? Bap a dee boop o tee!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Beep o tee boop o dee! Boop oh be bop o tee? Bap a dee boop o tee!
+1
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
What altitude are you you at? Most people seem to forget that elevation changes a lot of stuff. My best pass has been a 15.0 and i know thats fast up here in colorado cause a stock 04 GT ran a 15.4 that same night.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
MustangGT02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MO
Region: Missouri
Posts: 437
Re: Race day!

I got a 14.88 at 94mph on all season tires and just a CAI (stock everything else even the stock tune at the time). I think something is wrong with yours....... hope you get it figured out and remember that temp and air conditions can effect your preformance majorly.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Ohh my 60ft was a 2.291 btw
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
t0t4lbl4ck0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 711
I don't think the tires is his problem. He can't launch with the auto without modding the stall and he didn't lose much if any grip from what little launch he can do. I think it has something to do with whatever is causing you to blow out plug after plug after plug.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: Race day!

Where is the slip? What was your 60 foot? That is the only way to know if you hooked. I would say you should be around 14.0-14.2
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
I don't think the tires is his problem. He can't launch with the auto without modding the stall and he didn't lose much if any grip from what little launch he can do. I think it has something to do with whatever is causing you to blow out plug after plug after plug.
Sorry but I beg to differ!.. He said he is on Snow Tires!.. Do the research and you will see that the tire tread design and tire compound is made for traction in Snowy Cold Conditions!.. Compare that to a summer performance tire tread and compound and you will see a big difference between the two!..

Besides launching with an Auto is too easy!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
I run bottom 14's (have cut a 13.9) on street tires with a CAI and H-pipe back exhaust, no cats. I am a manual, but I don't think you should be more than a whole second slower.
Do you remember about what kinda RPMs you launch at? I struggle with my 60ft. I'm try to gauge where I should be with street tires.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
t0t4lbl4ck0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 711
It also matters that it was his first time at the track as well. I believe his 60ft time was around 2.3 or so. I ran 1 time and ran a 14.5 on 315 drag radials and had a 60ft time of 2.001 with nearly zero launch and I'm full bolt on and cammed with no tune.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Listen turner. I was there. He didn't spin. Don't preach to me about research cause I was there and saw it first hand. There's other thing wrong with his car other then the tires.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

I'm not trying to say he's fine with them cause that's obvious I'm just saying that wasn't the problem this time
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Do you remember about what kinda RPMs you launch at? I struggle with my 60ft. I'm try to gauge where I should be with street tires.
Around 2700 on a freshly prepped track (important!!!). If I have trouble sticking I work my way down every try after. The nearest track holds a rather large NHRA event, and I like to hit it shortly after. Track tends to get neglected when they only run test&tune, so I have to adjust every time I go, and my 60' times suffer a bit. You make more power than I do as well.. Results will vary.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
It also matters that it was his first time at the track as well. I believe his 60ft time was around 2.3 or so. I ran 1 time and ran a 14.5 on 315 drag radials and had a 60ft time of 2.001 with nearly zero launch and I'm full bolt on and cammed with no tune.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Listen turner. I was there. He didn't spin. Don't preach to me about research cause I was there and saw it first hand. There's other thing wrong with his car other then the tires.
I never said that there wasn't anything else that could be wrong!.. Just simply saying that your not going to get anywhere fast with Snow Tires at the strip!.. And just because he didn't "Spin", doesn't mean he was getting full grip either!..

A few years back I went to the track with my Monte-Carlo when it had a set of snow tires on it!.. It ran about a 15.3!.. A month later went back to the same track but with a set of all weather tires on it!.. It ran a 14.9!.. I didn't really "Spin" either time!.. No other changes were made to the car!.. And the only other difference was that it was warmer the second time!..

So please tell me what part are you not understanding?..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheJigShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sewell
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Just like everyone else, change the tires.

This thread raises a concern for me. I have 315 NT555 tires, Catless Bassani X and SLP Catback, and a cai. With no tuner and other mods I was able to run 14.1 best, with an average of 14.3. My concern is that with a tune or any other mods I won't be able to run 13s. Will I be able to if I do more bolt-Ons and a tune? (I also have an auto).
__________________
"Jig"
2014 Ford Focus ST (ST3, Tuxedo Black Metallic)
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow
Just like everyone else, change the tires.

This thread raises a concern for me. I have 315 NT555 tires, Catless Bassani X and SLP Catback, and a cai. With no tuner and other mods I was able to run 14.1 best, with an average of 14.3. My concern is that with a tune or any other mods I won't be able to run 13s. Will I be able to if I do more bolt-Ons and a tune? (I also have an auto).
If you want 13s then the quickest way there would be a tune (personally I suggest as a first mod), and gears!.. That should get you down to mid 13s then!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheJigShow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sewell
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Ok cool. The recommendation is 4.10s. However how good are they on the highway though in regards to highway speeds/RPMs and mpg?
__________________
"Jig"
2014 Ford Focus ST (ST3, Tuxedo Black Metallic)
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow
Just like everyone else, change the tires.

This thread raises a concern for me. I have 315 NT555 tires, Catless Bassani X and SLP Catback, and a cai. With no tuner and other mods I was able to run 14.1 best, with an average of 14.3. My concern is that with a tune or any other mods I won't be able to run 13s. Will I be able to if I do more bolt-Ons and a tune? (I also have an auto).
My best run was a 13.78 @ 102 mph. 2.00 60ft. My mods were 4.10s, CAI, and full exhaust. This was with a set of 245 street tires. It was also a cooler night. I average around a 13.9. I would say you could get into the 13s. Gears are a must.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
t0t4lbl4ck0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 711
I'm just saying it wasn't his problem. He's got other stuff going on with his car. Obviously you don't want to drag on snow tires.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #34
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel

My best run was a 13.78 @ 102 mph. 2.00 60ft. My mods were 4.10s, CAI, and full exhaust. This was with a set of 245 street tires. It was also a cooler night. I average around a 13.9. I would say you could get into the 13s. Gears are a must.
That's a good 60ft with 245 street tires
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
I'm just saying it wasn't his problem. He's got other stuff going on with his car. Obviously you don't want to drag on snow tires.
Ok at any rate (tired of beating a dead horse), you said you were there!.. So tell us what else was going on!.. Just from the info given it points to mostly just tires!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:14 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.