Does your car run better cold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Region: California
Does your car run better cold

This has been bugging me for a while now. My car runs perfect when it's cold or the first 20-30 miles of the day, after that it's a different car. After it warms up you have to shove it into gear, and especially putting into first at a stop sign you have to shove it into all gears and is very jerky. But like I said when it's cold or the first few miles no issues. Fidanza clutch, tri ax, adjustable cable, stock trans, which of these could be the issue and is anyone else have a stubborn car that doesn't like the heat.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Yes hard to believe but it does. That's why people that drag race make sure their car is cold before they run again.
2000_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

Region: Maryland
I swear i was just saying that this morning
jayred98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing you have to do before you hot rod your car when it's cold is oil viscosity needs to thin out a little for good flow and that take a few seconds. aside from that your car will always run better cold. I'd check your clutch cable to see if it's stretched. That's why I stayed away from adjustable cables cause they tend to stretch and lose their adjustments. Your clutch could be riding just enough to make it a pain to shift. I had a similar problem but that was because my new clutch engaged at the bottom of the pedal and you couldn't push the pedal far enough to full engage to clutch. I'd also check your throw out bearing. Even if it's not making any funny noises.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Mine seems quicker when its cold but it does not like to go into the gears as well until it warms up.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't have as much shifting probs cept when I try to select reverse. My tranny is a T45 but I am beginning to worry. I'm not ready for a tranny rebuild yet. I did a fluid change 1 yr ago. Did yours start like this? My car is all stock on the drive train.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
I don't have as much shifting probs cept when I try to select reverse. My tranny is a T45 but I am beginning to worry. I'm not ready for a tranny rebuild yet. I did a fluid change 1 yr ago. Did yours start like this? My car is all stock on the drive train.
My car does the same thing. Mechanic said it was a reverse sencro
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #8

Im thinking it has to do with the cable so I'll probably change it and see if that makes a difference. Is it possible the tri ax is wearing out, it's been in for 2 years now and when it was new I didn't have this issue. The only changes I've made to the drivetrain after the shifter is the gears and aluminum shaft, but obviously those would not effect having to shove it into gear. The throwing bearing needs to be changed but I didn't think that would cause this. I'm leaning towards its 100 degrees now and the car hates the heat, it did this last summer, and in the winter didn't notice it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about the problem. I've got the tri ax and it's been in longer then 2 years and it doesn't have a problem. I don't think shifters wear out that fast. But I'd start with the cable and go from there. Do you have bigger tires on it?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #10

255s and 315s
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a clutch I'd watch out of launches lol
Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
Im thinking it has to do with the cable so I'll probably change it and see if that makes a difference. Is it possible the tri ax is wearing out, it's been in for 2 years now and when it was new I didn't have this issue. The only changes I've made to the drivetrain after the shifter is the gears and aluminum shaft, but obviously those would not effect having to shove it into gear. The throwing bearing needs to be changed but I didn't think that would cause this. I'm leaning towards its 100 degrees now and the car hates the heat, it did this last summer, and in the winter didn't notice it.
You think tranny fluid type might help? I'm in NC so temps rarely stay at 100.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
If you have a clutch I'd watch out of launches lol
? +1
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I pretty much ruined my entire rear end launching my car at the track and I honestly think the only reason was the clutch and the tires. I've got a stage 3+ clutch so it doesn't slip at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT