I need help with this noise. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Yes right when I press on the brakes with any amount of pressure the noise goes away. You can kind of tell in the second video if you pay close attention.
K, that must be pad and/or caliper related. Check for simple stuff first. I think someone mentioned to check to see if the pads are loose. My brakes squeaked when I had a bad bracket thingy that held the pads in place. They stopped completely when this bracket thingy was replaced. Gonna look in my chiltons book for more brake replayed trouble spots.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
My Goodyear F1's are very noisy, and it's like a roar type sound. There might be other brands that are noisy, but this is no squeak or metallic chirp sound.
Are you referring to your noise or his noise? lol His noise sounds like a cricket in the back seat area....

after listen to the video its def back there outside the car....like mentioned I would check the breaks esp the brake pad shim rubbing against the rotor. IF you dont find anything wrong with the brakes check your drive shaft and see if it has play or makes a noise esp around your back u-joint. Also, check and see if the back u-joint can be greased up because if it has a nip on it then you can grease it up. Do so and see if the noise goes away. If know of this works then def say its a bearing.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #38
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Are you referring to your noise or his noise? lol His noise sounds like a cricket in the back seat area....
His noise. But wouldn't be related to his brakes or parking brake since it stops as soon as he touches the rakes while driving? Almost sounds like his pads are past the minimum thickness or the pistons are not disengaging completely, like maybe he needs to a caliper overhaul. Or am I way off?

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Mine had a broken pad clip that made the pads loose and the squeaked that was sorta similar to his. The difference is that my pad would also make a clunk sound right when the brakes were engaged, then the squeak would go away. After a while, it would make the noise you'd hear when the pads were exhausted. The dealer fixed mine cause they replaced the brakes just before I bought. (not related to my metallic sound from the other thread)
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Azure;1172178]His noise. But wouldn't be related to his brakes or parking brake since it stops as soon as he touches the rakes while driving? Almost sounds like his pads are past the minimum thickness or the pistons are not disengaging completely, like maybe he needs to a caliper overhaul. Or am I way off?[QUOTE]

Thats a good place to start but usually when any of this happens it should get louder as you apply the breaks. This noise is almost seems like it happens when he lets off the gas or at a coast.Yes if it was missing a clip then you would hear a clunk when the pad hit the rotor because its moving and hitting inside of the bracket. I have seen a u-joint make this noise some times all the time and sometimes just on coast or decel.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

voltage- Once you check your brakes and if you dont see anything wrong with them then put everything back on and jack the whole back car up making sure you chalk the front of the car so it won't roll forward and us jack stand under the read end. If it is a manual take it out of gear and let the parking break off. Then, go back there and put your hands on the tire and move it forward and backwards quickly and see if you hear the noise. If it is auto do the same but let it be in N position and let me know what you find.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Yeah no noise when I apply the brakes no squealing like the brakes are worn and no clunk or popping noise.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
Yeah no noise when I apply the brakes no squealing like the brakes are worn and no clunk or popping noise.
ok that takes car of the brakes did you see my post about the u-joint and want you can do to check it and greasing if it has a nipple on it?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I will look at the brakes as well as the u joint tomorrow, but I can be accelerating and it will still squeak, but I will look at it anyway.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will look at the brakes as well as the u joint tomorrow, but I can be accelerating and it will still squeak, but I will look at it anyway.
U-joints can make noises on accel too...just giving you some areas to check before buying parts. I mean i could be a bearing noise but there are alot of bearings back there that could be suspected. Just let us know whatcha find out....
Old 06-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Alright will do, thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Hope all that helps when you go to troubleshoot. I know how ya feel when you're trying to track down a noise. Southernstang, thanks for the greater detail.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so im really dreading taking the caliper off, because I dont know what side the squeak is comming from and just because I dont want to Haha. But do you think its safe to put the car up on jack stands and start it to get the tires spinning then see if I can hear the noise? Or should I just guess.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #47
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Ok so im really dreading taking the caliper off, because I dont know what side the squeak is comming from and just because I dont want to Haha. But do you think its safe to put the car up on jack stands and start it to get the tires spinning then see if I can hear the noise? Or should I just guess.
I think I would be doing this first anyway. I like to start at the easiest first. Southernstang00 mentioned what to look for I think. Good luck to you!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Well you guys are awesome, I undid the top bolt of the caliper and then realised I did not have the right wrench for the bottom bolt but I moved the brake pad a little and put the bolt back on, and now there is no noise comming from the drivers side but there still is on the passenger side. Tomorrow I will go to auto zone and buy some new brake pads and get them on to avoid the current ones starting to make noise again. I will let you guys know if the new brakes get rid of the problem completely. Thanks for everything everyone.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #49
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Well you guys are awesome, I undid the top bolt of the caliper and then realised I did not have the right wrench for the bottom bolt but I moved the brake pad a little and put the bolt back on, and now there is no noise comming from the drivers side but there still is on the passenger side. Tomorrow I will go to auto zone and buy some new brake pads and get them on to avoid the current ones starting to make noise again. I will let you guys know if the new brakes get rid of the problem completely. Thanks for everything everyone.
Booya!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, well thats good then did you notice if the pads were worn down enough to where it was hitting the warning indicator on the pads? Well why you are there changing the breaks grab a couple cans of brake cleaner and take the rotor off and spray them down good. Then, apply brake caliper grease on the back said of the pad where it comes in contact of the caliper, not the pad side where it contacts the rotor. Apply some on the brake caliper shim where the pad slides into, pull the pin that goes into the rubber boot on the bracket and lube it too, and lets see if this takes car of the noise.

If I were you I would go with the Duralast gold pads, I worked at autozone and the gold pads hardly ever came back. I have them on my stang and they have been on there since 05. The car is a 00 and the only reason i changed the ones on the back was because of the bracket messing up.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
ok, well thats good then did you notice if the pads were worn down enough to where it was hitting the warning indicator on the pads? Well why you are there changing the breaks grab a couple cans of brake cleaner and take the rotor off and spray them down good. Then, apply brake caliper grease on the back said of the pad where it comes in contact of the caliper, not the pad side where it contacts the rotor. Apply some on the brake caliper shim where the pad slides into, pull the pin that goes into the rubber boot on the bracket and lube it too, and lets see if this takes car of the noise.

If I were you I would go with the Duralast gold pads, I worked at autozone and the gold pads hardly ever came back. I have them on my stang and they have been on there since 05. The car is a 00 and the only reason i changed the ones on the back was because of the bracket messing up.
Yeah i could not tell if the pads were worn i could not get them off because i could not get the caliper all the way off but i will look at them tomorrow. And i will deffinetly do all the stuff you said, and i was thinking of getting the duralast gold pads so im glad you said something and bosted my confidence a litte. I will let you know how it goes.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah i could not tell if the pads were worn i could not get them off because i could not get the caliper all the way off but i will look at them tomorrow. And i will deffinetly do all the stuff you said, and i was thinking of getting the duralast gold pads so im glad you said something and bosted my confidence a litte. I will let you know how it goes.
You couldnt get the caliper off of both sides or just one? The back ones are kinda tricky to get off because they are the screw in type piston in the caliper. Normal, what i do is push the bracket pin all the way forward and kinda work the caliper off. Before we think its a caliper problem because its hard to get off, tell me about the pads are or even take a pic of them if you like and we will go from there. Then, I will have you check other things as well. I not a expert by no means because I go in depth just telling ya what i would do or have seen when I was a line tech.

Yea, im not a big fan of autozones stuff but IMO the GOLD brake pads are good.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You couldnt get the caliper off of both sides or just one? The back ones are kinda tricky to get off because they are the screw in type piston in the caliper. Normal, what i do is push the bracket pin all the way forward and kinda work the caliper off. Before we think its a caliper problem because its hard to get off, tell me about the pads are or even take a pic of them if you like and we will go from there. Then, I will have you check other things as well. I not a expert by no means because I go in depth just telling ya what i would do or have seen when I was a line tech.

Yea, im not a big fan of autozones stuff but IMO the GOLD brake pads are good.
Should of read this but I have the pads replaced on one side. But I have everything tightened as tight as I can and I can still move the roater and the caliper a little, is that bad? Or is it because the brake piston is not compressed on them?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Or is it because the brake piston is not compressed on them?
Correct....start the car and hit the brakes a few times and the e brake and then check it again. The rotor will still move but with some resis thoug.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Correct....start the car and hit the brakes a few times and the e brake and then check it again. The rotor will still move but with some resis thoug.
Thanks man I will do the other one and see how it goes.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man I will do the other one and see how it goes.
Sweet let me know whatcha find out....
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sweet let me know whatcha find out....
Aww man got the other side put back together when to auto zone and took them back their thing and no squeaks im so happy.
Here are the pictures of the old pads
They dont seem to bad to me but all I care is that the squeak is gone thanks for everything man. And do I need to break them in or am I good?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120603_130807.png
Views:	97
Size:	632.9 KB
ID:	53038   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120603_130819.png
Views:	104
Size:	807.2 KB
ID:	53039  

Old 06-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #58
Lorraine's driver

Regular

This is awesome! Looks like your new pads are better quality too.

You do new to break them in or seat the pads to the rotors properly. Anybody know the proper technique for seating new break pads?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This is awesome! Looks like your new pads are better quality too.

You do new to break them in or seat the pads to the rotors properly. Anybody know the proper technique for seating new break pads?
Yes, the two ways I do this is go down a non busy road and get up to say like ten mph or 15 and brake hard but not too hard to scretch tires. Do this twice and you will be alrighty since its the back that you changed. Understand? Another way is to go down the road around 20 MPH and slowly pull the e brake up until it starts to slow you down until you stop do this twice but do not apply the brake pedal. THis is how I do it and never have problems
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, the two ways I do this is go down a non busy road and get up to say like ten mph or 15 and brake hard but not too hard to scretch tires. Do this twice and you will be alrighty since its the back that you changed. Understand? Another way is to go down the road around 20 MPH and slowly pull the e brake up until it starts to slow you down until you stop do this twice but do not apply the brake pedal. THis is how I do it and never have problems
Alright thanks for all the help, you to azure. And everyone else.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Aww man got the other side put back together when to auto zone and took them back their thing and no squeaks im so happy.
Here are the pictures of the old pads
They dont seem to bad to me but all I care is that the squeak is gone thanks for everything man. And do I need to break them in or am I good?
The pad level looks ok but I noticed in the picture that the pads are glazed over you could have taken a fine sand paper on a even surface and knocked the glaze off...but with the rust and etc I would have both new pads. You welcome glad the noise is gone.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The pad level looks ok but I noticed in the picture that the pads are glazed over you could have taken a fine sand paper on a even surface and knocked the glaze off...but with the rust and etc I would have both new pads. You welcome glad the noise is gone.
Yeah I dont mind I would rather just have new ones anyway, and me to.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I dont mind I would rather just have new ones anyway, and me to.
completely understand....
Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

After that brake in procedure you need to stop somewhere and let them cool off. Use decel and e-brake to come to a complete stop. Avoid completely stopping with brakes. Just firm braking will do no need to smash em to the floor. After that I usually try to avoid hard braking maneuvers for 25-30 miles just to make sure.
5-Speed-IUP, Predator tuned, k&n cai,Mrt shifter,Hooker Lts-o/f x-pipe, KC clutch,Alum flywheel,FR 4:10's. Upr rear control arms. Forged Teksid Eaton swap in progress!

WickedStangs Mustang Club
Tulsa,OK Chapter President
TtownMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMach1 View Post
After that brake in procedure you need to stop somewhere and let them cool off. Use decel and e-brake to come to a complete stop. Avoid completely stopping with brakes. Just firm braking will do no need to smash em to the floor. After that I usually try to avoid hard braking maneuvers for 25-30 miles just to make sure.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks thats what I did. But I just drove 30 miles and the drivers side brake smells hot..... What did I do now?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks thats what I did. But I just drove 30 miles and the drivers side brake smells hot..... What did I do now?
Let them cool off and drive it again...new brakes might smell like that for a small bit. I say after a driving it for a little bit then if the smell doesnt go away check it out but as long as it isnt smoking your alright
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let them cool off and drive it again...new brakes might smell like that for a small bit. I say after a driving it for a little bit then if the smell doesnt go away check it out but as long as it isnt smoking your alright
Alright
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Well I herd the squeak again but I only really herd it on the bumps. So im thinking its may be my strut rubbing on my shock because I did notice some rub marks today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120603_181602.png
Views:	111
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	53113  
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I herd the squeak again but I only really herd it on the bumps. So im thinking its may be my strut rubbing on my shock because I did notice some rub marks today.
How many miles are on the car? Before you do anything else have someone ride in the back seat of the car and go for a ride and see if you can hear noise? See if it is coming from inside...before you replace anymore parts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT