I need help with this noise. - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

How many miles are on the car? Before you do anything else have someone ride in the back seat of the car and go for a ride and see if you can hear noise? See if it is coming from inside...before you replace anymore parts
42,000 and ok
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
42,000 and ok
While you are driving the car go find some small speed bumps in a non conjested area and while someone is in the backseat with the seats folded down go over them a few times and see if the noise happens?... and let me know. Im still convenced its has nothing to do with the drivetrain or brakes. Oh, and make sure you have the back seats folded down too so where that person can crawl in the trunk area and see if he can track the noise down if he hears it. I know that sounds crazy but I have down it before to find a noise.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

While you are driving the car go find some small speed bumps in a non conjested area and while someone is in the backseat with the seats folded down go over them a few times and see if the noise happens?... and let me know. Im still convenced its has nothing to do with the drivetrain or brakes. Oh, and make sure you have the back seats folded down too so where that person can crawl in the trunk area and see if he can track the noise down if he hears it. I know that sounds crazy but I have down it before to find a noise.
I will definitely do it to make sure, but it is 90 percent quieter after the brakes. So im still happy about that.
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

alrighty but thats good that isnt so loud anymore...and happy
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

I will definitely do it to make sure, but it is 90 percent quieter after the brakes. So im still happy about that.
Ok homie I'm gonna solve your problem completely... I saw the video and all the pick, and judging on the pics of the old pads I could clearly tell your rotors need to be either turned or spend a lil more and replace them with some power slots... Also! This is highly important, if or when you have your rotors turned have the wheels taken off and rebalanced. I say this because I seen how you get on it, when you hot rod it like I do and do peel outs and such, that's what turns them outta balance. This in return is what causes the excessive wear on the rotors, that's where the squeak is coming from...
If you are wondering how the wheel gets out of balance, then this is a simple reason I can explain. See the wheels people buy for the cars like the aluminum ones on most mustangs are decent wheels. But the only bad rep these wheels Cary is slippage, like when someone gets on it or does some nice lil rubber burnin, that can cause the tire to slip on the wheel. See a tire is balance on a wheel one time, so if it slips outta place then it is no longer balanced. That's where you get the excessive caliper and rotor wear, hence where the squeak comes in... Sorry I just wrote the book there but I just wanted you to understand is all have a nice day...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Ok homie I'm gonna solve your problem completely... I saw the video and all the pick, and judging on the pics of the old pads I could clearly tell your rotors need to be either turned or spend a lil more and replace them with some power slots... Also! This is highly important, if or when you have your rotors turned have the wheels taken off and rebalanced. I say this because I seen how you get on it, when you hot rod it like I do and do peel outs and such, that's what turns them outta balance. This in return is what causes the excessive wear on the rotors, that's where the squeak is coming from...
If you are wondering how the wheel gets out of balance, then this is a simple reason I can explain. See the wheels people buy for the cars like the aluminum ones on most mustangs are decent wheels. But the only bad rep these wheels Cary is slippage, like when someone gets on it or does some nice lil rubber burnin, that can cause the tire to slip on the wheel. See a tire is balance on a wheel one time, so if it slips outta place then it is no longer balanced. That's where you get the excessive caliper and rotor wear, hence where the squeak comes in... Sorry I just wrote the book there but I just wanted you to understand is all have a nice day...
Um I like the effort but wheel imbalance is not going to create unusual break pad and rotor wear. Those are caused by your driving habits. The most common way to get a noise out of the brakes is to get rocks caught between the rotors and pads. The wheel imbalance will cause a humming noise depending on how bad the tire is wearing. Tires wear just from day to day driving.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Ok homie I'm gonna solve your problem completely... I saw the video and all the pick, and judging on the pics of the old pads I could clearly tell your rotors need to be either turned or spend a lil more and replace them with some power slots... Also! This is highly important, if or when you have your rotors turned have the wheels taken off and rebalanced. I say this because I seen how you get on it, when you hot rod it like I do and do peel outs and such, that's what turns them outta balance. This in return is what causes the excessive wear on the rotors, that's where the squeak is coming from...
If you are wondering how the wheel gets out of balance, then this is a simple reason I can explain. See the wheels people buy for the cars like the aluminum ones on most mustangs are decent wheels. But the only bad rep these wheels Cary is slippage, like when someone gets on it or does some nice lil rubber burnin, that can cause the tire to slip on the wheel. See a tire is balance on a wheel one time, so if it slips outta place then it is no longer balanced. That's where you get the excessive caliper and rotor wear, hence where the squeak comes in... Sorry I just wrote the book there but I just wanted you to understand is all have a nice day...
Alright thanks for the info, i definetaly need to rebuild the funds before i go buying some sloted rotors or do anything pretty much. But thanks i will keep researching and may end up swaping them out in a couple pay checks.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Um I like the effort but wheel imbalance is not going to create unusual break pad and rotor wear. Those are caused by your driving habits. The most common way to get a noise out of the brakes is to get rocks caught between the rotors and pads. The wheel imbalance will cause a humming noise depending on how bad the tire is wearing. Tires wear just from day to day driving.
Yah I still say driving habits is what is causing the noise... Ur right though could even be something like that. But he woulda found them silly rocks when he took all his car apart and inspected it not to mention he replaced pads already once...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Um I like the effort but wheel imbalance is not going to create unusual break pad and rotor wear. Those are caused by your driving habits. The most common way to get a noise out of the brakes is to get rocks caught between the rotors and pads. The wheel imbalance will cause a humming noise depending on how bad the tire is wearing. Tires wear just from day to day driving.
Yeah and i forgot to metion that my tires are wearing perfectly and my mechanic was even impressed when he was fixing my exaust.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Yah I still say driving habits is what is causing the noise... Ur right though could even be something like that. But he woulda found them silly rocks when he took all his car apart and inspected it not to mention he replaced pads already once...
Look at the pics bro. You can clearly tell them rotors need to be turned they are uneven and worn out that's what I'm sayin ha ha...

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Yeah and i forgot to metion that my tires are wearing perfectly and my mechanic was even impressed when he was fixing my exaust.
Be careful bratha because when you say my mechanic really worries me! All those mechanics are really good for is pretending to be your buddy to get ya back in their shop... That is unless they are family then much less to worry about. That's is also unless that family mechanic has something against you then you really better watch out ha ha ha lmao just kidding...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Look at the pics bro. You can clearly tell them rotors need to be turned they are uneven and worn out that's what I'm sayin ha ha...

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------



Be careful bratha because when you say my mechanic really worries me! All those mechanics are really good for is pretending to be your buddy to get ya back in their shop... That is unless they are family then much less to worry about. That's is also unless that family mechanic has something against you then you really better watch out ha ha ha lmao just kidding...
Yeah im not to worried he is a family freind and everytime he fixes something i just stand in the shop and watch him. And he charges me almost nothing for labor. But i really only use him when i need a torch or a welder or if its something that i just flat out dont want to do myself.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Yeah im not to worried he is a family freind and everytime he fixes something i just stand in the shop and watch him. And he charges me almost nothing for labor. But i really only use him when i need a torch or a welder or if its something that i just flat out dont want to do myself.
Good good I like you then man, I like to do as much as I can by myself, although I have not owned my stang very long I already know more about it than anyone else, because I've had the chance to find another lil project beside my poor truck I recked last year, and man just from taking all the rigged crap off it and just restoring the damage people have done to it over the years... Man that just makes me appreciate it that much more... Oh yah I did my own x-pipe mid pipe recently I'm also proud I was able to do that, it just make you feel proud to do stuff like that, and to work on your car to gain a lil more know how, you know...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Um I like the effort but wheel imbalance is not going to create unusual break pad and rotor wear. Those are caused by your driving habits. The most common way to get a noise out of the brakes is to get rocks caught between the rotors and pads. The wheel imbalance will cause a humming noise depending on how bad the tire is wearing. Tires wear just from day to day driving.
+10000 a out of balance wheel isnt going to cause a squeak noise nor where your brakes out. It will cause a premature faliure of your wheel bearing though. You noise has nothing to do with an out of balance wheel/tire.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
[/COLOR]

Be careful bratha because when you say my mechanic really worries me! All those mechanics are really good for is pretending to be your buddy to get ya back in their shop... That is unless they are family then much less to worry about. That's is also unless that family mechanic has something against you then you really better watch out ha ha ha lmao just kidding...
Yea you are right, a mechanic or AKA MOchanic you have to watch out for. Because they find MORE reason to rip you off. A person that knows what he is doing and doesn't ripe you off is automotive technician lol...
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tominkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 374
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
My car mad the same sound!! Took it to the dealer... They could not tell what it was , so the use some kind of special tool that would listen to the frame and traced out the trouble!! It was the control are on the right front!!! They replaced it and the sound was gone and has never came back!!!! So check the front control arm!!! I bet that's it!!!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

+10000 a out of balance wheel isnt going to cause a squeak noise nor where your brakes out. It will cause a premature faliure of your wheel bearing though. You noise has nothing to do with an out of balance wheel/tire.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------



Yea you are right, a mechanic or AKA MOchanic you have to watch out for. Because they find MORE reason to rip you off. A person that knows what he is doing and doesn't ripe you off is automotive technician lol...
Exactly this is what I was tryin to say just didn't come out quite right...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Exactly this is what I was tryin to say just didn't come out quite right...
haha its cool man I knew what you meant just givin ya a hard time
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
My car mad the same sound!! Took it to the dealer... They could not tell what it was , so the use some kind of special tool that would listen to the frame and traced out the trouble!! It was the control are on the right front!!! They replaced it and the sound was gone and has never came back!!!! So check the front control arm!!! I bet that's it!!!!!
Yeah its comming from the back of the car, and what did that cost you to have them figure out where it was coming from?
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tominkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 374
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Nothing!!! It was a factory defect!! And it was the front right bushing!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Good good I like you then man, I like to do as much as I can by myself, although I have not owned my stang very long I already know more about it than anyone else, because I've had the chance to find another lil project beside my poor truck I recked last year, and man just from taking all the rigged crap off it and just restoring the damage people have done to it over the years... Man that just makes me appreciate it that much more... Oh yah I did my own x-pipe mid pipe recently I'm also proud I was able to do that, it just make you feel proud to do stuff like that, and to work on your car to gain a lil more know how, you know...
Yeah I have only had my car for probably 3 months, before that I had a grand cherokee that I lifted and put big a tires on and a whole bunch of other stuff, needless to say it went through a lot of parts. But it was fun to do and to fix. The best part was that you did not even need a jack, you could just slide underneath.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
Nothing!!! It was a factory defect!! And it was the front right bushing!!!
Interesting, if you pushed on the car and rocked it could you hear the noise?
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tominkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 374
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
They at first had no idea where it was coming from! I had to take it in twice!! But the found it!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Not really!! That's what made it so hard to find!! It was next to the exhaust .. So the hotter it got... The louder it got!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Voltage- before you do anything else I would at least do what I said with the speed bump to see if you can hear it like I mention in a earlier post.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
They at first had no idea where it was coming from! I had to take it in twice!! But the found it!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Not really!! That's what made it so hard to find!! It was next to the exhaust .. So the hotter it got... The louder it got!!!
Huh there interesting

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Voltage- before you do anything else I would at least do what I said with the speed bump to see if you can hear it like I mention in a earlier post.
And I will for sure. Im not planning on doing anything that is going to cost money for a while. Unless I absolutely know what it is.
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

thats good, because when it comes to noises like this then you can spend all kinds of money on a "hunch" what it might be because it can rake up your bill quickly.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
thats good, because when it comes to noises like this then you can spend all kinds of money on a "hunch" what it might be because it can rake up your bill quickly.
Haha yeah
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Haha yeah
You said you can rock it and it makes that noise? How old are the shock? Hears a good idea, get ya one of them cheap stethoscopes from like Walmart or your mom if she's a nurse and try listening for it... Like one could drive it real slow and one could follow along and listen, hit the brakes a couple times, and maybe hit a speed bump like ol boy said... I don't know it's an idea???

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

You said you can rock it and it makes that noise? How old are the shock? Hears a good idea, get ya one of them cheap stethoscopes from like Walmart or your mom if she's a nurse and try listening for it... Like one could drive it real slow and one could follow along and listen, hit the brakes a couple times, and maybe hit a speed bump like ol boy said... I don't know it's an idea???
Na I listened to it again that def is not shocks.... I don't know man could be your e brake that's an idea? Ol boy said his was bushings that's not a bad idea neither...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

You said you can rock it and it makes that noise? How old are the shock? Hears a good idea, get ya one of them cheap stethoscopes from like Walmart or your mom if she's a nurse and try listening for it... Like one could drive it real slow and one could follow along and listen, hit the brakes a couple times, and maybe hit a speed bump like ol boy said... I don't know it's an idea???
No I cannot hear it if I rock my car around, if I could that would be nice then it would probably be easy to find the noise. And I normally cannot hear the noise in till about 25mph

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

You said you can rock it and it makes that noise? How old are the shock? Hears a good idea, get ya one of them cheap stethoscopes from like Walmart or your mom if she's a nurse and try listening for it... Like one could drive it real slow and one could follow along and listen, hit the brakes a couple times, and maybe hit a speed bump like ol boy said... I don't know it's an idea???

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------



Na I listened to it again that def is not shocks.... I don't know man could be your e brake that's an idea? Ol boy said his was bushings that's not a bad idea neither...
And my problem with the bushings is, why would it get quieter when I hit the brakes. It also seems like if it was bushings I could rock the car and hear the squeak at least I could with my jeep when it had squeaking bushings. But Its suspension also had much more travel so that could of been the reason
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

You said you can rock it and it makes that noise? How old are the shock? Hears a good idea, get ya one of them cheap stethoscopes from like Walmart or your mom if she's a nurse and try listening for it... Like one could drive it real slow and one could follow along and listen, hit the brakes a couple times, and maybe hit a speed bump like ol boy said... I don't know it's an idea???

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------



Na I listened to it again that def is not shocks.... I don't know man could be your e brake that's an idea? Ol boy said his was bushings that's not a bad idea neither...
Man that just drives me nuts!!! I put my headphones in I can hear it real good now, and my theory I think is way off. But although if your rotors are worn uneven, do you think the rotors are rubbing something when their spinning?..
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Man that just drives me nuts!!! I put my headphones in I can hear it real good now, and my theory I think is way off. But although if your rotors are worn uneven, do you think the rotors are rubbing something when their spinning?..
And thats the other thing that has me baffled is if it was the rotors you think the squeak would be a consistent pattern, and it really is not. I actually just listened to it again and it is consistent but when I hit bums it changes and that seems weird if it was the rotors.
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

And thats the other thing that has me baffled is if it was the rotors you think the squeak would be a consistent pattern, and it really is not.
Well what do ya think about the stethoscope trick? I know it sounds dumb but hey you never know it might help you out...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Well what do ya think about the stethoscope trick? I know it sounds dumb but hey you never know it might help you at...
Seems like a good idea, but how am I going to get the stethoscope under the car to listen while its moving? Not exactly room for my arm anywhere unless im laying underneath it.
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Seems like a good idea, but how am I going to get the stethoscope under the car to listen while its moving? Not exactly room for my arm anywhere unless im laying underneath it.
Ok get Your buddy, and jack up the rear, chock the front. Then just have him hit the gas till a lil after 25mph and get under and listen for it... I think the boys from earlier were right maybe it is bearings...

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Ok get Your buddy, and jack up the rear, chock the front. Then just have him hit the gas till a lil after 25mph and get under and listen for it... I think the boys from earlier were right maybe it is bearings...
And how come a lot of people block their pics from viewing? When people are posting on a thread I occasionally like to view their rides but can't because they're blocked... Must think they are to beautiful for viewing I guess I don't know lol...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltage258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Utah
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Ok get Your buddy, and jack up the rear, chock the front. Then just have him hit the gas till a lil after 25mph and get under and listen for it... I think the boys from earlier were right maybe it is bearings...

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------



And how come a lot of people block their pics from viewing? When people are posting on a thread I occasionally like to view their rides but can't because they're blocked... Must think they are to beautiful for viewing I guess I don't know lol...
I put it up on jack stands and accelerated to about 30 and listened for it but didn't not hear it. But then again I was sitting in my car so I will have someone else do it while I listen..... And your second thought is really random. Haha.
__________________
If your getting good gas mileage, your not having fun.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Reason you didnt hear it is because it doesnt have anything to do with your drivetrain. Its prolly only going to do it when the frame or suspension is under a load. Its not your rotor, if it was your rotor you would hear a rubbing or a really bad metal on metal noise and you would have heard it when you had the car up on jack stands. Its either a bushing or something loose somewhere. Have you tried what i mentioned in the other post yet?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
Reason you didnt hear it is because it doesnt have anything to do with your drivetrain. Its prolly only going to do it when the frame or suspension is under a load. Its not your rotor, if it was your rotor you would hear a rubbing or a really bad metal on metal noise and you would have heard it when you had the car up on jack stands. Its either a bushing or something loose somewhere. Have you tried what i mentioned in the other post yet?
Sounds reasonable...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: I need help with this noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Sounds reasonable...
yep, and the only reason I would say it isnt a bushing is because the sound is distorted by wind noise, road noise, etc. Most of the time bushings will cause either popping or a rubber on metal noise for example your rubber handle bar grips on a bicycle when you try to turn them. If you want to elimnate the bushing take a can of wd40 and spray every bushing you see on the rear of the car including the rear shock tower bushings. That noise in the first video and the one where be puts his phone on the gas tank sounds like its coming from the b pillar all the way back to the trunk area. Depending on where he mounted the phone on the gas tank, long story short sound does travel through metal and the phone have been acting like a stethoscope.

That sounds like a metal to metal noise with something slightly loose like a bolt or screw. I have had a rear seat frame bolt come slightly loose and you hear the seat frame squeak agaisnt another metal object it is connected too. I had three people here listen to it that work on cars back at home like I do and they all say the same thing. Imo, thats what i would be looking for.

Possible a rear u-joint and you can only hear it when the car is on the ground and applying a load on the tires, diff, all the way to the rear ujoint. If you can have someone stand at the end of your drive or on a road and drive past them at 25mph and see if they hear it as you pass by. If it is something on the outside they will hear it.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:51 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.