I need help with this noise. - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

yep, and the only reason I would say it isnt a bushing is because the sound is distorted by wind noise, road noise, etc. Most of the time bushings will cause either popping or a rubber on metal noise for example your rubber handle bar grips on a bicycle when you try to turn them. If you want to elimnate the bushing take a can of wd40 and spray every bushing you see on the rear of the car including the rear shock tower bushings. That noise in the first video and the one where be puts his phone on the gas tank sounds like its coming from the b pillar all the way back to the trunk area. Depending on where he mounted the phone on the gas tank, long story short sound does travel through metal and the phone have been acting like a stethoscope.

That sounds like a metal to metal noise with something slightly loose like a bolt or screw. I have had a rear seat frame bolt come slightly loose and you hear the seat frame squeak agaisnt another metal object it is connected too. I had three people here listen to it that work on cars back at home like I do and they all say the same thing. Imo, thats what i would be looking for.

Possible a rear u-joint and you can only hear it when the car is on the ground and applying a load on the tires, diff, all the way to the rear ujoint. If you can have someone stand at the end of your drive or on a road and drive past them at 25mph and see if they hear it as you pass by. If it is something on the outside they will hear it.
Have not had the time yet. But when I do I will do it for sure.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Re: I need help with this noise.

WELL what are you waiting for?!? lol jk...I understand completely been there done that lol just let us know whatcha find.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
WELL what are you waiting for?!? lol jk...I understand completely been there done that lol just let us know whatcha find.
Haha yeah it sucks. And I will. And do you work nights or what? This is the second early morning that you have replied quickly.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well crawled in the back and could hear it but just barley, but when you roll the windows down its as loud as it was before the new pads... But I made a new discovery today, when I go around a gentle curve to the right It goes away but if I go left it is still there. Could it be a bearing and the weight of the car when I go right makes it stop? Still does not make sense that it stops when I touch the brakes, if it is a bearing.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258 View Post
Well crawled in the back and could hear it but just barley, but when you roll the windows down its as loud as it was before the new pads... But I made a new discovery today, when I go around a gentle curve to the right It goes away but if I go left it is still there. Could it be a bearing and the weight of the car when I go right makes it stop? Still does not make sense that it stops when I touch the brakes, if it is a bearing.
sorry dude, I missed the post but Im deployed over seas and we are 8 hours ahead of yall so when it is 2pm there its 10 pm here.

Ok, so since you said it makes the noise when you go in corners and stuff then I would say wheel bearing for sure on the left side. But since you will popping the rear end cover off and removing the bolt that holds the axles in place then DO BOTH with new races with should come with the bearings.

Just a FYI if you go to autozone or etc and you ask for a rear wheel bearing and they tell you that can't or dont have it cuz its listed as N/A then ask for a Axle Bearing because thats really what they are called but they are the same thing though. Different part stores list things different.....
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

sorry dude, I missed the post but Im deployed over seas and we are 8 hours ahead of yall so when it is 2pm there its 10 pm here.

Ok, so since you said it makes the noise when you go in corners and stuff then I would say wheel bearing for sure on the left side. But since you will popping the rear end cover off and removing the bolt that holds the axles in place then DO BOTH with new races with should come with the bearings.

Just a FYI if you go to autozone or etc and you ask for a rear wheel bearing and they tell you that can't or dont have it cuz its listed as N/A then ask for a Axle Bearing because thats really what they are called but they are the same thing though. Different part stores list things different.....
It's all good. And it doesn't make any extra noise when cornering, the squeaky noise just goes away.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's all good. And it doesn't make any extra noise when cornering, the squeaky noise just goes away.
Well, if you are going to do the work then go ahead and change the axle/wheel bearings shouldnt cost more then a $100 bucks if you do your own work.

Other then that you can check and see if the drive shaft and see if it is making a noise or take to a shower and see what they find out.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, if you are going to do the work then go ahead and change the axle/wheel bearings shouldnt cost more then a $100 bucks if you do your own work.

Other then that you can check and see if the drive shaft and see if it is making a noise or take to a shower and see what they find out.
Ok thanks, I will probably just take it to the stealership. Im starting to think its the wheel bearings as well, but if I do all that work to change them and the noise is still there I will be pissed so yeah, im not sure what I want to do yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks, I will probably just take it to the stealership. Im starting to think its the wheel bearings as well, but if I do all that work to change them and the noise is still there I will be pissed so yeah, im not sure what I want to do yet.
Just go in the dealership and tell them what it is doing and where the noise is coming from. If the car is given to a good tech there then im sure he will find the prolly which im sure they will give it to a good tech because problems like that are given to a newbie. I have worked a lot of dealership and know how they give the work out depending on the problem. Then, I would just pay the check out fee and do the work yourself because thats going to be a high dollar repair at the dealership depending on their hourly rate. I would do both sides if it were my car but thats me...let me know what they find out send me a PM
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just go in the dealership and tell them what it is doing and where the noise is coming from. If the car is given to a good tech there then im sure he will find the prolly which im sure they will give it to a good tech because problems like that are given to a newbie. I have worked a lot of dealership and know how they give the work out depending on the problem. Then, I would just pay the check out fee and do the work yourself because thats going to be a high dollar repair at the dealership depending on their hourly rate. I would do both sides if it were my car but thats me...let me know what they find out send me a PM
Alright thanks I it may be a couple weeks but I will get there eventually
Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

haha iight thats cool I have all the time in the world in this place.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #117
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
What's up southernstang00, got a Q about the wheel/axle bearings. When you replace them, does the bolt hold them in inside the diff? Also, are there any special tools you need? And finally, when you go to cap it and refill the diff, does it have to be level with the ground? Sorry for so many Q's.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

There is a pin that goes through the middle of the diff keeping the spider gears in place and axles as well. To get the pin out you will need to remove a small bolt (6-8 mm) and the pin will come out.

Special tools you might need a low range TQ wrench for TQin the bolt because you dont want to over tighten it and run the risk of breaking or such.

Filling it up I would suggest on the ground but you can fill it up in the air cuz it prolly will take about 2 bottles I believe. I would rather do it on the ground cuz the diff will be even and you will get a better reading. Either way it doesnt matter but once it is on the ground check it by pullling the fill plug out and if fluid runs out and then you are ok. If no then add some until you get fluid running out. Go to a autoparts store and get a siphon gun and use it to fill the rear end because its easier. No worries im here to answer anything you need.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #119

Region: Pennsylvania

Check to see if any calipers are hanging up, may even be a bent axle shaft, not letting a brake release on the rear, had the same problem,had a bent axle shaft, mine is a 1998 GT.
mchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I had a noise similar to that except it was my muffler swaying n bumping my driveshaft so make sure all ur hangers are secure!
silver98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver98gt View Post
I had a noise similar to that except it was my muffler swaying n bumping my driveshaft so make sure all ur hangers are secure!
Im going to crawl under it again and look for fun. Im pretty sure everything is solid under there but i will look just to be sure.
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Hope this helps!! Maybe you already checked it's. I just listened to your videos! My car made the exact same noise!! Drove me batty !! Took it to the dealership!! Took them 3 times looking at it!! I thought it was coming from the back, what it turned out to be after hooking it up to some kind of sound scope it was my front A arm bushing, The sound was traveling thru the frame!! They replaced it and the noise was gone!! I swore it was coming from the back.... But it wasn't!!! !!! 2 other people I've talked to had the se noise .. And it turned out to be the same thing!! So You might check it!!!!! It would only make the noise when driving!! It would notable the noise if just pushing up and down on the fender!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
its your brakes. my dads truck had the same deal. he changed his brakes and it went away
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
Hope this helps!! Maybe you already checked it's. I just listened to your videos! My car made the exact same noise!! Drove me batty !! Took it to the dealership!! Took them 3 times looking at it!! I thought it was coming from the back, what it turned out to be after hooking it up to some kind of sound scope it was my front A arm bushing, The sound was traveling thru the frame!! They replaced it and the noise was gone!! I swore it was coming from the back.... But it wasn't!!! !!! 2 other people I've talked to had the se noise .. And it turned out to be the same thing!! So You might check it!!!!! It would only make the noise when driving!! It would notable the noise if just pushing up and down on the fender!!!
Alright, I just washed my car and noticed that the noise was gone for about 2 miles after I got done and then it started again. You think water getting on it would stop the noise. And how would I check that if I cant make it, make a sound by pushing on it? And did your noise stop when you stepped on the brakes?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96
its your brakes. my dads truck had the same deal. he changed his brakes and it went away
And I already changed the pads and it did nothing, but I still think it is the brakes some how.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

All you can do is visually inspect them
!! If they look rusty or the bushings are as hard as rock 'n. my would stop making noise when i would put on the breaks!! What happens is when you put on the breaks it would put pressure on the bushing on the A-arm and it wouldn't make noise!! Same as washing it!!! The water would lube the bushing until it gets hot . Than the noise would come back!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All you can do is visually inspect them
!! If they look rusty or the bushings are as hard as rock 'n. my would stop making noise when i would put on the breaks!! What happens is when you put on the breaks it would put pressure on the bushing on the A-arm and it wouldn't make noise!! Same as washing it!!! The water would lube the bushing until it gets hot . Than the noise would come back!!!!
Alright man I will look and maybe spray some lithium grease on it to see if that does anything.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Good idea!!!!! Let me know'nnn
Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage258

Alright, I just washed my car and noticed that the noise was gone for about 2 miles after I got done and then it started again. You think water getting on it would stop the noise. And how would I check that if I cant make it, make a sound by pushing on it? And did your noise stop when you stepped on the brakes?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

And I already changed the pads and it did nothing, but I still think it is the brakes some how.
you have to change the rotors too
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Do you need to take the caliper off to get to it?
Just went and bought a set of 8 to install. New pads sometimes dont include them in the kit. Got them at o'rileys.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

Just went and bought a set of 8 to install. New pads sometimes dont include them in the kit. Got them at o'rileys.
Installed clips, no more squeaks.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Alright man I will look and maybe spray some lithium grease on it to see if that does anything.
Hey buddy I just looked, and AM has a total bushing kit for front to back of the car for a buck eighty... Can't beat that!
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Hey buddy I just looked, and AM has a total bushing kit for front to back of the car for a buck eighty... Can't beat that!
Sprayed the bushings and its still there, so I dont think its bushings and they only have 40,000 miles so they are not worn vert bad I dont think.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote:

What are you talking about? You lost me.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sprayed the bushings and its still there, so I dont think its bushings and they only have 40,000 miles so they are not worn vert bad I dont think.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Oh ok well I tried ha ha...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh ok well I tried ha ha...
Yeah thanks but it would be a mother effer to change all those only to still have the noise. Im just going to take it to the stealership some day. So they can fondal my wallet....
Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah thanks but it would be a mother effer to change all those only to still have the noise. Im just going to take it to the stealership some day. So they can fondal my wallet....
Ha ha more than that! More like gang rape... And when they are workin in the shop they'll be playin that one rap song? "tryin to catch me riddin dirty" lmao....
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Anti rattle clips.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ha ha more than that! More like gang rape... And when they are workin in the shop they'll be playin that one rap song? "tryin to catch me riddin dirty" lmao....
Hahah yeah sadly enough.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote:

Anti rattle clips.
Oh I see
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Well... Sorry that didn't help! Don't know what to tell you!! I guess you have gremlins in your car!!!! Good luck on finding what it is!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well... Sorry that didn't help! Don't know what to tell you!! I guess you have gremlins in your car!!!! Good luck on finding what it is!!!
Thanks anyway. Its hard because everyone says they have the same noise, but they all fixed it in different ways. Haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT