1997 cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Post 1997 cobra

A local dealership has this car for sale....Look at the pictures really close and tell me whats wrong with this car...I wouldnt buy this car for three reason see if someone can spot them

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe Cobra
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think that's way to much for a 97' and the back bumper and front should be different.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00
A local dealership has this car for sale....Look at the pictures really close and tell me whats wrong with this car...I wouldnt buy this car for three reason see if someone can spot them

1997 Ford Mustang Coupe Cobra
Hmm first I would say price it too high.... 10k and thts not including fees and what not so mayb like 12k for a car with 130k miles... Too much if you ask me
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 1997 cobra

I bought my 98 cobra convertable with 72000 miles that is more the admazing shape and owned twice with by two old guys where it stayed in the garage most of the time. When you sit in the car it still smells brand new for 8400. Mine has leather too and this car doesnt, the front hood is a GT hood, the front bumper is a GT bumper the rear bumper is the same as far as i can tell like you gus said. I called about this car and they guy said its a cobra, well i told him about the stuff above and his answer was its a limited edition cobra lol....I was like dude you need to google the cars you are selling before you try to sell a car to a person that knows more then you do. lmao
Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I went and checked out this cobra Sunday. Its completely stock as far as exhaust goes and maybe engine. It has a hole in the driver side seat and the where the front bumper and headlight meet there's a small little crack on the passenger side but overall its not a bad car it looked to be adult driven. The paint is pretty good and rims. It wouldn't be a bad buy for like a good project car if they could come down on the price. I think its worth $7900.
fordman901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman901 View Post
I went and checked out this cobra Sunday. Its completely stock as far as exhaust goes and maybe engine. It has a hole in the driver side seat and the where the front bumper and headlight meet there's a small little crack on the passenger side but overall its not a bad car it looked to be adult driven. The paint is pretty good and rims. It wouldn't be a bad buy for like a good project car if they could come down on the price. I think its worth $7900.
Man, I wouldnt buy it for that much...reason for this is because why did they change the bumper, hood, and rear bumper to a GT bumper? Only thing I can think of is it has been wrecked and someone didnt want to pay for the reg stuff....Its been on there for a good while. You in the memphis area?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yea i am in memphis. about the bumpers it could of have been in a wreck because when i open the door you can see like another layer of paint.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea i am in memphis. about the bumpers it could of have been in a wreck because when i open the door you can see like another layer of paint.
aw okie, well at least I know someone that is on here from my area lol...and yea I think it was if you said it had that in the door. if I were going to get that car I would offer 5-6 for it because its not worth what they are asking for it nor the trade in valve of it. But I dont buy cars that are wrecked....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ok, but it would make a fun project car.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, but it would make a fun project car.
Yeah I agree it would but not at what they want for it lol
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Did the 97 cobras have a option of the hood and the bumper to be like the GT ones? The dealership swears up and down that its stock.....and not wrecked.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know but it could be a possibility. It is strange that this car has the correct rear bumper but the hood and front bumper is a gt.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know, its a cobra no doubt....she said that the autocheck or something said it wasnt wrecked before. BUT it could have been wrecked but they didnt claim it on insurance and did the repair by their self. I sent them a email saying I had 7 geez and I would come get it today and she told me she had to talk it over with her manager lol.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

They said i could come get the car for 7 grand....lol if I only had 7 grand lol
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
No there is no option for those bumpers. Is the car in millington? Check out the 94 cobra at city auto... It's much worse than that one and alot more
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

yeah its in millington why you live near Memphis too? is there a website Im not at home right now...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would have them do the auto check right in front of you, they will tell you anything to get cars sold
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty View Post
I would have them do the auto check right in front of you, they will tell you anything to get cars sold
Oh I would but that doesnt mean anything....it could have been wrecked and never reported it.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

r those the rims that would've come on a legit cobra in '97?!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
yeah its in millington why you live near Memphis too? is there a website Im not at home right now...
Yupp. Live in horn lake, work in memphis
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Really with all of the crap involved with the car I wouldn't waste my time IMO
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
r those the rims that would've come on a legit cobra in '97?!
Yes

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
They probably only have about 5 or so in it
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Yupp. Live in horn lake, work in memphis
Sweet, I live in olive branch and work at fedex in memphis

Oh im not buying the car because of the bumper and hood because they didnt come like that and someone wouldnt put all of that on there if the car was stock.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

haha, they really want to sell that car cuz she told me they have 5500 in it and they would take that. So I told her I wasnt going to buy it because my friend looked at it and said that it should have the same hood and bumper as my 98 cobra. The sales person wouldnt say anything about that but told me its a 97 and it going to have minor dents and scratches...lol. I didnt say anything about scratches and dents lol.

I even told the salesperson that I looked up the car on carfax and it should 6 history reports so what does that tell you? But you did a check on it and it came up with nothing, I love when I catch a salesperson in a lie and doesnt know anything about a car.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
haha, they really want to sell that car cuz she told me they have 5500 in it and they would take that. So I told her I wasnt going to buy it because my friend looked at it and said that it should have the same hood and bumper as my 98 cobra. The sales person wouldnt say anything about that but told me its a 97 and it going to have minor dents and scratches...lol. I didnt say anything about scratches and dents lol.

I even told the salesperson that I looked up the car on carfax and it should 6 history reports so what does that tell you? But you did a check on it and it came up with nothing, I love when I catch a salesperson in a lie and doesnt know anything about a car.
Did it say they were history reports or accident history reports. If you don't pay for the carfax sometimes it just tells you there are history reports. On my cars carfax they came back as dealership maintenance the orig owner it robbed on.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

oh I dunno I wasnt going to pay for it....but with the hood and bumper and supposely the door hanging up its clearly been wrecked.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
oh I dunno I wasnt going to pay for it....but with the hood and bumper and supposely the door hanging up its clearly been wrecked.
Lmao I know a gt when I see one that's not a cobra bro... You know your mustangs just jumped in here so didn't really read the other post. But if you are looking to buy a cobra this is not it! Lmao ha ha ha....

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

Lmao I know a gt when I see one that's not a cobra bro... You know your mustangs just jumped in here so didn't really read the other post. But if you are looking to buy a cobra this is not it! Lmao ha ha ha....
9,900$! Ahh ha ha ha ha these fools are bad scam artist lmao....

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Man does a snake smile before it bits you I'd say move on find another car, or what's this a quiz to see if people know their mustangs???
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Man does a snake smile before it bits you I'd say move on find another car, or what's this a quiz to see if people know their mustangs???
Pulls up on Carfax as a cobra, so you must not know a gt when you see one.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #29

Region: Georgia

WAY TO MUCH!
66mustangstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Pulls up on Carfax as a cobra, so you must not know a gt when you see one.
Whatever man how do ya figure? Where did you get your car fax? The badges are backwards, want 3x more than what it's worth, and people are cloning these ponies all the time now a days... I still say its a gt... I need a lil better look like at the interior and engine bay... Oh yah and last I'd remember ford specialized the cobra with better interior, not with a two tone gt style one...
Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Whatever man how do ya figure? Where did you get your car fax? The badges are backwards, want 3x more than what it's worth, and people are cloning these ponies all the time now a days... I still say its a gt... I need a lil better look like at the interior and engine bay... Oh yah and last I'd remember ford specialized the cobra with better interior, not with a two tone gt style one...
Oh its a cobra man, I ran it through CarFax ( CARFAX� - Official Site - Vehicle History Reports on Used Cars for Sale), had my dad take the vin to the Ford dealership in my town and had them run the vin, and YES cobras do come with two tone cloth interior. I friend of mine has one and its a REAL cobra.

This car was wrecked and who ever owned it didnt want to spend the money for the cobra bumper, hood, and thats prolly why the badges are backwards. The reason its prolly not showing up on any reports if it is, who ever owned it didnt want to claim it on insurance so it prolly isnt showing up and it had the wrong stuff. Plus if they person was trying to make a cobra clone I seriously DOUBT that they would go as far as putting the cobra motor, cobra on the driver side air bag, cobra on the rear bumper, and cobra wing. Then, not but the correct cobra bumper and hood on? C'mon think about it unless they are really stupid to forget those two things and spend all of that money to make it a cobra clone and then trade it in.....its a cobra homie the VIN doesnt lie because you can't change that.

Trust me I know my cars and I can tell you its a cobra but lacks the right hood and front bumper with a very high price. Yes, the badges are there and on wrong but they are still there lol I give them some credit on that, wrong bumper, hood, badges being off equals wreckage lol

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Nope, just wanted to see if someone would point out the same stuff I saw and also show people that they can always go looking for a car and not be able to spot things wrong with it. Also, to show how I thought it was funny that they are selling a 97 cobra with 124K miles with the wrong hood, bumper and etc on it for alsome 10 grand when I gave 8400 for my 98 cobra convertable that was in more then Awesome condition over this one.

Yes, you are going to get ripped off buying a car for that much and its condition at the same time it goes to show you that dealerships are hurting and greedy. I dont get ripped off when I go car shoping I find one, look it up to see how much its worth for its condition, check the car out 100% for problems, and them make them an offer. I go in there give them a reasonable figure for the car and tell them to call me if they can make it on my terms ( not according to financing the car terms) and if they are close to 800 to 1000 to my offer I will go for it. If they arent I go some where else, I know they have to make money and all of the fees thats fine but they are going to rip me off.

Go here there is more pictures of it: http://memphis.craigslist.org/ctd/3072499421.html
Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I generally get my Carfax from Carfax.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

here is more proof its a cobra: 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe Free VIN Search and Decoder - VIN Number 1FALP47V4VF144629

Leather seats was a opt not a standard.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
here is more proof its a cobra: 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra Coupe Free VIN Search and Decoder - VIN Number 1FALP47V4VF144629

Leather seats was a opt not a standard.
Yah I saw all that was wrong with it especially the driver door I guess the video fooled me, I really thought that was a gt.... I hate it when I'm wrong...

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote:

Yah I saw all that was wrong with it especially the driver door I guess the video fooled me, I really thought that was a gt.... I hate it when I'm wrong...
Soo how bad was it wrecked? And what did you offer them for their gt wanna be?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Never seen a Cobra with anything other then leather seats..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT