Sub frame connectors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Sub frame connectors

Which ones would be best to get for a 98 cobra convertable? The bolt ones or the wield ones?
Would it be benifical to get the ones with the seat brace too?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Weld on for sure. Either maximum motorsports full lengths or steeda full length. Most use the MMs
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Sub frame connectors

Yea im looking at the Full Length ones from MM for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

FULL LENGTH weld in ONLY, dont go with any others. You can get bare steel ones from maximum motorsports for around 120 or so~ powdercoated are fine but have to be grinded where they will be welded. The bare steel have to be painted with rust proof paint really good but they hold up well.

install really really needs to be done on a drive on lift (ask before taking) and you should be good. Dont go cheap get a good brand.

it makes a big difference in creeks and noise as well as how the car feels.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
^ nice to know that about the lift!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
FULL LENGTH weld in ONLY, dont go with any others. You can get bare steel ones from maximum motorsports for around 120 or so~ powdercoated are fine but have to be grinded where they will be welded. The bare steel have to be painted with rust proof paint really good but they hold up well.

install really really needs to be done on a drive on lift (ask before taking) and you should be good. Dont go cheap get a good brand.

it makes a big difference in creeks and noise as well as how the car feels.
Im def going with the MM bare steel ones no doubt....and the shop that is going to do them has done them before and Im assuming that they do them on a lift because its a full auto shop including painting. But when I have my dad take it up there I will make sure he tells them to do it on a lift.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The important thing that he is trying to point out is that it needs to be a drive on lift not a multiple point lift. They need to be welded on when the car is positioned just like it would sit on the ground meaning all wheels need to be one the lift
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Talking Re: Sub frame connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
The important thing that he is trying to point out is that it needs to be a drive on lift not a multiple point lift. They need to be welded on when the car is positioned just like it would sit on the ground meaning all wheels need to be one the lift
Yeah I got what he was saying, I just not at home and my dad is going to have to take it up there to get it done. Its a shop but i dunno what all kinds of lifts or how he did my dads friends car.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

its not just doing it on a lift, it needs to be a drive on lift and the reason is so the weight is on the wheels just like sitting on the ground, this makes sure the body lines remain the same, when you lift a car the body lines move if its not on a drive on lift so the wheels are holding the weight of the car~
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
its not just doing it on a lift, it needs to be a drive on lift and the reason is so the weight is on the wheels just like sitting on the ground, this makes sure the body lines remain the same, when you lift a car the body lines move if its not on a drive on lift so the wheels are holding the weight of the car~
Yeah, this guy doesnt have a drive on lift just a four point lift. Im not sure if im going to let him do it...but the speed that did my work doesnt even have a drive lift so im not sure where im going to do it at.

One question though, does the sub frame connectors need to be installed before or after I lower the car with lowering springs or does it matter?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The springs do not matter. You can also find a shop that has an alignment rack that is the best place to have them installed. It's a must to have the suspension loaded
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ohok gotcha, well im going to wait until I get back to have them installed.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

it wont matter if its before or after springs, the issue you want to avoid is jacking the car up on jack stands and altering how it sits (body line wise) then welding on the wub frames~ this messes up the door jams etc.

It CAN technically be done on a 4 post lift but you have to be VERY careful to ensure when the car is raised the body lines and fitment doesnt change. Basically dont do it.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it wont matter if its before or after springs, the issue you want to avoid is jacking the car up on jack stands and altering how it sits (body line wise) then welding on the wub frames~ this messes up the door jams etc.

It CAN technically be done on a 4 post lift but you have to be VERY careful to ensure when the car is raised the body lines and fitment doesnt change. Basically dont do it.
Well I got to wait until i can do the springs anyway cuz im going to put them on when I drop the kmember for the headers.

This guy that I use alot has a shop and he did my dads friends 95 cobra and it turned out well but from what I understand he did it on a four point lift. I asked him if the doors and stuff opening good and etc and he said yes....The speed shop that did the engine I know doesnt have a drive on lift so im not sure how they do them.

I dont really know anyone around there that has a drive on lift and can weld them. What do you think I should do....
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I went with MM bare and I installed them myself without a lift but you have to make sure you have it lifted to collapse the suspension as if it was sitting on the ground. Also I'm a skilled welder so that wasn't an issue. I'd suggest taking it to someone who knows how to weld if you don't have a clue.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
What are these sub frame connectors for?? Might be a dumb question but i dont know ha
2000_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Strengthen the frame. Drastically reduces body roll and body flex and you won't warp your frame after alot of racing.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Increases the stiffness of the car and doesn't allow the chassis to twist. Convertibles come with them(not sure about hard tops), however the stockers are weak. I went with MM and got their powder coated versions for like 155-160. Of course you have to sand it down where it welds in so I painted that area with a good black rust proof paint.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have them welded on. Really stiffens up the chassis of my vert. Along with I have a brace 5 point connector (approx 14 bolts) with oil pan guard. Was handy when I was 3 inches off the floor. Raised the car since but let springs in case I get an itch to lower again.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well i got them on the way, the guy that did my dad's freind's car had to do the right because he doesnt have a problem with them. I think I might wait until I get home to have them installed on the car so I can see how he does them before I actually let him install them.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
All you need is your suspension loaded to where the full weight I the vehicle is compressing the suspension on a normal basis you can use a 4 point lift, 4 jack stand of if your thin enough or a really good welder you can do it while the ride sits on all 4 but I wouldn't recommend doing it that way lol
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas97gt View Post
All you need is your suspension loaded to where the full weight I the vehicle is compressing the suspension on a normal basis you can use a 4 point lift, 4 jack stand of if your thin enough or a really good welder you can do it while the ride sits on all 4 but I wouldn't recommend doing it that way lol
Well I might have to let him do it because I have jack stands, right tools, and knowledge but don't know crap about welding. I prolly would catch the car on fire. lol
Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Lol yeah there is a big difference between welding welding on cars especially when it comes down to suspension and or structual parts
Vegas97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yea I agree...im not doing it im going to let someone else do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT