front end problem! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
front end problem!

hey all,
gotta do a tie rod or ball joint... wondering if anybody knows how i can tell for sure if it's the inner/ outer tie rod, or just my ball joint???

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

symptom listed in prior post "need help" yesterday... thanks for any advice! gotta order parts so i can try and do the job this weekend.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: front end problem!

tie rod ends normal you will have access play in the steering.But you can jack the car up and see if you can move the tire left and right and see if there is play. Inner tie rod ends most like dont usu go out on our new mustangs but its possible. I would just do the outter cuz its cheaper if they are bad.

Ball joints you can try to move the tire up and down if there is play then its a ball joint but you have to see where the play came from either the top or bottom. Hope that helps....
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

no movement up n down. yes movement left to right. i can get inner for 10 Bucks(no kidding!), and outer for under 30... maybe should just buy/do both at same time?
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
no movement up n down. yes movement left to right. i can get inner for 10 Bucks(no kidding!), and outer for under 30... maybe should just buy/do both at same time?
I would do outter first....because the inner I do beleave you have to pop the boot off in order to get it.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Jack up front from the lower control arm and lift up on the wheel with a pry bar if there's play you will see it and shake the wheel horizontally to check tie rods you will see them move if they are bad
Burkeys96GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT